An efficient double superimposition model (DSM) is proposed to generate two-dimensional (2-D) ocean surface waves. On the basis of this efficient model, a modulated slope-deterministic facet model (MSDFM) is developed to compute the radar cross section (RCS) of synthetic aperture radar (SAR) for the generated ocean surface. Then, the properties of the SAR imaging mechanism for wind seas are discussed from a combination of SAR and ocean wave parameters. Furthermore, a hybrid facet scheme, which is the combination of physical theory of diffraction equivalent edge currents (PTDEEC) and physical optics (PO) method, is introduced to analyze the high frequency scattering characteristics of large ship target. Finally, this hybrid facet scheme combines with the four-path model and MSDFM to investigate SAR imaging for the composite model of ship on dynamic ocean scene. The resolution degradation of ship-ocean model arising from different facet velocities within a SAR resolution cell and the range migration caused by coupling scattering are investigated in this paper. SAR imagery simulations of marine scene are illustrated, proving the validity and practicability of the presented algorithms.
Yan Wei Zhao,
"SAR Imaging Simulation for Composite Model of Ship on Dynamic Ocean Scene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 113, 395-412, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10121102
1. Jin, Y.-Q., "Polarimetric scattering modeling and information retrieval of SAR remote sensing --- A review of FDU work," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 333-384, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10020101
2. Teng, H. T., H.-T. Ewe, and S. L. Tan, "Multifractal dimension and its geometrical terrain properties for classification of multi-band multi-polarized SAR image," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 221-237, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10022001
3. Park, J.-I. and K.-T. Kim, "A comparative study on isar imaging algorithms for radar target identification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 155-175, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071901
4. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07110101
5. Mao, X., D.-Y. Zhu, and Z.-D. Zhu, "Signatures of moving target in polar format spotlight SAR image," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 47-64, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09030908
6. Li, X. M., S. Lehner, and M. X. He, "Ocean wave measurements based on satellite synthetic aperture radar (SAR) and numerical wave model (WAM) data-extreme sea state and cross sea analysis," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 29, 6403-6416, 2008. doi:10.1080/01431160802175546
7. Margetis, D., "Pulse propagation in sea water: The modulated pulse," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 26, 89-110, 2000. doi:10.2528/PIER99062802
8. Zecchetto, S., F. de Biasio, and P. Trivero, "A wavelet technique to extract the backscatter signatures from SAR images of the sea," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 7, 696-700, 2009. doi:10.2529/PIERS090218071008
9. Luo, W., M. Zhang, Y. W. Zhao, and H. Chen, "An efficient hybrid high-frequency solution for the composite scattering of the ship on very large two-dimensional sea surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 79-89, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09050103
10. Valenzuela, G. R., "An asymptotic formulation for SAR images of the dynamical ocean surface," Radio Science, Vol. 15, 104-114, 1980.
11. Raney, R. K., "Wave orbital velocity, fade and SAR response to azimuth waves," Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 6, 140-146, 1981. doi:10.1109/JOE.1981.1145495
12. Plant, W. J. and W. C. Keller, "The two-scale radar wave probe and SAR imagery of the ocean," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 88, 9776-9784, 1983. doi:10.1029/JC088iC14p09776
13. Zhao, Y. W., M. Zhang, and H. Chen, "An efficient ocean SAR raw signal simulation by employing fast fourier transform," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2273-2284, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793699064
14. Hasselmann, K., R. K. Raney, W. J. Plant, W. Alpers, R. A. Shuchnan, D. R. Lyzenga., C. L. Rufenach, and M. J. Tucker, "Theory of synthetic aperture radar ocean imaging: A marsen view," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 90, 4659-4685, 1985. doi:10.1029/JC090iC03p04659
15. Lim, S.-H., J.-H. Han, S.-Y. Kim, and N.-H. Myung, "Azimuth beam pattern synthesis for airborne SAR system optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 295-309, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061901
16. Alers, W., "Monte Carlo simulations for studying thc relationship between ocean wave and synthetic aperture radar image spectra," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 88, 1745-1759, 1983. doi:10.1029/JC088iC03p01745
17. Alpers, W., C. Bruning, and K. Richter, "Comparison of simulated and measured synthetic aperture radar image spectra with buoy-derived ocean wave spectra during the shuttle imaging radar-B mission," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 24, 559-566, 1986. doi:10.1109/TGRS.1986.289671
18. Bruning, C., W. Alpers, and K. Hasselmann, "Monte-Carlo simulation studies of the nonlinear imaging of a two dimensional surface wave field by a synthetic aperture radar," Internationa Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 11, 1695-1727, 1990. doi:10.1080/01431169008955125
19. Gorden, W. B., "Far-field a pproximations to the Kirchoff-Helmholtz representations of scattered fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 23, No. 4, 590-592, 1975. doi:10.1109/TAP.1975.1141105
20. Yu, C. L., "Radar cross section computation and visualization by shooting and bounching ray (SBR) technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 3, 1323-1326, 1992.
