An accurate and flexible three-dimensional Volterra Time Domain Integral Equation (TDIE) algorithm is presented and implemented here to model the time-dependent electromagnetic field of arbitrarily shaped dielectric bodies. This development is motivated by the need for a modern high-resolution numerical tool that is capable of providing a full and comprehensive investigation of devices containing a diverse range of feature sizes or boundaries, in all three space dimensions plus time. Stability, accuracy and convergence of the algorithm are discussed and verified by means of canonical working examples.
1. Jeong, Y. C. and B. G. Lee, "Characteristics of second-harmonic generation including third-order nonlinear interactions," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 37, 1292-1300, Oct. 2001. doi:10.1109/3.952541
2. Chi, J. W. D., L. Chao, and M. K. Rao, "Time-domain large-signal investigation on nonlinear interactions between an optical pulse and semiconductor waveguides," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 37, 1329-1336, Oct. 2001. doi:10.1109/3.952545
3. Moten, K., C. H. Durney, and T. G. Stockham, "Electromagnetic pulsed-wave radiation in spherical-models of dispersive biological substances," Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 12, 319-333, Apr. 1991. doi:10.1002/bem.2250120602
4. Dorn, O., H. Bertete-Aguirre, J. G. Berryman, and G. C. Papanicolaou, "A nonlinear inversion method for 3d electromagnetic imaging using adjoint fields," Inverse Problems, Vol. 15, 1523-1558, Dec. 1999. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/15/6/309
5. Yee, K. S., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving maxwells equations in isotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 14, 302-307, May 1966. doi:10.1109/TAP.1966.1138693
7. Holland, R., V. P. Cable, and L. C. Wilson, "Finite-volume time-domain (FVTD) techniques for EM scattering," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 33, 281-294, Nov. 1991. doi:10.1109/15.99109
8. Bennett, C. L. and H. Mieras, "Time domain scattering from open thin conducting surfaces," Radio Science, Vol. 16, 1231-1239, 1981. doi:10.1029/RS016i006p01231
9. Mieras, H. and C. L. Bennett, "Space-time integral-equation approach to dielectric targets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, 2-9, Jan. 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142753
10. Rao, S. M. and D. R. Wilton, "Transient scattering by conducting surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, 56-61, Jan. 1991. doi:10.1109/8.64435
11. Ergin, A. A., B. Shanker, and E. Michielssen, "Fast transient analysis of acoustic wave scattering from rigid bodies using a two-level plane wave time domain algorithm," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 106, 2405-2416, Nov. 1999. doi:10.1121/1.428077
12. Yilmaz, A. E., J. M. Jin, and D. S.Weile, "A fast fourier transform accelerated marching-on-in-time algorithm for electromagnetic analysis," Electromagnetics, Vol. 21, 181-197, Apr. 2001. doi:10.1080/02726340151105166
13. Rynne, B. P. and P. D. Smith, "Stability of time marching algorithms for the electric-field integral-equation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 4, No. 12, 1181-1205, 1990. doi:10.1163/156939390X00762
14. Vechinski, D. A. and S. M. Rao, "A stable procedure to calculate the transient scattering by conducting surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, 661-665, Jun. 1992. doi:10.1109/8.144600
15. Sadigh, A. and E. Arvas, "Treating the instabilities in marching-on-in-time method from a different perspective," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, 1695-1702, Dec. 1993. doi:10.1109/8.273314
16. Davies, P. J., "A stability analysis of a time marching scheme for the general surface electric field integral equation," Applied Numerical Mathematics, Vol. 27, 33-57, May 1998. doi:10.1016/S0168-9274(97)00107-4
17. Manara, G., A. Monorchio, and R. Reggiannini, "A space-time discretization criterion for a stable time-marching solution of the electric field integral equation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation , Vol. 45, 527-532, May 1997. doi:10.1109/8.558668
18. Bluck, M. J. and S. P. Walker, "Time-domain BIE analysis of large three-dimensional electromagnetic scattering problems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, 894-901, May 1997. doi:10.1109/8.575643
19. Pinello, W., A. Ruehli, and A. Cangellaris, "Stabilization of time domain solutions of EFIE based on partial element equivalent circuit models," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 1997, Vol. 1-4, 966-969, Jul. 1997.
20. Dodson, S., S. P. Walker, and M. J. Bluck, "Implicitness and stability of time domain integral equation scattering analysis," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 13, 291-301, 1998.
22. Sarkar, T. K., W. Lee, and S. M. Rao, "Analysis of transient scattering from composite arbitrarily shaped complex structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, 1625-1634, Oct. 2000.
23. Vechinski, D. A., S. M. Rao, and T. K. Sarkar, "Transient scattering from 3-Dimensional arbitrarily-shaped dielectric bodies," Journal of the Optical Society of America, Vol. 11, 1458-1470, Apr. 1994.
24. Pocock, M. D., M. J. Bluck, and S. P. Walker, "Electromagnetic scattering from 3-D curved dielectric bodies using time-domain integral equations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, 1212-1219, Aug. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.718577
25. Yilmaz, A. E., J. M. Jin, and E. Michielssen, "Time domain adaptive integral method for surface integral equations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 2692-2708, Oct. 2004.
