We report on the design, simulation and characterization of a solid-state W-band in-phase power-combined frequency tripler. In order to increase the output power of the frequency tripler without sacrificing efficiency and bandwidth, two mirror-image tripler circuits with four UMS® Schottky varistor diode chips are designed and mounted in a waveguide block, which includes a compact double-probe power divider at the input waveguide and a Y-junction power combiner at the output waveguide, respectively. Each circuit chip features four anodes on a 50 mil thick Rogers RT/duroid 5880 substrate. The tripler has 1.2~3.8 % conversion efficiency measured across the 75~110 GHz band when driven with 24 dBm of input power at room temperature. With the input power of 27 dBm, 5.5~11 dBm of saturated output power is produced over 75~110 GHz. Suppression of undesired harmonics is greater than 17 dB.
"Design and Characterization of a W-Band Power-Combined Frequency Tripler for High-Power and Broadband Operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 134, 133-150, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12092009
1. Mehdi, I., J. Ward, A. Maestrini, G. Chattopadhyay, E. H. Schlecht, and J. Gill, "Pushing the limits of multiplier-based local oscillator chains," Proc. 19th International Symposium on Space Terahertz Technology, 196-200, Groningen, Apr. 28-30, 2008.
2. Vahdati, H. and A. Abdipour, "Nonlinear stability analysis of microwave oscillators using the periodic averaging method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 179-193, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100101
3. Zhang, H., J. Wang, and C. Tong, "Progress in theoretical design and numerical simulation of high power terahertz backward wave oscillator," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 3, 311-315, 2008. doi:10.2529/PIERS071001065701
4. Zhao, M., Y. Fan, D. Wu, and J. Zhan, "The investigation of W-band microstrip integrated high order frequency multiplier based on the nonlinear model of avalanche diode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 439-453, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08090702
5. Mehdi, I., J. Ward, A. Maestrini, G. Chattopadhyay, E. Schlecht, B. Thomas, R. Lin, C. Lee, and J. Gill, "Broadband sources in the 1-3 THz range," 34th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves, 1-2, Sept. 21-25, 2009.
6. Maiwald, F., E. Schlecht, J. Ward, R. Lin, R. Leon, J. Pearson, and I. Mehdi, "Design and operational considerations for robust planar GaAs varactors: A reliability study," Proc. 14th International Symposium on Space Terahertz Technology, 488-491, Tucson, AZ, Apr. 22-24, 2003.
7. Maestrini, A., J. Ward, G. Chattopadhyay, E. Schlecht, and I. Mehdi, "Terahertz sources based on frequency multiplication and their applications," Journal of RF-Engineering and Telecommunications, Vol. 62, 118-122, May 2008.
8. Lee, C., J. Ward, R. Lin, E. Schlecht, G. Chattopadhyay, J. Gill, B. Thomas, A. Maestrini, I. Mehdi, and P. Siegel, "Diamond heat-spreaders for submillimeter-wave GaAs Schottky diode frequency multipliers," Proc. 20th International Symposium on Space Terahertz Technology, 43-46, Charlottesville, Apr. 20-22, 2009.
9. Maestrini, A., J. S. Ward, J. Gill, H. S. Javadi, E. Schlecht, J. Ward, C. T. Canseliet, G. Chattopadhyay, and I. Mehdi, "A 540-640-GHz high-efficiency four-anode frequency tripler," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 9, 2835-2843, Sept. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.854174
10. Siles, J. V. and J. Grajal, "Capabilities of GaN schottky multipliers for lo power generation at millimeter-wave bands," Proc. 19th International Symposium on Space Terahertz Technology, 504-507, Tucson, Groningen, Apr. 28-30, 2008.
11. Schumann, B., M. Hoft, and R. Judaschke, "A multi-element 150/300 GHz spatial power dividing/combining frequency doubler," 2002 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1539-1542, Jun. 2002.
12. Schumann, B., M. Hoft, M. Saglam, H. L. Hartnagel, and R. Judaschke, "A 5 element 450 GHz HBV frequency tripler," 2003 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 759-762, Jun. 2003. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2003.1212482
13. Judaschke, R., M. Hoft, and K. Schunemann, "Quasi-optical 150 GHz power combining oscillator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, 300-302, May 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.847660
14. Maestrini, A., C. Tripon-Canseliet, J. S. Ward, J. Gill, and I. Mehdi, "A 260-340 GHz dual chip frequency tripler for THz frequency multiplier chains," Joint 31st International Conference on Infrared Millimeter Waves and 14th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics, 336, Sept. 2006. doi:10.1109/ICIMW.2006.368544
15. Maestrini, A., J. S. Ward, C. T. Canseliet, J. Gill, C. Lee, H. Javadi, G. Chattopadhyay, and I. Mehdi, "In-phase powr-combined frequency tripler at 300 GHz," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 3, 218-220, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.916820
16. Kirby, P. L., Y. Li, Q. Xiao, J. L. Hesler, and J. Papapolymerou, "Power combining multiplier using HBV diodes at 260 GHz," Proc. Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2008.
17. Siles, J. V., A. Maestrini, B. Alderman, S. Davies, H. Wang, J. Treuttel, E. Leclerc, T. Narhi, and C. Goldstein, "A single-waveguide in-phase power-combined frequency doubler at 190 GHz," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 21, No. 6, 332-334, Jun. 2011. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2011.2134080
18. Marsh, S., B. Alderman, D. Matheson, and P. de Maagt, "Design of low-cost 183 GHz subharmonic mixers for commercial applications," IET Circuits Devices Syst., Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-6, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-cds:20060212
19. Tuovinen, J. and N. R. Ericson, "Analysis of a 170 GHz frequency doubler with an array of planar diodes," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 4, 962-968, Apr. 1995. doi:10.1109/22.375261
20. Porterfield, D., "High-efficiency terahertz frequency triplers," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 337-340, Honolulu, HI, Jun. 3-8, 2007.
21. Chen, Z. H. and J. P. Xu, "Analysis of power null for millimeter wave broadband frequency multiplying applications," 2012 5th Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves (GSMM), 286-290, May 2012. doi:10.1109/GSMM.2012.6314056
22. Maestrini, A., J. S.Ward, J. J. Gill, C. Lee, B. Thomas, R. H. Lin, G. Chattopadhyay, and I. Mehdi, "A frequency-multiplied source with more than 1mW of power across the 840-900-GHz band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 7, 1925-1932, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2050171
23. Morgan, M. and S. Weinreb, "A full waveguide band MMIC tripler for 75-110 GHz," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 103-106, Phoenix, AZ, 2001.
24. Wang, H., "Design and modeling of monolithic circuits Schottky diode on a GaAs substrate at millimeter and submillimeter wavelengths heterodyne receivers for multi-pixel and on board satellites dedicated to planetary aeronomy," , Ph.D. Dissertation, University of P&M Curie, Paris 6, 2009.