This study investigates the effects of incorporating Doppler velocity measurements directly into track association and maintenance parts for single and multiple target tracking unit in a multi function phased array radar (MFPAR). Since Doppler velocity is the major discriminant of clutter from a desired target, the measurement set has been expanded from range, azimuth and elevation angles to include Doppler velocity measurements. We have developed data association and maintenance part of a well known tracking method, Interacting Multiple Model Probabilistic Data Association Filter (IMMPDAF), with the Doppler velocity measurements and demonstrated the performance improvement through simulations in terms of track update interval, track maintenance rate, RMS position estimation error, probability of detection and processing time. Since Doppler velocity measurements are employed in track maintenance, non-linear filters are used in the scheme leading to the use of Extended Kalman Filter (EKF) based PDAF. Comprehensive simulations have revealed that using Doppler velocity measurements along with 3D position measurements in heavy clutter conditions lead to an increase in track maintenance rate, track update interval; a decrease in position estimation error, processing time and no considerable effect on the probability of detection. This result is very significant for the efficient use of the limited resources of a multi function phased array radar.
"Performance Evaluation of Track Association and Maintenance for a Mfpar with Doppler Velocity Measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 108, 249-275, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10070801
1. Bar-Shalom, Y., Multitarget-Multisensor Tracking: Principles and Techniques, YBS, 1995.
2. Blackman, D. and R. Popoli, Design and Analysis of Modern Tracking Systems, Artech House, 1999.
3. Shi, Z.-G., S.-H. Hong, and K. S. Chen, "Tracking airborne targets hidden in blind doppler using current statistical model particle filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 227-240, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08012407
4. Bi, S. Z. and X. Y. Ren, "Maneuvering target doppler-bearing tracking with signal time delay using Interacting multiple model algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 15-41, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08091501
5. Türkmen, I. and K. Güney, "Tabu search tracker with adaptive Neuro-fuzzy inference system for multiple target tracking," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 169-185, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06090601
6. Haridim, M., H. Matzner, Y. Ben-Ezra, and J. Gavan, "Cooperative targets detection and tracking range maximization using multimode ladar/radar and transponders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 44, 217-229, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03052001
7. Chen, J.-F., Z.-G. Shi, S.-H. Hong, and K. S. Chen, "Grey prediction based particle filter for maneuvering target tracking," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 237-254, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09042204
8. Sabatini, S. and M. Tarantino, Multifunction Array Radar: System Design and Analysis, Artech House, 1994.
9. Kural, F., F. Arıkan, O. Arıkan, and M. Efe, "Performance evaluation of the sequential track initiation schemes with 3D position and Doppler velocity measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 121-148, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09072306
10. Kural, F., F. Arıkan, O. Arıkan, and M. Efe, "Incorporating Doppler velocity measurement for track initiation and maintenance," IEE Seminar on Target Tracking: Algorithms and Applications, 107-114, 2006.
11. Kural, F., "Performance improvement of the multiple target tracking algorithms with the incorporation of Doppler velocity measurement,", Ph.D. Thesis, Hacettepe University, 2006.
12. Kural, F. and Y. Özkazanç, "A method for detecting rgpo/vgpo jamming," IEEE Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conference, 237-240, 2004. doi:10.1109/SIU.2004.1338303
13. Bizup, D. F. and D. Brown, "Maneuver detection using the radar range rate measurement," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 40, No. 1, 330-336, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAES.2004.1292169
14. Cassassolles, E., M. Ludovic, S. Herve, and B. Tomasini, "Integration of radar measurement attributes in the multiple hypothesis tracker results for track initiation," Proceedings of SPIE, Signal and Data Processing of Small Targets, Vol. 2759, 397-403, 1996.
15. Lacle, L. and J. Driessen, "Velocity-based track discrimination algorithms," IEE Target Tracking: Algorithms and Applications, Vol. 2759, 4.1-4.4, 1996.
16. Fitzgerald, R., "Simple tracking filters: Position and velocity measurements," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 18, 531-537, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAES.1982.309265
17. Farina, A. and S. Pardini, "Track-while scan algorithm in a clutter environment," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 14, 769-778, 1978. doi:10.1109/TAES.1978.308628
18. Wang, X., D. Musicki, and R. Ellem, "Fast track confirmation for multi-target tracking with doppler measurements," 3rd International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information, ISSNIP, 263-268, 2007. doi:10.1109/ISSNIP.2007.4496854
19. Wang, X., D. Musicki, R. Ellem, and F. Fletcher, "Enhanced multi-target tracking with doppler measurements," Information, Decision and Control, IDC, 53-58, 2007. doi:10.1109/IDC.2007.374525
20. Wang, X., D. Musicki, R. Ellem, and F. Fletcher, "Efficient and enhanced multi-target tracking with doppler measurements," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 45, 1400-1417, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAES.2009.5310307
21. Kameda, H., S. Tsujimichi, and Y. Kosuge, "Target tracking under dense environments using range rate measurements," Proceedings of the 37th SICE Annual Converence, International Session Papers, 927-932, 1998. doi:10.1109/SICE.1998.742946
22. Kosuge, Y., H. Iwama, and Y. Miyazaiki, "A tracking filter for phased array radar with range rate measurement," Proceedings of 1991 International Conference on Industrial Electronics, Control and Instrumentation (IECON 1), Vol. 3, 2555-2560, 1991. doi:10.1109/IECON.1991.238946
23. Yeom, S-W., T. Kirubarajan, and Y. Bar-Shalom, "Track segment association, fine-step IMM and initialization with Doppler for improved track performance," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 40, No. 1, 293-309, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAES.2004.1292161
24. Kirubarajan, T., Y. B. Shalom, W. D. Blair, and G. A. Watson, "IMMPDA solution to benchmark for radar resource allocation and tracking in the presence of ECM," ECC'97, 1-6, 1997.
25. Bar-Shalom, Y., Estimation and Tracking: Principles, Techniques, and Software, Artech House, 1993.
26. Bar-Shalom, Y., Multitarget-Multisensor Tracking: Applications and Advances Volume II, Artech House, 1993.
27. Campo, L., P. Mookerjee, and Y. Bar-Shalom, "State estimation for systems with sojourn-time-dependent Markov model switching," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 36, No. 2, 238-243, 1991. doi:10.1109/9.67304
28. Yang, C. and C. F. Lin, "Discrete-time mode filters for markovian jump processes," The First IEEE Regional Conference on Aerospace Control Systems Proceedings, 613-617, 1993. doi:10.1109/AEROCS.1993.721007
29. Watson, G. A. and W. D. Blair, "Tracking performance of a phased array radar with revisit time controlled using the IMM algorithm," IEEE National Radar Conference, 160-165, 1994.
30. Blair, W. D., G. A. Watson, S. Hoffman, and G. L. Gentry, "Benchmark problem for beam pointing control of phased array radar against maneuvering targets in the presence of ECM and false alarms," Proceedings of American Control Conference, 2601-2605, Seattle WA, 1995.
31. Daeipour, E., Y. Bar-Shalom, and X. Li, "Adaptive beam pointing control of a phased array radar using an IMM Estimator," Proc. American Control Conference, 2093-2097, Baltimore, MD, 1994.