Fourier transform of discontinuous functions are often encountered in computational electromagnetics. A highly accurate, fast conformal Fourier transform (CFT) algorithm is proposed to evaluate the finite Fourier transform of 2D discontinuous functions. A curved triangular mesh combined with curvilinear coordinate transformation is adopted to flexibly model an arbitrary shape of the discontinuity boundary. This enables us to take full advantages of high order interpolation and Gaussian quadrature methods to achieve highly accurate Fourier integration results with a low sampling density and small computation time. The complexity of the proposed algorithm is similar to the traditional 2D fast Fourier transform algorithm, but with orders of magnitude higher accuracy. Numerical examples illustrate the excellent performance of the proposed CFT method.
Qing Huo Liu,
Li Jun Liu,
"An Accurate Conformal Fourier Transform Method for 2D Discontinuous Functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 120, 165-179, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11072306
1. Liu, Y. H., Z. P. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "DIFFT: a fast and accurate algorithm for Fourier transform integrals of discontinuous functions," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 2, 716-718, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2005162
2. Fan, Z., R. S. Chen, H. Chen, and D. Z. Ding, "Weak form nonuniform fast Fourier transform method for solving volume integral equations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 275-289, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08121308
3. Xiao, K., F. Zhao, S.-L. Chai, J.-J. Mao, and L.-W. Li, "Scattering analysis of periodic arrays using combined CBF/P-FFT method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 131-146, 2011.
4. Rui, X., J. Hu, and Q. H. Liu, "Fast inhomogeneous plane wave algorithm for homogeneous dielectric body of revolution," Commun. Comput. Phys., Vol. 8, No. 4, 917-932, 2010.
5. Yang, S., Y. Chen, and Z.-P. Nie, "Simulation of time modulated linear antenna arrays using the FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 175-190, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092507
6. Laviada-Martinez, J., Y. Alvarez Lopez, and F. Las-Heras Andrés, "Efficient determination of the near-field in the vicinity of an antenna for the estimation of its safety perimeter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 371-391, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10031807
7. Huang, Y., Y. Liu, Q. H. Liu, and J. Zhang, "Improved 3-D GPR detection by NUFFT combined with MPD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 185-199, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10021005
8. Najjar-Khatirkolaei, B. N. and A. R. Sebak, "Slot antenna on a conducting elliptic cylinder coated by nonconfocal chiral media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 125-143, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09033003
9. Liu, Y., Z. Liang, and Z. Yang, "Computation of electromagnetic dosimetry for human body using parallel FDTD algorithm combined with interpolation technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 95-107, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08021603
10. Swillam, M. A., M. H. Bakr, and X. Li, "Full wave sensitivity analysis of guided wave structures using FDTD," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 16, 2135-2145, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787522474
11. Fan, G.-X. and Q. H. Liu, "Fast Fourier transform for discontinuous functions," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 2, 461-465, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823965
12. Liu, Y. H., Q. H. Liu, Z. P. Nie, and Z. Q. Zhao, "Discontinuous fast Fourier transform with triangle mesh for two-dimensional discontinuous functions," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 7, 1045-1057, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795253975
13. Froeyen, M. and L. Hellemans, "Improved algorithm for the discrete Fourier transform," Review of ScientiFIc Instruments, Vol. 56, 2325, 1985. doi:10.1063/1.1138528
14. Sorets, E., "Fast Fourier transforms of piecewise constant functions," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 116, 369-379, 1995. doi:10.1006/jcph.1995.1035
15. Zeng, P., "High-accuracy formula for discrete calculation of Fourier transforms," Applied Mathematics and Computation, Vol. 106, No. 2--3, 117-140, 1999. doi:10.1016/S0096-3003(98)10080-2
16. Liu, Y. H., Q. H. Liu, and Z. P. Nie, "A new efficient FDTD time-to-frequency-domain conversion algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 33-46, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09030906
17. Zhu, C. H., Q. H. Liu, Y. Shen, and L. Liu, "A high accuracy conformal method for evaluating the discontinuous Fourier transform," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 425-440, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10082007
18. Liu, Q. H. and N. Nguyen, "An accurate algorithm for nonuniform fast Fourier transforms (NUFFT's)," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 18-20, 1998. doi:10.1109/75.650975
19. Nguyen, N. and Q. H. Liu, "The regular Fourier matrices and nonuniform fast Fourier transforms," SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, Vol. 21, 283, 1999. doi:10.1137/S1064827597325712
20. Song, J., Y. Liu, S. L. Gewalt, G. Cofer, G. A. Johnson, and Q. H. Liu, "Least-square NUFFT methods applied to 2-D and 3-D radially encoded MR image reconstruction," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1134-1142, 2009. doi:10.1109/TBME.2009.2012721
21. Ayari, M., T. Aguili, and H. Baudrand, "New version of TWA using two-dimensional non-uniform fast Fourier mode transform (2D-NUFFMT) for full-wave investigation of microwave integrated circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 375-400, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09052301
22. Silvester, P. P. and R. L. Ferrari, Finite Elements for Electrical Engineers, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1996.
23. Notaros, B. M., "Higher order frequency-domain computational electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2251-2276, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.926784
24. Cowper, G. R., "Gaussian quadrature formulas for triangles," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 3, 405-408, 1973. doi:10.1002/nme.1620070316