We present fast and accurate solutions of electromagnetics problems involving realistic metamaterial structures using a lowfrequency multilevel fast multipole algorithm (LF-MLFMA). Accelerating iterative solutions using robust preconditioning techniques may not be sufficient to reduce the overall processing time when the ordinary high-frequency MLFMA is applied to metamaterial problems. The major bottleneck, i.e., the low-frequency breakdown, should be eliminated for efficient solutions. We show that the combination of an LF-MLFMA implementation based on the multipole expansion with the sparse-approximate-inverse preconditioner enables efficient and accurate analysis of realistic metamaterial structures. Using the robust LF-MLFMA implementation, we demonstrate how the transmission properties of metamaterial walls can be enhanced with randomlyoriented unit cells.
"Efficient Solutions of Metamaterial Problems Using a Low-Frequency Multilevel Fast Multipole Algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 108, 81-99, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071104
1. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, Apr. 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
2. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative-refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications, Wiley-IEEE, New Jersey, 2005. doi:10.1002/0471744751
3. Gokkavas, M., K. Güven, I. Bulu, K. Aydın, R. S. Penciu, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Özbay, "Experimental demonstration of a left-handed metamaterial operating at 100 GHz," Phys. Rev. B., Vol. 73, No. 19, 193103-1-193103-4, May 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.73.193103
4. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, 977-980, Nov. 2006.
5. Moss, C. D., T. M. Gregorczyk, Y. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Numerical studies of left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 315-334, 2002. doi:10.2528/PIER02052409
6. Gürel, L., Ö. Ergül, A. Ünal, and T. Malas, "Fast and accurate analysis of large metamaterial structures using the multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 179-198, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09060106
7. Ylä-Oijala, P., Ö. Ergül, L. Gürel, and M. Taskinen, "Efficient surface integral equation methods for the analysis of complex metamaterial structures," Proc. European Conf. on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1560-1564, 2009.
8. Ergül, Ö., T. Malas, Ç. Yavuz, A. Ünal, and L. Gürel, "Computational analysis of complicated metamaterial structures using MLFMA and nested preconditioners," Proc. European Conf. on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2007.
9. Song, J., C.-C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1488-1493, Oct. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.633855
10. Chew, W. C., J.-M. Jin, E. Michielssen, and J. Song, Fast and Efficient Algorithms in Computational Electromagnetics, Artech House, Boston, MA, 2001.
11. Ergül, Ö., Ç. Yavuz, A. Ünal, and L. Gürel, "Investigation of various metamaterial structures using multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., 1845-1848, 2007.
12. Greengard, L., J. Huang, V. Rokhlin, and S. Wandzura, "Accelerating fast multipole methods for the Helmholtz equation at low frequencies," IEEE Comput. Sci. Eng., Vol. 5, 32-38, Jul.-Sep. 1998.
13. Jiang, L. J. and W. C. Chew, "Low-frequency fast inhomogeneous planewave algorithm (LF-FIPWA)," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 2, 117-122, Jan. 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.11302
14. Darve, E. and P. Have, "A fast multipole method for Maxwell equations stable at all frequencies," Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A, Vol. 362, 603-628, Mar. 2004.
15. Wallén, H. and J. Sarvas, "Translation procedures for broadband MLFMA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 47-78, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER05021001
16. Xuan, L., A. Zhu, R. J. Adams, and S. D. Gedney, "A broadband multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., 1195-1198, 2004.
21. Chu, Y.-H. and W. C. Chew, "A multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electrically small composite structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 3, 202-207, Nov. 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20419
22. Jiang, L. J. and W. C. Chew, "A mixed-form fast multipole algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 12, 4145-4156, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.859915
23. Otani, Y. and N. Nishimura, "A periodic FMM for Maxwell's equations in 3D and its applications to problems related to photonic crystals," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 227, No. 9, 4630-4652, Apr. 2008. doi:10.1016/j.jcp.2008.01.029
24. Lee, J., J. Zhang, and C.-C. Lu, "Sparse inverse preconditioning of multilevel fast multipole algorithm for hybrid integral equations in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2277-2287, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834084
25. Malas, T. and L. Gürel, "Accelerating the multilevel fast multipole algorithm with the sparse-approximate-inverse (SAI) preconditioning," SIAM J. Sci. Comput., Vol. 31, No. 3, 1968-1984, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1137/070711098
26. Koc, S., J. M. Song, and W. C. Chew, "Error analysis for the numerical evaluation of the diagonal forms of the scalar spherical addition theorem," SIAM J. Numer. Anal., Vol. 36, No. 3, 906-921, 1999. doi:10.1137/S0036142997328111
27. Wu, B.-I., W.Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04070701
28. Wongkasem, N., A. Akyurtlu, J. Li, A. Tibolt, Z. Kang, and W. D. Goodhue, "Novel broadband terahertz negative refractive index metamaterials: Analysis and experiment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 205-218, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06071104
29. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322620
30. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07082902
31. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meander-loop resonator and csrr dgs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07090301
32. Alici, K. B., A. E. Serebrayannikov, and E. Ozbay, "Radiation properties and coupling analysis of a metamaterial based, dual polarization, dual band, multiple split ring resonator antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1183-1193, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791586188