In the paper the unified design procedure for planar dipoles oriented on UWB application is proposed. The procedure leads to obtain a good matching characteristic of planar dipoles in UWB frequency band. The design process is split into two parts: the radiator and the balun design. The Radiator Quality Factor (RQF) is defined as an evaluation suitability of planar radiators to be matched in UWB frequency band. Based on RQF, the optimal circular radiator is chosen, and the whole dipole antenna is designed. The general algorithm of antenna design is formulated and utilised in the planar dipole with elliptical arms project. Two antennas, with circular and elliptical arms, have been fabricated and measured in order to verify the design procedure. Both antennas are characterized by the reflection coefficient less than -10 dB from 2 GHz up to 14 GHz.
"Unified Design Procedure for Planar Dipoles Oriented on UWB Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 102, 249-265, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10012105
1. FCC, "First report and order," Revision of Part 15 of the Commissions Rules Regarding Ultra Wideband Transmission Systems, ET Docket 98-153, FCC 02-48, 2002.
2. Wiesbeck, W., G. Adamiuk, and C. Sturm, "Basic properties and design principles of UWB antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 372-385, 2009. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2008838
3. Lin, C.-C. and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08070502
4. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstrip-FED two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080701
5. Cerny, P. and M. Mazanek, "Optimized ultra wideband dipole antenna," 18th Int. Conf. on Applied Electromagnetics and Communications , 1-4, 2005.
6. Duncan, C. and E. Lule, "Half disc element dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symposium, Vol. 4A, 189-192, 2005.
7. Lule, E., T. Babi, and K. Siwiak, "Diamond dipole antenna for ultra-wideband communications," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 46, No. 6, 536-538, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21040
8. Horita, A. and H. Iwasaki, "A planar dipole antenna with wideband characteristics for UWB and wireless LAN," Electronics and Communications in Japan, Vol. 90, No. 12, 22-30, 2007. doi:10.1002/ecja.20395
9. Quintero, G. and A. K. Skrivervik, "Analysis of planar UWB elliptical dipoles fed by a coplanar stripline," IEEE Int. Conf. on Ultra-wideband, Vol. 1, 113-116, 2008. doi:10.1109/ICUWB.2008.4653297
10. Chan, K. C. L. and Y. Huang, "A novel CPS-fed balanced wideband dipole for ultra-wideband applications," First European Conf. on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, 2006.
11. Kim, Y.-G., D.-S. Woo, K. W. Kim, and Y.-K. Cho, "Design of bow-tie-type UWB antennas using an ultra-wideband balun," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symposium, 1989-1992, 2007.
12. Vahdani, M. and X. Begaud, "Wideband integrated CPS-fed dual polarized quasi bow-tie antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2130-2136, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24588
13. Guo, Y. X., Z. Y. Zhang, L. C. Ong, and M. Y. W. Chia, "A new balanced UWB planar antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 49, No. 1, 114-118, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.22040
15. Dadgarpour, A., G. Dadashzadeh, M. Naser-Moghadasi, and F. Jolani, "Design and optimization of compact balanced antipodal staircase bow-tie antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 8, 1135-1138, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2034282
16. Carro, P. L. and J. de Mingo, "Ultrawideband parallel strip antennas designed by genetic algorithms," IEEE 66th Vehicular Technology Conf., 2047-2050, 2007.
17. Su, S.-W. and K.-L.Wong, "Printed band-notched ultra-wideband quasi-dipole antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 48, No. 3, 418-420, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21368
18. Tu, W.-H. and K. Chang, "Wide-band microstrip-to-coplanar stripline/slotline transitions," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1084-1089, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.864127
19. Pergol, M., W. Zieniutycz, and , "New planar dipole radiator for UWB application," Int. Conf. on Microwaves, Radar and Wireless Communications, MIKON2008 , 1-4, 2008.
20. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1982.
21. Pergol, M. and W. Zieniutycz, "UWB planar antenna dipole in the sandwich configuration," Int. Conf. on Antenna Theory and Techniques ICATT'09, 187-189, 2009.
22. Schantz, H. G., "Planar elliptical element ultra-wideband dipole antennas," IEEE Symposium Antennas and Propagation Society International , Vol. 3, 43-46, 2002.