This paper presents a six-section multi-layer asymmetric 10 dB directional coupler based on offset broadside coupled striplines, using Low Temperature Co-fired Ceramic (LTCC) technology, which operates over a decade bandwidth from 1.8 to 18 GHz. It features high performance transitions between the external signal layer and the buried signal layers, as well as a novel mixed first section to solve the limitations of the coupler access bends. A prototype was manufactured that exhibits a return loss of better than 15 dB, isolation of better than 23 dB and a high coupling accuracy of 10.3±0.6 dB over the 1.8-18 GHz band. This design outperforms previously reported results in terms of bandwidth and shows excellent potential for microwave measurement applications.
"High Performance 1.8-18ghz 10-dB
Low Temperature Co-Fired Ceramic Directional Coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 104, 99-112, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10040704
1. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.
2. Moscoso-Martir, A., J. G.Wangemert-Perez, I. Molina-Fernandez, and E. Marquez-Segura, "Slot-coupled multisection quadrature hybrid for UWB applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 3, 143-145, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2013700
3. Sawicki, A. and K. Sachse, "Novel coupled-line conductor-backed coplanar and microstrip directional couplers for PCB and LTCC applications ," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1743-1751, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.812580
4. Gruszczynski, S. and K. Wincza, "Broadband multisection asymmetric 8.34-dB directional coupler with improved directivity," Asia-Paci¯c Microw. Conference, 1-4, 2007.
5. Fahmi, M. M., J. A. Ruiz-Cruz, K. A. Zaki, and A. J. Piloto, "Multilayer multi-section broadband LTCC stripline directional couplers," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 173-176, 2007.
6. Gruszczynski, S., K. Wincza, and K. Sachse, "Design of compensated coupled-stripline 3-dB directional couplers, phase shifters and magic-Ts --- Part I: Single-section coupled-line circuits ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3986-3994, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.884689
7. Gruszczynski, S., K. Wincza, and K. Sachse, "Design of compensated coupled-stripline 3-dB directional couplers, phase shifters and magic-Ts --- Part II: Broadband coupled-line circuits," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 9, 3501-3507, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.880649
8. Ju, I., I.-B. Yom, H.-S. Lee, and S.-H. Oh, "High performance vertical transition from DC to 70 GHz for system-on-package applications," Proc. 38th European Microwave Conference, 1338-1341, 2008.
9. Levy, R., "Tables for asymmetric multi-element coupled transmission-line directional couplers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 12, 275-279, 1964. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1964.1125809
10. Shelton, J. P., "Impedances of offset parallel-coupled strip transmission lines," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 14, No. 1, 1338-1341, 1966.