A scanning antenna at THz region is proposed and developed based on the quasi-optical techniques. It is composed of extended hemispherical lens/dielectric waveguide feed, inverse Cassegrain antenna, and transform lens. The extended hemispherical lens/dielectric waveguide feed is the key innovation of the scanning antenna. The inverse Cassegrain antenna is realized at THz region with special process and techniques, and the transform lens is used to match the input beam and the quasi-optical feed. The properties of the quasi-optical antenna are simulated with the FDTD method, and the experiments are carried out. The measured radiation pattern of the antenna is in agreement with the simulated result.
Hong Fu Meng,
"Scanning Antenna at THz
Band Based on Quasi-Optical Techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 108, 343-359, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10062810
1. Raisanen, A. V., "Challenges of Terahertz," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, Nov. 2007.
2. Lin, X. Q., T. J. Cui, Y. Fan, and X. Liu, "Frequency selective surface designed using electric resonant structures in Terahertz frequency bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 21-99, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604724
3. Javan Maleki, A. R. and N. Granpayeh, "Fast Terahertz wave switch/modulator based on photonic crystal structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 203-212, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604571
4. Cai, M. and E. P. Li, "A novel Terahertz sensing device comprising of a parabolic reflective surface and a bi-conical structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 61-73, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09090902
5. Chen, D. and H. Chen, "Highly birefringent low-loss Terahertz waveguide: Elliptical polymer tube," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1553-1562, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310792149623
6. Zhong, X. J., T. J. Cui, Z. Li, Y. B. Tao, and H. Lin, "Terahertz-wave scattering by perfectly electrical conducting objects," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2331-2340, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134443
7. Kong, F., K. Li, H. Huang, B. I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Analysis of the surface magnetoplasmon modes in the semiconductor slit waveguide at Terahertz frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 257-270, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08031224
8. Zhang, X. F., L. F. Shen, J. J. Wu, and T. J. Yang, "Terahertz surface plasmon polaritons on a periodically structured metal film with high confinement and low loss," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2451-2460, 2009.
9. Ghattan, Z., S. A. Izadi, and M. Shahabadi, "Analysis of Terahertz-induced optical phase modulation in nonlinear dielectric slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 13, 41-51, 2010.
10. Zocchi, F., et al., "Reconformable reflector for millimetre and submillimeter-wave reflector antennas," IEEE, 576-579, 2002.
11. Neilson, J. M., "An improved muitimode horn for gaussian mode generation at milimeter and sub millimeter wavelengths," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1077-1081, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.801282
12. Rebeiz, G. M., "Current status of integrated submillimeter-wave antennas," IEEE MTT-S Digest, BB3, 1145-1148, 1992.
13. Hesler, J. L., et al., "Analysis of an octagonal micromachined horn antenna for submillimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 6, 997-1001, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.931159
14. Zhang, Z. C. and W. B. Dou, "A compact THz scanning imaging system based on improved reverse-microscope system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1045-1057, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791585954
15. Howard, D. D. and D. C. Cross, "Mirror antenna dual-band lightweight mirror design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 3, 286-294, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143571
16. Brooker, G. M., "Conical-scan antennas for W-band radar systems," Proceedings of the International Radar Conference, 406-411, 2003.
17. Besso, P., M. Bozzi, M. Formaggi, and L. Perregrini, "A novel technique for beam-aberration correction and fast conical scan in deep-space antennas," International Symposium on Signals, Systems, and Electronics, 451-454, 2007. doi:10.1109/ISSSE.2007.4294510
18. An, G. and W. B. Dou, "Analysis of sphere lens quasi-optical monopulse-antenna/feed structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 1, 83-93, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393052955044
19. Goyette, T. M., et al., "1.56 Terahertz 2-frames per second standoff imaging," Proc. of SPIE, Terahertz Technology and Applications, Vol. 6893, Jan. 2008.
20. Grossman, E. N., et al., "A passive, real-time, Terahertz camera for security screening, using superconducting microbolometers," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1453-1456, 2009.
21. Xu, J. and G. C. Cho, "A real-time terahertz wave imager,", OSA/CLEO/QELS, 2008.
22. Lettington, A. H., et al., "Design and development of a high-performance passive millimeter imager for aeronautical applications," Optical Engineering, Vol. 44, No. 9, 093202, Sep. 2005. doi:10.1117/1.2050447
23. Song, Q., A. Redo-Sanchez, Y. Zhao, and C. Zhang, "High speed imaging with CW THz for security," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 7160, 2008.
24. Lettington, A. H., D. Dunn, M. Attia, and I. M. Blankson, "Passive millimeter-wave imaging architectures," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 5, S103-S110, 2003. doi:10.1088/1464-4258/5/4/363
25. OuYang, J., "A novel radiation pattern and frequency reconfigurable microstrip antenna on a thin substrate for wide-band and wide-angle scanning application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 167-172, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08101201
26. Yuan, H. W., S. X. Gong, P. F. Zhang, and X. Wang, "Wide scanning phased array antenna using printed dipole antennas with parasitic element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 187-193, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08011602