Joint time-frequency analysis (JTFA) is applied to micro Doppler signatures generated by jet engine modulation (JEM) effect using a modified Hilbert-Huang transform (HHT). The modified HHT is developed to improve the JTFA results of measured JEM signals. Wavelet decomposition (WD) with Meyer wavelet function is considered as a supplementary process of the HHT. The modified HHT examines a signature obtained from simulation of a jet engine CAD model, and is then applied to the signatures obtained from measurement of two realistic jet engine models. The modified HHT gives more improved JTFA results of the measured JEM signals than those from the simple short-time Fourier transform - (STFT) based analysis. The modified HHT-based JTFA approach is expected to be significantly useful for enabling high-quality radar target recognition in a real environment by complementing other traditional analyses.
"Modified Hilbert-Huang Transform and Its Application to Measured Micro Doppler Signatures from Realistic Jet Engine Models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 126, 255-268, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12010602
1. Bell, M. R. and R. A. Grubbs, "JEM modeling and measurement for radar target identification," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 29, No. 1, 73-87, 1993. doi:10.1109/7.249114
2. Lim, H. and N.-H. Myung, "A novel hybrid AIPO-MoM technique for jet engine modulation analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 85-97, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10033103
3. Park, J. H., J. H. Yoo, C. H. Kim, K. I. Kwon, and N. H. Myung, "Joint time-frequency analysis of radar micro-Doppler signatures from aircraft engine models," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1069-1080, 2011.
4. Chen, V. C. and H. Ling, "Time-Frequency Transforms for Radar Imaging and Signal Analysis," Chapter 8, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2002.
5. Han, S.-K., H.-T. Kim, S.-H. Park, and K.-T. Kim, "Efficient radar target recognition using a combination of range profile and time-frequency analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 131-140, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071601
6. Guo, K. Y., Q. Li, and X. Q. Sheng, "A precise recognition method of missile warhead and decoy in multi-target scene," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 641-652, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036250
7. Lim, H., J. H. Yoo, C. H. Kim, K. I. Kwon, and N. H. Myung, "Radar cross section measurement of a realistic jet engine structure with rotating parts ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 7, 999-1008, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795253993
8. Huang, N. E., Z. Shen, S. R. Long, M. C. Wu, H. H. Shih, Q. Zheng, N. C. Yen, C. C. Tung, and H. H. Liu, "The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis," Proc. R. Soc. A, Vol. 454, No. 1971, 679-699, 1998. doi:10.1098/rspa.1998.0193
9. Liu, Z., L. Liu, and B. Barrowes, "The application of the Hilbert-Huang transform in through-wall life detection with UWB impulse radar," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 7, 695-699, 2010. doi:10.2529/PIERS100217122115
10. Yan, R. and R. X. Gao, "Hilbert-Huang transform-based vibration signal analysis for machine health monitoring," IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1327-1334, 2006.
11. Cai, C., W. Liu, J. S. Fu, and Y. Lu, "Radar micro-Doppler signature analysis with HHT," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 46, No. 2, 929-938, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAES.2010.5461668
12. Narayanan, R. M., M. C. Shastry, P.-H. Chen, and M. Levi, "Through-the-wall detection of stationary human targets using Doppler radar ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 147-166, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10022206
13. Yang, W., "Interpretation of mechanical signals using an improved Hilbert-Huang transform," Mechanical System and Signal Processing, Vol. 22, 1061-1071, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.ymssp.2007.11.024
14. Peng, Z., P. Tse, and F. Chu, "An improved Hilbert-Huang transform and its application in vibration signal analysis," Journal of Sound and Vibration, No. 286, 187-205, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2004.10.005
15. Gao, P. C., Y. B. Tao, and H. Lin, "Fast RCS prediction using multiresolution shooting and bouncing ray method on the GPU," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 187-202, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061807
16. Buddendick, H. and T. F. Eibert, "Bistatic image formation from shooting and bouncing rays simulated current distributions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 1-18, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11060212
17. Chen, G. P. and Z. Q. Zhao, "Ultrasound tomography-guide TRM technique for breast tumor detecting in MITAT system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1459-1471, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310792149650
18. Ramesh, R., M. Madheswara, and K. Kannan, "Numerical simulation of nanoscale FinFET photodetector for optimal detection of biological signals using interpolating wavelets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 31, 239-260, 2011.
19. Hatamzadeh-Varmazyar, S., M. Naser-Moghadasi, E. Babolian, and Z. Masouri, "Calculating the radar cross section of the resistive targets using the Haar wavelets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 55-80, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08042504
20. Zhang, M., Y. W. Zhao, H. Chen, and W.-Q. Jiang, "SAR imaging simulation for composite model of ship on dynamic ocean scene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 395-412, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11071501