Fully integrated printed RFID antennas show potential solution for item level labeling applications. In order to accommodate the antenna during the package printing process, it is vastly preferred that antenna structures are printed on paper substrates. However, the electromagnetic properties and thickness of paper substrates are susceptible to change due to various environmental effects. Thus, adequately consistent in performance and material insensitive printed Quadrate Bowtie RFID antennas are proposed. This paper presents an in-depth efficient optimization for high performance tag antenna designs for operability in frequencies 866-868 MHz & 902-928 MHz. It is demonstrated that the proposed antennas can tolerate a considerable variation in the permittivity on thin paper substrates, and present benchmarking results when n across metal and water containing objects.
"Performance-Optimized Quadrate Bowtie RFID Antennas for Cost-Effective and Eco-Friendly Industrial Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 126, 49-64, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020805
1. Zuo, Y., "Survivable RFID systems: Issues, challenges, and techniques," IEEE J. SMCC , Vol. 40, No. 4, 406-418, 2010.
2. Tiang, J.-J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 499-512, 2011.
3. Chen, S.-L., S.-K. Kuo, and C.-T. Lin, "A metallic RFID tag design for steel-bar and wire-rod management application in the steel industry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 195-212, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09021304
4. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
5. Hsu, H.-T., F.-Y. Kuo, and C.-H. Chang, "Application of quasi log-periodic antenna for UHF passive RFID tag design featuring constant power transmission coefficient over broadband operation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 575-586, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036340
6. Jamlos, M. F., T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, P. Saad, M. A. Shamsudin, and A. M. M. Dahlan, "A novel adaptive Wi-Fi system with RFID technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 417-432, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071904
7. Alimenti, F., M. Virili, G. Orecchini, P. Mezzanotte, V. Palazzari, M. M. Tentzeris, and L. Roselli, "A new contactless assembly method for paper substrate antennas and UHF RFID chips," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 3, 627-637, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2103210
8. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Effects of interferences in UHF RFID systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 425-443, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09101703
10. Bose, I. and S. Yan, "The green potential of RFID projects: A case-based analysis," IEEE IT Pro., Vol. 13, No. 1, 41-47, 2011. doi:10.1109/MITP.2011.15
11. Makimura, H., Y. Watanabe, K. Watanabe, and H. Igarashi, "Evolutional design of small antennas for passive UHF-band RFID," IEEE J. MAG, Vol. 47, No. 5, 1510-1513, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2089607
12. Qu, S.-W. and C.-L. Ruan, "Effect of round corners on bowtie antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 179-195, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05072103
13. Huang, Y. and K. Boyle, "Antennas from Theory to Practice," John Wiley & Sons Ltd., New York, 2008.
14. Nikitin, P. V. and K. V. Rao, "Antennas and propagation in UHF RFID systems," IEEE International Conference on RFID, 277-288, 2008. doi:10.1109/RFID.2008.4519368
15. Tikhov, Y., "Comments on `antenna design for UHF RFID tags: A review and a practical application," IEEE J. AP, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2006.
16. Kuo, S.-K., S.-L. Chen, and C.-T. Lin, "An accurate method for impedance measurement of RFID tag antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 93-106, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08042104
17. Sanchez-Montero, R., S. Salcedo-Sanz, J. A. Portilla-Figueras, and R. Langley, "Hybrid pifa-patch antenna optimized by evolutionary programming," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 221-234, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10072804
18. Lin, D. B., I.-T. Tang, and C.-C.Wang, "UHF RFID H-shaped tag antenna using microstrip feed design on metallic objects," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1828-1839, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311797454024
19. Xi, J., H. Zhu, and T. T. Ye, "Platform-tolerant PIFA-type UHF RFID tag antenna," International IEEE Conference on RFID, 174-180, 2010.
20. Bjorninen, T., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and L. Ukkonen, "Low-profile conformal UHF RFID tag antenna for integration with water bottles," IEEE J. AWPL, Vol. 10, 1147-1150, 2011.