ℜOptical filtering properties in a multichanneled transmission filter based on one-dimensional photonic crystal containing the coupled defects are theoretically investigated. The resonant transmission peaks are designed to be located within the photonic band gap of a defect-free photonic crystal. The number of peaks is directly equal to the number of the coupled defects. The positions of resonant peaks can be tuned by varying the refractive index of the defect layer. In addition, extremely resonant peaks can be produced by adding the Bragg mirrors at the front and rear sides of the structure.
3. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ,1995.
4. Guida, G., A. de Lustrac, and A. Priou, "An introduction to photonic band gap (PBG) materials," Progress In Electromanetics Research, Vol. 41, 1-20, 2003. doi:10.2528/PIER02010801
5. Lin, W.-H., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Terahertz multichanneled filter in a superconducting photonic crystal," Optics Express, Vol. 18, 27155-27166, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.027155
6. Shen, W., X. Sun, Y. Zhang, Z. Luo, X. Liu, and P. Gu, "Narrow band filter in both transmission and refleection with metal/dielectric thin films," Optics Communication, Vol. 282, 242-246, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2008.09.080
7. Sun, X. Z., P. F. Gu, W. D. Shen, X. Liu, Y. Wang, and Y. G. Zhang, "Design and fabrication of a novel reflection filter," Applied Optics, Vol. 46, 2899-2902, 2007. doi:10.1364/AO.46.002899
8. Ye, Y.-H., J. Ding, D.-Y. Jeong, I. C. Khoo, and Q. M. Zhang, "Finite-size effect on one-dimensional coupled-resonator optical waveguides," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 69, 056604, 2004.
9. Nelson, R. L., and J. W. Haus, "One-dimensional photonic crystals in reflection geometry for optical applications ," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, 1089-1091, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1600841
10. Fink, Y., J. N. Winn, S. Fan, C. Chen, J. Michel, J. D. Joannopoulos , and L. E. Thomas, "A dielectric omnidirectional reflector," Science, Vol. 282, 1679-1682, 1998. doi:10.1126/science.282.5394.1679
11. Li, H. and X. Yang, "Larger absolute band gaps in two-dimensional photonic crystals fabricated by a three-order-effect method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 385-400, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10072505
12. Wu, C.-J., J.-J. Liao, and T. W. Chang, "Tunable multilayer Fabry-Perot resonator using electro-optical defect layer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 4, 531-542, 2010.
13. Rahimi, H, A. Namdar, S. Roshan Entezar, and H. Tajalli, "Photonic transmission spectra in one-dimensional fibonacci multilayer structures containing single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 15-30, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122303
14. Chen, D., M.-L. Vincent Tse, and H.-Y. Tam, "Optical properties of photonic crystal fibers with a fiber core of arrays of subwavelength circular air holes: Birefringence and dispersion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 193-212, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10042706
15. Nozhat, N., and N. Granpayeh, "Specialty fibers designed by photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 225-244, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092309
16. Shi, Y., "A compact polarization beam splitter based on a multimode photonic crystal waveguide with an internal photoniccrystal section ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 393-401, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10040402
17. Choudhury, P. K., and W. K. Soon, "TE mode propagation through tapered core liquid crystal optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 449-463, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10021104
18. Qi, L.-M. and Z. Yang, "Modified plane wave method analysis of dielectric plasma photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 319-332, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09022605
19. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Multilayer system of lorentz/drude type metamaterials with dielectric slabs and its application to electromagnetic filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 349-364, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09031306
20. Fu, X., C. Cui, and S. C. Chan, "Optically injected semiconductor laser for photonic microwave frequency mixing in radio-over-fiber," Journal Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 849-960, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285236
21. Orfanidis, S. J., Electromagnetic Waves and Antennas, No. 7, Rutger University, 2008, www.ece.rutgers.edu/»orfanidi/ewa.
22. Smith, D. R., R. Dalichaouch, N. Kroll, S. Schultz, S. L. McCall, and P. M. Platzman, "Photonic band structure without and with defect in one-dimensional photonic crystal," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B: Optical Physics, Vol. 10, 314-321, 1993. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.10.000314
23. Wu, C.-J. and Z.-H. Wang, "Properties of defect modes in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 169-184, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10031706
24. Hsu, H.-T. and C.-J. Wu, "Design rules for a Fabry-Perot narrow band transmission filter containing a metamaterial negative-index defect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 101-107, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09032803
25. Smolyakov, A. I., E. A. Fourkal, S. I. Krasheninnikov, and N. Sternberg, "Resonant modes and resonant transmission in multi-layer structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 293-314, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10032706
26. Hsu, H.-T., T.-W. Chang, T.-J. Yang, B.-H. Chu, and C.-J. Wu, "Analysis of wave properties in photonic crystal narrowband filters with left-handed defect," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2285-2298, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793699073
27. Wang, J., S. Qu, H. Ma, J. Hu, Y. Yang, X. Wu, Z. Xu, and M. Hao, "A dielectric resonator-based route to left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 133-150, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09011103
28. Qiao, F., C. Zhang, and J. Wan, "Photonic quantum-well structure: Multiple channeled filtering phenomena," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 77, 3698-3700, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.1330570
29. Liu, J., J. Sun, C. Huang, W. Hu, and D. Huang, "Optimizing the spectral effciency of photonic quantum well structures," Optik, Vol. 120, 35-39, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2007.06.011
30. Liu, J., J. Sun, C. Huang, W. Hu, and M. Chen, "Improvement of spectral efficiency based on spectral splitting in photonic quantum-well structures," IET Optoelectron., Vol. 2, 122-127, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-opt:20070056
31. Feng, C. S., L. M. Mei, L. Z. Cai, P. Li, and X. L. Yang, "Resonant modes in quantum well structure of photonic crystals with different lattice constants," Solid State Communications, Vol. 135, 330-334, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.ssc.2005.04.040
32. Haxha, S., W. Belhadj, F. Abdelmalek, and H. Bouchriha, "Analysis of wavelength demultiplexer based on photonic crystals," IEE Proc. Optoelectron., Vol. 152, 193-198, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-opt:20050003
33. Jiang, H. T., H. Chen, N.-H. Liu, and S.-Y. Zhu, "Engineering photonic crystal impurity bands for multiple channeled optical switches," Chin. Phys. Lett., Vol. 21, 101-103, 2004.
34. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, Singapore, 1998.
35. Markos, P. and C. M. Soukoulis, Wave Propagation: From Electrons to Photonic Crystals, Princeton University Press, New Jersey, 2008.