Guided-wave propagation in chiral H-guides is analyzed, using a building-block approach. In a first stage, a 2D chiral parallel-plate waveguide is studied using a frequency dispersion model for the optically active medium, where the constitutive chiral parameter is assumed to be dependent on the gyrotropic parameter. In the second stage, the mode matching technique and the transverse resonance method are used to characterize the 3D structure. A full parametric study is presented for a fixed frequency. The operational and dispersion diagrams for the chiral H-guide are presented. By replacing the common isotropic slab with a chiral slab, chirality provides an extra degree of freedom in the design of new devices.
1. Cory, H., "Chiral devices --- An overview of canonical problems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 9, No. 5-6, 805-829, 1995. doi:10.1163/156939395X00929
2. Svedin, J. A. M., "Finite-element analysis of chirowaveguides," Electronics Lett., Vol. 26, No. 13, 928-929, June 1990. doi:10.1049/el:19900606
3. Pelet, P. and N. Engheta, "Modal analysis for rectangular chirowaveguides with metallic walls using the finite-difference method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 9, 1277-1285, 1992.
4. Cory, H., "Wave propagation along a closed rectangular chirowaveguide," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 14, 797-800, November 1993. doi:10.1002/mop.4650061406
5. Paiva, C. R. and A. M. Barbosa, "A method for the analysis of biisotropic planar waveguides --- Application to a grounded chiroslabguide ," Electromagnetics, Vol. 11, No. 1, 209-221, March 1991. doi:10.1080/02726349108908274
6. Engheta, N. and P. Pelet, "Modes in chirowaveguides," Optics Lett., Vol. 14, No. 11, 593-595, June 1989. doi:10.1364/OL.14.000593
7. Pelet, P. and N. Engheta, "The theory of chirowaveguides," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, No. 1, 90-98, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.43593
8. Mahamoud, S. F., "On mode bifurcation in chirowaveguides with perfect electric walls," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 6, No. 10, 1381-1392, 1992.
9. Toscano, A. and L. Vegni, "Effects of chirality admittance on the propagating modes in a parallel-plate waveguide partially filled with a chiral slab ," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 14, 806-809, November 1993. doi:10.1002/mop.4650061409
10. Cory, H. and S. Waxman, "Wave propagation along a fully or a partially loaded parallel plate chirowaveguides," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 141, No. 4, 299-306, August 1994. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19941237
11. Gomez, A., A. Lakhtakia, J. Margineda, G. J. Molina-Cuberos, M. J. Nunez, J. A. S. Ipina, A. Vegas, and M. A. Solano, "Full-wave hybrid technique for 3-D isotropic-chiral-material discontinuities in rectangular waveguides: Theory and experiment ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 56, 2815-2825, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2007190
12. Gomez, A., A. Vegas, and M. A. Solano, "A brief discussion on the di®erent formulations of the coupled mode method in chiral media: Application to the parallel-plate chirowaveguide," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 3, 181-185, August 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20245
13. Herman, W. N., "Polarization eccentricity of the transverse field for modes in chiral core planar waveguides," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 18, No. 11, 2806-2818, 2001. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.18.002806
14. Bahar, E., "Mueller matrices for waves reflected and transmitted through chiral materials: Waveguide modal solutions and applications," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 24, No. 7, 1610-1619, 2007. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.24.001610
15. Cesar, A. and R. Souza, "Uniaxial anisotropy effect on the non-radiative dielectric (NRD) waveguide performance," PIERS Proceedings, Vol. 1, 207, Hong Kong, January 1997.
16. Cesar, A. and R. Souza, "Full-wave analysis of a transversely magnetized ferrite nonradiative dielectric waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 41, 647-651, April 1993.
17. Topa, A. L., C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Full-wave analysis of a nonradiative dielectric waveguide with a pseudochiral omega slab ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, 1263-1269, September 1998. doi:10.1109/22.709468
18. Topa, A. L., C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Novel propagation features of double negative H-guides and H-guide couplers," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 2, 185-190, October 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21119
19. Topa, A. L., C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in omega waveguides: Discrete complex modes and application to a ridge waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 49, 309-331, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER04050702
20. Topa, A. L., C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Guidance and leakage behavior of uniaxial ridge waveguides," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 13, 1675-1684, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789566923
21. Oliner, A. A., S.-T. Peng, T.-H. Hsu, and A. Sanchez, "Guidance and leakage properties of a class of open dielectric waveguides: Part II --- New physical effects," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 29, 855-869, 1981. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1981.1130466
22. Condon, E. U. and Theory of optical rotatory power, "Rev. Mod. Phys.,", Vol. 9, 432-457, 1937.
23. Lakhtakia, A., V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, "Bohren's decomposition," Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields in Chiral Media, Vol. 335, 30-33, Edited by A. Lakhtakia, V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, Springer, Lecture Notes in Physics, 1989.