21. Kim, B. C., K. K. Park, and H. T. Kim, "Efficient RCS prediction method using angular division algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 65-74, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604625
22. Michaeli, A., "Equivalent edge currents for arbitrary aspects of observation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, 252-258, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143303
23. Baussard, A., M. Rochdi, and A. Khenchaf, "PO/mec-based scattering model for complex objects on a sea surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 229-251, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10083005
24. Corona, P. and G. Ferrara, "An improved physical optics model for the evaluation of the field backscattering by triangular trihedral corner reflectors," Electrotechnical Conference, Vol. 1, 534-537, May 1996.
25. Zhang, P. F. and S. X. Gong, "Improvement on the forwardback-ward iterative physical optics algorithm applied to computing the RCS of large open-ended cavities," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 457-469, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367297
26. Chen, H., M. Zhang, and D. Nie, "Robust semi-deterministic facet model for fast estimation on EM scattering from ocean-like surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 347-363, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09100508
27. Wu, Z. S. and M. Zhang, "Improved equivalent edge currents by modified edge representation and their application in EM scattering," Acta Electronica Sinica, Vol. 26, No. 9, Sep. 1998.
28. Johnson, J. T., "A study of the four-path model for scattering from an object above a half space," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 6, 130-134, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1242
29. Dong, C. Z., C. Wang, X. Wei, and H.-C. Yin, "EM scattering from complex targets above a slightly rough surface," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 5, 685-688, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061212012947
30. Mitsuyasu, H., F. Tasai, T. Suhara, S. Mizuno, M. Ohkusu, T. Honda, and K. Rikiischi, "Observations of the directional spectrum of ocean wave using a clover leaf buoy," Journal of Physical Oceanography, Vol. 5, 750-760, 1975. doi:10.1175/1520-0485(1975)005<0750:OOTDSO>2.0.CO;2
31. Lyzenga, D. R., "Numerical simulation of synthetic aperture radar image spectra for ocean waves," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens, Vol. 24, 1986.
32. Zhang, Y., Y. E. Yang, H. Braunisch, and J. A. Kong, "Electromagnetic wave interaction of conducting object with rough surface by hubrid SPM/MOM technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 22, 315-335, 1999. doi:10.2528/PIER98112506
33. Shtager, E. A., "An estimation of sea surface influence on radar reflectivity of ships," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 10, 1623-1627, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.805908
34. Bourlier, C., G. Berginc, and J. Saillard, "One and two-dimensional stationary shadowing functions for any height and slope stationary uncorrelated surface in the monostatic and bistatic configureations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 3, 312-324, 2002. doi:10.1109/8.999622
35. Fabbro, V., C. Bourlier, and P. F. Combes, "Forward propagation modeling above gaussian rough surfaces by the parabolic shadowing effect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 243-269, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05090101
36. Fung, A. K. and K. Lee, "A semi-empirical sea-spectrum model for scattering coefficient estimation," IEEE J. Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 4, 166-176, 1982. doi:10.1109/JOE.1982.1145535
37. Andreas, A. B., A. Khenchaf, and A. Martin, "Bistatic radar imaging of the marine environment. Part I: Theoretical background," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 45, No. 11, 3372-3383, 2007. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.897436
38. Cox, C. and W. H. Munk, "Statistics of the sea surface derived from sun glitter," J. Marine Res., Vol. 13, 198-227, 1954.
39. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Canada, 1982.
40. Voronovich, A. G. and V. U. Zavorotni, "Theoretical model for scattering of radar signals in Ku- and C-bands from a rough sea surface with breaking waves," Wave in Random Media, Vol. 11, No. 3, 247-269, 2001.