We present here the solution of the eigenvalue problems for the open metamaterial square and circular rod waveguides. The Maxwell's equations for the electrodynamical analsis of the open waveguides were solved by the Singular Integral Equations' (SIE) method and partial area method. Our SIE method is pretty universal and let us rigorously analyze open waveguides electrodynamically with any arbitrary cross-sections taking into account of the edge condition. The false roots did not occur applying the SIE method. The waveguide media can be of strongly lossy materials. The signs of the complex permittivity and permeability can be positive or negative in different combinations. We used our computer algorithms based on the two mentioned methods with 3D graphical visualization in the MATLAB language. We present here our numerical calculations of the metamaterial square waveguide with sides equal to 5×10-3m and the metamaterial circular waveguide with the diameter equal to 5×10-3m. We present dependences of phase constant and attenuation constant of metamaterial waveguides at the frequency range from 75 GHz till 115 GHz. We have compared the three dimension (3D) electric field distributions of the main mode and the first higher mode propagating in the square and circular metamaterial waveguides. The calculations of the electric fields were fulfilled at approximately 10000 points in every cross-section. We discovered that the electric field is concentrated at the waveguide boundary. The distribution of the electric field along the perimeter of the waveguide is not uniform. There are two areas on the perimeter of the square and circular waveguides where the electric field has maximum values. These areas are shifted relative to each other on π radians.
"Electrodynamical Characteristic Particularity of Open Metamaterial Square and Circular Waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 109, 361-379, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10082505
1. Mirza, I. O., J. N. Sabas, S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Experimental demonstration of metamaterial based phase modulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 1-12, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09050412
2. Alu, A., N. Enghetal, A. Erentok, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single-negative, double-negative, and low-index metamaterials and their electromagnetic applications," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 1, 23-36, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.370979
3. Lagarkov, A. N., V. N. Semenenko, A. A. Basharin, and N. P. Balabukha, "Abnormal radiation pattern of metamaterial waveguide," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 6, 641-644, 2008. doi:10.2529/PIERS071220103345
4. Xu, Z. X. and W. G Lin, "Controllable absorbing structure of metamaterial at microwave," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 117-125, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06120801
5. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322585
6. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Guided modes in a waveguide filled with a pair of single-negative (SNG), double-negative (DNG), and/or double-positive (DPS) layers," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 52, No. 1, 199-210, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.821274
7. Kim, K. Y., "Comparative analysis of guided modal properties of double-positive and double-negative metamaterial slab waveguides," Radioengineering, Vol. 18, No. 2, 117-123, 2009.
8. Wang, Z. J. and J. F. Dong, "Analysis of guided modes in asym-metric left-handed slab waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 203-215, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06021802
9. Li, C., Q. Sui, and F. Li, "Complex guided wave solutions of grounded dielectric slab made of metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 187-195, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04011203
10. Mahmoud, S. F. and A. J. Viitanen, "Surface wave character on a slab of metamaterial with negative permittivity and permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 127-137, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER03102102
11. Lu, W. T., S. Savo, B. D. F. Casse, and S. Sridhar, "Slow microwave waveguide made of negative permeability metamaterials," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2705-2709, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24727
12. Liu, S.-H., C.-H. Liang, W. Ding, L. Chen, and W.-T. Pan, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through a slab waveguide of uniaxially anisotropic dispersive metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 467-475, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07071905
13. Zhou, H., Z. Pei, S. Qu, S. Zhang, J. Wang, Q. Li, and Z. Xu, "A planar zero-index metamaterial for directive emission," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 953-962, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788355289
14. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Multilayer system of Lorentz/Drude type metamaterials with dielectric slabs and its application to electromagnetic filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 91, 349-364, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09031306
15. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "Multi-band functional tunable LH impedance transformer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, 39-47, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604652
16. Vafi, K., A. R. Maleki Javan, M. S. Abrishamian, and N. Granpayeh, "Dispersive behavior of plasmonic and metamaterial coating on achieving transparency," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 941-952, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784150137
17. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-FED multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08050404
18. Xi, S. and H. Chen, "Experimental confirmation of guidance properties using planar anisotropic left-handed metamaterial slabs based on s-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 279-287, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08062105
19. Nickelson, L., T. Gric, S. Asmontas, and R. Martavicius, "Electrodynamical analyses of dielectric and metamaterial hollow-core cylindrical waveguides," Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Vol. 82, No. 2, 3-8, 2008.
20. Penciu, R. S., M. Kafesaki, T. F. Gundogdu, E. N. Economou, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Theoretical study of left-handed behavior of composite metamaterials," Photonics and Nanostructures --- Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 4, 12-16, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.photonics.2005.11.001
21. Nickelson, L. and V. Shugurov, Singular Integral Equations' Method for the Analysis of Microwave Structures, 348, VSP Brill Academic Publishers, Leiden, Boston, 2005.
22. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, 1016, EMW Publishing Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 2008.