A novel hybrid adaptive iterative physical optics-method of moments (AIPO-MoM) technique is presented for the electromagnetic analysis of jet engine structures that are both electrically large and complex in both stationary and dynamic cases. In this technique, the AIPO method is used to analyze the smooth inlet region, and the MoM method is used to analyze the electrically complex compressor region, including blades and a hub. It is efficient and accurate by virtue of combining the respective merits of both methods. In the dynamic case, a concept for modified impedance equation is proposed to reduce computational load. Numerical results are presented and verified through comparison with Mode-FDTD and measured and commercial simulation packages results.
"A Novel Hybrid Aipo-MoM
Technique for Jet Engine Modulation Analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 104, 85-97, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10033103
1. Ross, D. C., J. L. Volakis, H. T. Anastassiu, and , "Hybrid finite element-modal analysis of jet engine inlet scattering," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 43, No. 3, 277-285, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.371997
2. Chia, T. T., R. J. Burkholder, and R. Lee, "The application of FDTD in hybrid methods for cavity scattering analysis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 43, No. 10, 1082-1090, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.467644
3. Choi, S. H., D. W. Seo, and N. H. Myung, "Scattering analysis of open-ended cavity with inner object," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1689-1702, 2007.
4. Ross, D. C., J. L. Volakis, and H. T. Anastassiu, "Efficient computation of radar scattering modulation from jet engines," Radio Sci., Vol. 31, No. 4, 991-997, 1996. doi:10.1029/96RS00780
5. Stupfel, B. and B. Despres, "A domain decomposition method for the solution of large electromagnetic scattering problems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, No. 11, 1553-1568, 1999. doi:10.1163/156939399X00592
6. Sharkawy, M. A., V. Demir, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "The iterative multi-region algorithm using a hybrid finite difference frequency domain and method of moments techniques," Progress In Electromagneitcs Research, Vol. 57, 19-32, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05071001
7. Ozgun, O. and M. Kuzuoglu, "Finite element analysis of electromagnetic scattering problems via iterative leap-field domain decomposition method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2-3, 251-266, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160668
8. Duan, Y., S. J. Lai, and T. Huang, "Coupling projection domain decomposition method and meshless collocation method using radial basis functions in electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 5, 1-12, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08092003
9. Martini, E., G. Carli, and S. Maci, "A domain decomposition method based on a generalized scattering matrix formalism and a complex source expansion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 19, 445-473, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10012110
10. Obelleiro-Basteiro, F., J. L. Rodriguez, and R. J. Burkholder, "An iterative physical optics approach for analyzing the electromagnetic scattering by large open-ended cavities ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 43, No. 4, 356-361, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.376032
11. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142818
12. Makarov, S. N., Antenna and EM Modeling with Matlab, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2002.
13. Pathak, P. H. and R. J. Burkholder, "A reciprocity formulation for the EM scattering by an obstacle within a large open cavity," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 41, No. 4, 702-707, 1993. doi:10.1109/22.231668
14. Leat, C. J., N. V. Shuley, and G. F. Stickley, "Triangular-patch model of bowtie antennas: Validation against Brown and Woodward ," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 145, No. 6, 465-470, 1998. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19981881
15. Rousseau, P. R. and R. J. Burkholder, "A hybrid approach for calculating the scattering from obstacles within large, open cavities," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 43, No. 10, 1068-1075, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.467642
16. Obelleiro, F., J. Campos-Nino, J. L. Rodriguez, and A. G. Pino, "A segmented approach for computing the electromagnetic scattering of large and deep cavities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 19, 129-145, 1998. doi:10.2528/PIER97100700
17. Anastassiu, H. T., J. L. Volakis, D. C. Ross, and D. Andersh, "Electromagnetic scattering from simple jet engine models," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 3, 420-421, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.486313