In this paper, we propose several array topologies to achieve good power-combining characteristics for the open slot antenna. By utilizing an appropriate feeding structure and injecting in-phase or out-of-phase signals, power-combining radiation patterns can be derived. Simulated surface current distributions of several antenna structures are presented to explain radiation mechanism. From the results of radiation performance, the advantages of gain enhancement and pattern reconfiguration are shown. By varying the phase difference of two injected signals of the open slot antenna array, two-dimensional beam-scanning radiation patterns are successfully demonstrated.
1. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Theiele, Antenna Theory and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley, 1998.
2. Humphrey, D. E. J. and V. F. Fusco, "Nonlinear two elements active antenna array stability analysis," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 9, 788-789, Apr. 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19960573
3. Pozar, D. M. and B. Kaufman, "Design considerations for low sidelobe microstrip arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1176-1185, Aug. 1990. doi:10.1109/8.56953
4. Liao, P. L. and R. A. York, "A new phase-shifterless beam-scanning technique using arrays of coupled oscillators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 41, No. 10, 1810-1815, Oct. 1993. doi:10.1109/22.247927
5. Chew, S. T., T. K. Tong, M. C. Wu, and T. Itoh, "An active phased array with optical input and beam-scanning capability," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 4, No. 10, 347-349, Oct. 1994. doi:10.1109/75.324712
6. Wang, B. and K. M. Huang, "Spatial microwave power combining with anisotropic metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 195-210, 2010.
7. Sirenko, K., V. Pazynin, Y. Sirenko, and H. Baqci, "Compression and radiation of high-power short RF pulses. II. A novel antenna array design with combined compressor/radiator elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 271-296, 2010.
8. Zhao, P. and J. Rahola, "Quarter-wavelength wideband slot antenna for 3--5 GHz mobile applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 421-424, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.859382
9. Latif, S. I., L. Shafai, and S. K. Sharma, "Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of microstrip slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, 994-1003, Mar. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842674
10. Rajgopal, S. K. and S. K. Sharma, "Investigations on ultra-wideband pentagon shape microstrip slot antenna for wireless communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, 1353-1359, May 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2016694
11. Chiu, F. H. and K. L. Wong, "Simple folded monopole slot antenna for penta-band clamshell mobile phone application," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 11, 3680-3684, Nov. 2009.
12. Lai, M. I., T. Y. Wu, J. C. Hsieh, C. H. Wang, and S. K. Jeng, "Compact switched-beam antenna employing a four-element slot antenna array for digital home applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2929-2936, Sep. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.928775
13. Zhang, F., F.-S. Zhang, C. Lin, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design and parameter study of a small size tapered slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5--6, 655-661, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788019912
14. Zheng, Z.-A., Q.-X. Chu, and T.-G. Huang, "Compact ultra-wideband slot antenna with stepped slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8--9, 1069-1078, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791586016
15. Su, M., Y.-A. Liu, S.-L. Li, and C.-P. Yu, "A compact open slot antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14--15, 2001-2010, 2010.
16. Zhu, X.-F. and D.-L. Su, "A study of a compact microstrip-fed UWB antenna with an open T-Slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 181-189, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10030106
17. Hu, W., Y.-Z. Yin, X. Yang, K. Song, Z.-Y. Liuand, and L.-H. Wen, "A wide open U-Slot antenna with a pair of symmetrical L-strips for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 141-149, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10062906
18. Riblet, H. J., "Discussion on `A current distribution for broadside arrays which optimizes the relationship between beamwidth and side-lobe level'," Proc. IRE, 489-492, May 1947.