The excitation of an antisymmetric trapped mode on a symmetric metamaterial resonator is experimentally demonstrated. We use an active electronic device to break the electrical symmetry and therefore to generate this trapped mode on a symmetric spilt ring resonator. Even more, with such a tunable mode coupling resonator, we can precisely tune the resonant mode frequency. In this way, a shift of up to 15 percent is observed.
1. Smith, D., W. Padilla, D. Vier, S. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
3. Parazzoli, C. G., R. B. Greegor, K. Li, B. E. C. Koltenbah, and M. Tanielian, "Experimental verification and simulation of negative index of refraction using snell's law," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 90, 107401, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.90.107401
4. Soukoulis, C. M., "Bending back light: The science of negative index materials," Optics & Photonics News, Vol. 17, 16-21, 2006. doi:10.1364/OPN.17.6.000016
5. Iyer, A. K., P. C. Kremer, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Experimental and theoretical verification of focusing in a large, periodically loaded transmission line negative refractive index metamaterial," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, 696-708, 2003. doi:10.1364/OE.11.000696
6. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Application of the transmission line theory of left-handed (LH) materials to the realization of a microstrip LH transmission line," IEEE-AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 412-415, 2002.
7. Martin, F., F. Falcone, J. Bonache, R. Marques, and M. Sorolla, "Split ring resonator based left handed coplanar waveguide," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, 4652, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1631392
8. Shadrivov, I. V., S. K. Morrison, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Tunable split-ring resonators for nonlinear negative-index metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, 9344-9349, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.009344
9. Prosvirnin, S. and S. Zouhdi, "Resonances of closed modes in thin arrays of complex particles," Advances in Electromagnetics of Complex Media and Metamaterials, S. Zouhdi et al. (eds.), 281--290, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 2003.
10. Fedotov, V. A., M. Rose, S. L. Prosvirnin, N. Papasimakis, and N. I. Zheludev, "Sharp trapped-mode resonances in planar metamaterials with a broken structural symmetry," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 99, 147401, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.99.147401
11. Penciu, R. S., K. Aydin, M. Kafesaki, T. Koschny, E. Ozbay, E. N. Economou, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Multi-gap individual and coupled split-ring resonator structures," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 18131-18144, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.018131
12. He, W., Z. Ma, C.-P. Chen, T. Anada, and Y. Kobayashi, "A compact dual-band bandpass filter using stub-loaded two-mode resonators and direct source-load coupling to obtain improved stopband characteristics," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 3, 618-621, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.24129