26. Gres, N. T., A. A. Ergin, E. Michielssen, and B. Shanker, "Volume-integral-equation-based analysis of transient electromagnetic scattering from three-dimensional inhomogeneous dielectric objects," Radio Science, Vol. 36, 379-386, May-Jun. 2001.
27. Schaubert, D. H., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "A tetrahedral modeling method for electromagnetic scattering by arbitrarily shaped inhomogeneous dielectric bodies," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, 77-85, Jan. 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143193
28. Silvester, P. P. and R. L. Ferrari, Finite Elements for Electrical Engineers, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1990.
29. Peterson, A. F., "Analysis of heterogeneous electromagnetic scatterers --- Research progress of the past decade," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 79, 1431-1441, Oct. 1991.
30. Wilton, D. R., "Review of current status and trends in the use of integral-equations in computational electromagnetics," Electromagnetics, Vol. 12, 287-341, Jul.-Dec. 1992.
31. Volakis, J. L., A. Chatterjee, and L. C. Kempel, "Review of the finite-element method for 3-dimensional electromagnetic scattering," Journal of the Optical Society of America A --- Optics Image Science and Vision, Vol. 11, 1422-1433, Apr. 1994. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.11.001422
32. Kottmann, J. P. and O. J. F. Martin, "Accurate solution of the volume integral equation for high-permittivity scatterers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, 1719-1726, Nov. 2000.
33. Yilmaz, A. E., B. Shanker, J. M. Jin, and E. Michielssen, "Efficient solution of time domain volume integral equations using the adaptive integral method," Proceedings of the USNC/CNC/URSI Meeting, 711, Jun. 2003.
34. Harrington, R. F., Field Computations by Moment Methods, Macmillan, New York, 1968.
35. Volakis, J. L. and K. Barkeshli, "Applications of the conjugate radient FFT method to radiation and scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 05, 159-239, 1991.
36. Nerukh, A. G., "Evolutionary approach in transient electro-dynamics problems," Radio Science, Vol. 30, 481-491, May-Jun. 1995.
37. Nerukh, A. G., I. V. Scherbatko, and O. N. Rybin, "The direct numerical calculation of an integral volterra equation for an electromagnetic signal in a time-varying dissipative medium," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 12, 163-176, 1998. doi:10.1163/156939398X00755
38. Nerukh, A. G., I. V. Scherbatko, and M. Marciniak, Electromagnetics of Modulated Media with Applications to Photonics, Nat. Inst. Telecommun., Warsaw, Poland, 2001.
39. Fedotov, F. V., A. G. Nerukh, T. A. Benson, and P. Sewell, "Investigation of electromagnetic field in a layer with time-varying medium by volterra intergral equation method," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 21, 305-314, Jan. 2003. doi:10.1109/JLT.2003.808652
40. Al-Jarro, A., P. Sewell, T. M. Benson, and A. Nerukh, "Effective and flexible analysis for propagation in time varying waveguides," Optical and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 36, 133-144, Jan.-Feb. 2004.
41. Benson, T. M., A. Al-Jarro, P. Sewell, V. Janyani, J. D. Paul, and A. Vukovic, "Simulation of nonlinear integrated photonics devices: A comparison of tlm and numerical time domain integral equation approaches," Ultra-wideband, Short-pulse Electromagnetics, Vol. 7, 80-88, 2007.
42. Al-Jarro, A., P. Sewell, T. M. Benson, and A. Vukovic, "A volterra integral equation algorithm on triangulated space time meshes," Proceedings of the 2007 Workshop on Computational Electromagnetics in Time-domain, 1-4, Perugia, 2007. doi:10.1109/CEMTD.2007.4373541
43. Al-Jarro, A., P. Sewell, T. M. Benson, and A. Vukovic, "A volterra time-domain integral equation algorithm on unstructured meshes: 3D model," Proceedings of the 25th International Review of Progress in Applied Computational, 792-796, Monterey, Mar. 2009.
44. Al-Jarro, A., P. Sewell, T. M. Benson, and A. Vukovic, "Stabilizing 3D volterra time domain integral equation algorithms," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Bangkok, Oct. 2009.
45. Sarto, M. S. and A. Scarlatti, "Suppression of late-time instabilities in 3D-FDTD analyses by combining digital filtering techniques and efficient boundary conditions," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 37, 3273-3276, Sep. 2001. doi:10.1109/20.952593
46. Waldvogel, J., "Newtonian potential of homogeneous polyhedra," Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, Vol. 30, 388-398, Mar. 1979. doi:10.1007/BF01601950
47. Waldvogel, J., "Newtonian potential of homogeneous cube," Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, Vol. 27, 867-871, Nov. 1976.
48. Paul, J., C. Christopoulos, and D. W. P. Thomas, "Generalized material models in TLM --- Part I: Materials with frequency-dependent properties," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 1528-1534, Oct. 1999.
49. Mie, G., "A contribution to the optics of turbid media: Especially colloidal metal solutions," Annals of Physics, Vol. 25, 377-445, 1908.
50. Oppenheim, A. V. and R. W. Schafer, Discrete-time Signal Processing, Englewood Cliffs, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1989.