In this paper, synthesis of unequally spaced linear antenna arrays based on an inheritance learning particle swarm optimization (ILPSO) is presented. In order to improve the optimization efficiency of the PSO algorithm, we propose an inheritance learning strategy that can be applied to different topology of different PSO algorithms. In ILPSO algorithm, each cycle contains several PSO optimization processes, and uniform initial particle positions, part of which inherited from the good results in pre-cycles, are adopted in post-cycles. ILPSO enhances the exploration ability of PSO algorithm significantly, and can escape from the trap of local optimum areas with greater probability. The results demonstrate good performance of the ILPSO in solving a set of eight 30-D benchmark functions when compared to nine other variants of the PSO. The novel proposed algorithm has been applied in 32-element position-only array synthesis with three different constraints, simulation results show that ILPSO obtains better synthesis results reliably and efficiently.
1. Wang, W.-B., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Application of chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm to pattern synthesis of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 173-189, 2011.
2. Qu, Y., G. Liao, S.-Q. Zhu, and X.-Y. Liu, "Pattern synthesis of planar antenna array via convex optimization for airborne forward looking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 1-10, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08060301
3. Dib, N. I., S. K. Goudos, and H. Muhsen, "Application of Taguchi's optimization method and self-adaptive differential evolution to the synthesis of linear antenna arrays ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122306
4. Lin, C., A.-Y. Qing, and Q.-Y. Feng, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using differential evolution," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 2553-2561, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048864
5. Kurup, D. G., M. Himdi, and A. Rydberg, "Synthesis of uniform amplitude unequally spaced antenna arrays using the differential evolution algorithm ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2210-2217, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816361
6. Vaitheeswaran, S. M., "Dual beam synthesis using element position perturbations and the G3-GA algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 43-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08091601
7. Zhang, S., S.-X. Gong, Y. Guan, P.-F. Zhang, and Q. Gong, "A novel IGA-EDSPSO hybrid algorithm for the synthesis of sparse arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 121-134, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08120806
8. Chen, K., Z. He, and C. Han, "A modified real GA for the sparse linear array synthesis with multiple constraints," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 7, 2169-2173, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.877211
9. Rocca, P., et al., "Ant colony optimisation for tree-searchingbased synthesis of monopulse array antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 783-785, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20081045
10. Perez Lopez, J. R. and J. Basterrechea, "Hybrid particle swarm-based algorithms and their application to linear array synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 63-74, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08122212
11. Lanza Diego, M., J. R. Perez Lopez, and J. Basterrechea, "Synthesis of planar arrays using a modified particle swarm optimization algorithm by introducing a selection operator and elitism," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 145-160, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09041303
12. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H.Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 771-779, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825102
13. Goudos, S. K., et al., "Application of a comprehensive learning particle swarm optimizer to unequally spaced linear array synthesis with sidelobe level suppression and null control," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 125-129, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044552
14. Selleri, S., et al., "Differentiated meta-PSO methods for array optimization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 67-75, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.912942
15. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H. Werner, "Efficiency-constrained particle swarm optimization of a modified Bernstein polynomial or conformal array excitation amplitude synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2662-2673, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851783
16. Kumar, B. P. and G. R. Branner, "Generalized analytical technique for the synthesis of unequally spaced arrays with linear, planar, cylindrical or spherical geometry ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 2, 621-634, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.841324
17. Kazemi, S., H. R. Hassani, G. R. Dadashzadeh, and F. G. Gharakhili, "Performance improvement in amplitude synthesis of unequally spaced array using least mean square method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 135-145, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07103002
18. Kennedy, J. and R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," IEEE Int. Conf. Neural Netw., Piscataway, NJ, 1995.
19. Valle, Y., et al., "Particle swarm optimization: Basic concepts,variants and applications in power systems," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 12, 171-195, 2008. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2007.896686
20. Clerc, M. and J. Kennedy, "The particle swarm-explosion, stability, and convergence in a multidimensional complex space," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 6, 58-73, 2002. doi:10.1109/4235.985692
21. Bergh, F. and A. Engelbrecht, "A cooperative approach to particle swarm optimization," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 8, 225-239, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2004.826069
22. Shi, Y. and R. C. Eberhart, "A modified particle swarm optimizer," Proc. IEEE Congress Evol. Comput., 69-73, 1998.
24. Eberhart, R. and Y. Shi, "Comparing inertia weights and constriction factors in particle swarm optimization," Proc. IEEE Congress Evol. Comput., Vol. 1, 84-88, Jul. 2000.
25. Esmin, A., G. Torres, and A. Zambroni, "A hybrid particle swarm optimizationapplied to loss power minimization," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 20, 859-866, 2005. doi:10.1109/TPWRS.2005.846049
26. Poli, R., "Mean and variance of the sampling distribution of particle swarm optimizers during stagnation," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 13, 712-721, 2009. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2008.2011744
27. Liang, J. J., P. N. Suganthan, and K. Deb, Novel composition test functions for numerical global optimization, Proc. Swarm Intell. Symp., Jun. 2005. [Online]. Available: http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/EPNSugan.
28. Liang, J. J., et al., "Comprehensive learning particle swarm optimizer for global optimization of multimodal functions," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 10, 281-295, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2005.857610