It is known that electromagnetic resonant tunneling phenomenon can be found in the single-negative (SNG) bilayer, a two-layer coating made of the epsilon-negative (ENG) and the mu-negative (MNG) media. In this work, we report that this resonant tunneling is strongly dependent on the static positive parameters in SNG materials. The values of the static permeability in ENG layer and the static permittivity in MNG layer for obtaining the resonant tunneling are theoretically analyzed and discussed for two possible cases of equal- and unequal-thicknesses. Useful design guidelines in selecting positive parameters for the resonant tunneling are obtained. We also investigate the possible influence in the resonant tunneling due to the losses from the ENG and MNG materials. Additionally, we examine the polarization-dependent resonant tunneling, that is, the dependence of angle of incidence is examined.
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
3. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-97, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
4. Liu, Y., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "A novel planar printed array antenna with SRR slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2155-2164, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793699127
5. Hsu, H. T., T. W. Chang, T.-J. Yang, B.-H. Chu, and C.-J. Wu, "Analysis of wave properties in photonic crystal narrowband filters with left-handed defect," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2285-2298, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793699073
6. Wu, Z., B. Q. Zeng, and S. Zhong, "A double-layer chiral metamaterial with negative index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 983-992, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285173
7. Sabah, C., "Novel, dual band, single and double negative metamaterials: nonconcentric delta loop resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 225-239, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10080302
8. Sabah, C., "Tunable metamaterial design composed of triangular split ring resonator and wire strip for s- and c-microwave bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 341-357, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10051705
9. Essadqui, A., J. Ben-Ali, D. Bria, B. Djafari-Rouhani, and A. Nougaoui, "Photonic band structure of 1D periodic composite system with left handed and right handed materials by green function approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 229-249, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10032404
10. Al-Naib, I. A. I., C. Jansen, and M. Koch, "Single metal layer CPW metamaterial bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 153-161, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10081103
11. Gu, C., S. Qu, Z. Pei, H. Zhou, J. Wang, B.-Q. Lin, Z. Xu, P. Bai, and W.-D. Peng, "A wide-band, polarization-insensitive and wide-angle terahertz metamaterial absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 171-179, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10070105
12. Rahimi, H., "Backward tamm states in 1D single-negative metamaterial photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 149-159, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL09121305
13. Gennarelli, G. and G. Riccio, "Diffraction by a lossy double-negative metamaterial layer: A uniform asymptotic solution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 173-180, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10030906
14. Fredkin, D. R. and A. Ron, "Effective left-handed (negative index) composite material," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 81, 1753-1755, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1505119
15. Wang, L. G., H. Chen, and S. Y. Zhou, "Omnidirectional gap and defect mode of one-dimensional photonic crystals with single-negative materials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 70, 245102, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.70.245102
16. Yeh, D.-W. and C.-J. Wu, "Analysis of photonic band structure in a one-dimensional photonic crystal containing single-negative material," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 16666-16680, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.016666
17. Yeh, D.-W. and C.-J. Wu, "Thickness-dependent photonic bandgap in a one-dimensional single-negative photonic crystal," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 26, 1506-1510, 2009. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.26.001506
18. Luo, Z., Z. Tang, H. Luo, and S. Wen, "Polarization-independent low-pass spatial filters based on one-dimensional photonic crystals containing negative-index materials," App. Phys. B, Vol. 94, 641-646, 2009. doi:10.1007/s00340-009-3376-4
19. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a mu-negative slab: Resonance, tunneling and transparency," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagation, Vol. 51, 2558-2571, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817553
20. Ding, Y., Y. Li, H. Jiang, and H. Chen, "Electromagnetic tunneling in nonconjugated epsilon-negative and mu-negative metamaterial pair," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 2, 109-112, 2010. doi:10.2529/PIERS091004104845
21. Feng, T., Y. Li, H. Jiang, Y. Sun, L. He, H. Li, Y. Zhang, Y. Shi, and H. Chen, "Electromagnetic tunneling in a sandwich structure containing single negative media," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 79, 026601, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.79.026601
22. Castaldi, G., I. Gallina, V. Galdi, A. Alu, and N. Engheta, "Electromagnetic tunneling through a single-negative slab paired with a double-positive bilayer," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 83, 081105(R), 2011.
23. Cojocaru, E., "Electromagnetic tunneling in lossless trilayer stacks containing single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 227-249, 2011.
24. Dong, L., G. Du, H. Jiang, H. Chen, and Y. Shi, "Transmission properties of lossy single-negative materials," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 26, 1091-1096, 2009. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.26.001091
25. Lin, W.-H., C.-J. Wu, and S.-J. Chang, "Analysis of angle-dependent unusual transmission in lossy single-negative (SNG) materials ," Solid State Comm., Vol. 150, 1729-1732, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.ssc.2010.07.035
26. Lin, W.-H., C.-J. Wu, and S.-J. Chang, "Angular dependence of wave reflection in a lossy single-negative bilayer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 253-267, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061606
27. Smolyakov, A. I., E. A. Fourkal, S. I. Krasheninnikov, and N. Sternberg, "Resonant modes and resonant transmission in multi-layer structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 293-314, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10032706
28. Bucinskas, J., L. Nickelson, and V. Shugurovas, "Microwave scattering and absorption by a multilayered lossy metamaterial glass cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 103-118, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10041711
29. Rahimi, H., A. Namdar, S. Roshan Entezar, and H. Tajalli, "Photonic transmission spectra in one-dimensional flbonacci multilayer structures containing single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 15-30, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122303
30. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Multilayer system of lorentz/drude type metamaterials with dielectric slabs and its application to electromagnetic filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 349-364, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09031306
31. Li, Y., Q. Zhu, Y. Yan, S.-J. Xu, and B. Zhou, "Design of a 1 * 20 series feed network with composite right/left-handed transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 311-324. doi:10.2528/PIER08123104
32. Canto, J. R., S. A. Matos, C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Effects of losses in a layered structure containing DPS and DNG media," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 5, 546-550, 2008. doi:10.2529/PIERS071220142320
33. Orfanidis, S. J., Electromagnetic Waves and Antennas, Chapter 7, Rutger University, 2008, www.ece.rutgers.edu/»orfanidi/ewa.
34. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, Singapore, 1991.
35. Jung, K.-Y. and F. L. Teixeira, "Photonic crystals with a degenerate band edge: Field enhancement effects and sensitivity analysis," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 77, 125108, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.77.125108
36. Wang, L., Z. Shen, B. Fan, and Z. Wang, "High transmittance of connected resonant modes," Optics Comm., Vol. 283, 2155-2159, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2010.01.015
37. Qiao, F., C. Zhang, J. Wan, and J. Zi, "Photonic quantum-well structures: multiple channeled filtering phenomena," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 77, No. 23, 3698-3701, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.1330570