A theoretical analysis of the properties of the defect modes in a one-dimensional defective photonic crystal (PC) is given. Two defective PCs stacked in symmetric and asymmetric geometries are considered. The defect modes are investigated by the calculated wavelength-dependent transmittance for both TE and TM waves. It is found that there exists a single defect mode within the photonic band gap (PBG) in the asymmetric PC. There are, however, two defect modes within the PBG in the symmetric one. The dependences of defect modes on the angle of incidence are illustrated. Additionally, the effect of defect thickness on the number of defect modes is also examined.
7. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, "Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light," Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1995.
8. Yariv, A. and P. Yeh, "Photonics," Oxford University Press, New York, 2007.
9. Srivastava, R., K. B. Thapa, S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Omni-direction reflection in one dimensional photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 133-143, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08020601
10. Srivastava, R., S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional reflection in photonic crystal heterostructures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 197-208, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102903
11. Awasthi, S. K., U. Malaviya, S. P. Ojha, N. K. Mishra, and B. Singh, "Design of a tunable polarizer using a one-dimensional nano sized photonic bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 133-152, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08021004
12. Golmohammadi, S., Y. Rouhani, K. Abbasian, and A. Rostami, "Photonic bandgaps in quasiperiodic multilayer using Fourier transform of the refractive index profile," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 311-325, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09091701
13. Banerjee, A., "Tunable polarizer using a one-dimensional nano sized photonic bandgap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 133-152, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08021004
14. Banerjee, A., "Enhanced temperature sensing by using one-dimensional ternary photonic band gap structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 129-137, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09080101
15. Wu, C.-J., B.-H. Chu, M.-T. Weng, and H.-L. Lee, "Enhancement of bandwidth in a chirped quarter-wave dielectric mirror," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 437-447, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787612365
16. Wu, C.-J., B.-H. Chu, and M.-T. Weng, "Analysis of optical reflection in a chirped distributed Bragg reflector," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 129-138, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604643
17. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of permittivity and permeability," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
18. Hsu, H.-T. and C.-J. Wu, "Design rules for a Fabry-Perot narrow band transmission filter containing a metamaterial negative-index defect ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 101-107, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09032803
19. Wang, Z.-Y., X.-M. Cheng, X.-Q. He, S.-L. Fan, and W.-Z. Yan, "Photonic crystal narrow filters with negative refractive index structural defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 421-430, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121002
20. Boedecker, G. and C. Henkle, "All-frequency effective medium theory of a photonic crystal," Optics Express, Vol. 13, 1590-1595, 2003. doi:10.1364/OE.11.001590
21. Ha, Y. K., Y. C. Yang, J. E. Kim, and H. Y. Park, "Tunable omnidirectional reflection bands and defect modes of a one-dimensional photonic band gap structure with liquid crystals," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 79, 15-17, 2001. doi:10.1063/1.1381414
22. Lu, Y. Q. and J. J. Zheng, "Frequency tuning of optical parametric generator in periodically poled optical superlattice LiNbO3 by electro-optic effect," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 74, 123-125, 1999. doi:10.1063/1.122971
23. Zhu, Q. and Y. Zhang, "Defect modes and wavelength tuning of one-dimensional photonic crystal with lithium niobate," Optik, Vol. 120, 195-198, 2009.
24. Wu, C.-J., J.-J. Liao, and T. W. Chang, "Tunable multilayer Fabry-Perot resonator using electro-optical defect layer," Journal , Vol. 24, 531-542, 2010.
25. Hu, X., Q. Gong, S. Feng, B. Cheng, and D. Zhang, "Tunable multichannel filter in nonlinear ferroelectric photonic crystal," Optics Communication, Vol. 253, 138-144, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2005.04.056
26. Liu, J., J. Sun, C. Huang, W. Hu, and D. Huang, "Optimizing the spectral efficiency of photonic quantum well structures," Optik, Vol. 120, 35-39, 2009.
27. Smith, D. R., R. Dalichaouch, N. Kroll, S. Schultz, S. L. McCall, and P. M. Platzman, "Photonic band structure without and with defect in one-dimensional photonic crystal," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B: Optical Physics, Vol. 10, 314-321, 1993. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.10.000314
28. Qiao, F., C. Zhang, and J. Wan, "Photonic quantum-well structure: Multiple channeled filtering phenomena," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 77, 3698-3700, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.1330570