The insertion of vertical slabs in a metallic rectangular waveguide distorts the power distribution of the waveguide, producing new modes and modifying the existing ones. The resulting waveguide, known as E-plane loaded rectangular waveguide, is studied in this paper, focusing the attention on the TE-type modes in a symmetrical case. A quasi-TE10 is found which may confine the energy in the central air region by suitably choosing the dielectric slabs' dimensions. An algorithm to optimize these dimensions is proposed in order to maximize the confinement of power in the air region and minimize the attenuation of the mode. This minimization is specially important at high frequencies, where the ohmic losses and the dielectric absorption become extremely high. This paper includes an example at THz frequencies and presents the design of several devices using the E-plane loaded rectangular waveguide.
Jose I. Herranz,
"Optimization of the E-Plane Loaded Rectangular Waveguide for Low-Loss Propagation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 135, 411-433, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12102305
1. Collin, R. E., , Field Theory of Guided Waves, , John Wiley & Sons, 1991..
3. Tsandoulas, G., D. Temme, and F. Willwerth, "Longitudinal section mode analysis of dielectrically loaded rectangular waveguides with application to phase shifter design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, , Vol. 18, No. 2, 88-95, 1970. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1970.1127159
4. Bogle, , A., M. Havrilla, D. Nyquis, L. Kempel, and E. Rothwell, "Electromagnetic material characterization using a partially-filled rectangular waveguide," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1291-1306, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775525909
5. Seckelmann, , R., , "Propagation of te modes in dielectric loaded waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 14, No. 11, 518-527, 1966. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1966.1126322
6. Witt, , H., , R. Biss, and E. Price, , "Propagation constants of a waveguide containing parallel sheets of ¯fiite conductivity," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 15, No. 4, 232-239, 1967. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1967.1126433
7. Gardiol, , F., "Higher-order modes in dielectrically loaded rectangular waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 16, No. 11, 919-924, 1968. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1968.1126827
8. Simons, , R., , "On mode classification in rectangular waveguides partially ¯lled with dielectric slabs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 34, No. 2, 297-298, , v.
9. Bui, , V. , R. Gagne, and , "Dielectric losses in an H-plane-loaded rectangular waveguide (short papers)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory Techniques, Vol. 20, No. 9, 621-623, 1972. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1972.1127827
10. Jiang, , Z., Z. Shen, and X. Shan, , "Mode-matching analysis of waveguide T-junction loaded with an H-plane dielectric slab," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 11, 1613-1614, 2002. doi:10.1163/156939302X01029
11. Llombart, , N., , A. Mazzinghi, P. Siegel, and A. Freni, , "Design of a low loss metallo-dielectric EBG waveguide at submillimeter wavelengths," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters,, Vol. 19, No. 7, 437-439, 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2022123
12. Wang, , Z., , L. Ye, Y. Zhang, R. Xu, and W. Lin, , "Investigation of terahertz wave propagation along parallel-plate dielectric waveguide using various metal conductivity models," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 8, No. 9, 1231-1242, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795762015
13. Matvejev, V., , C. de Tandt, W. Ranson, J. Stiens, R. Vounckx and D. Mangelings, "Integrated waveguide structure for highly sensitive THz spectroscopy of nano-liter liquids in capillary tubes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 89-101, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11090102
15. Zhu, , B., J. Stiens, V. Matvejev, and R. Vounckx, "Inexpensive and easy fabrication of multi-mode tapered dielectric circular probes at millimeter wave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 237-254, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12010203
16. Tayeboun, F., , R. Naoum, H. Tayeboun, H. Hattori, and F. SalahBelkhodja, "Improved transmission waveguide bends in photonic crystal," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 19, No. 5, 615-628, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393053305099
17. Tretyakov, , O. A. , M. Kaya, and , "The real-valued time-domain TE-modes in lossy waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 405-426, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12031402
18. Canto, , J. R., , C. P. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, , "Modal analysis of bi-isotropic H-guides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 1-24, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10093004
19. Dong, , J., J. Li, and F.-Q. Yang, , "Guided modes in the four-layer slab waveguide containing chiral nihility core," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 241-255, 2011..
20. Choudhury, P. K., "Transmission through twisted clad liquid crystal optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 169-184, 2012.
21. Dong, J., J. Li, and , "Characteristics of guided modes in uniaxial chiral circular waveguides=," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 124, 331-345, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112312
22. Pozar, D., , Microwave and RF Design of Wireless Systems,, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2000, 2000.
23. Pei, , Y., A. Zeng, L. Zhou, R. Zhang, and K. Xu, , "Electromagnetic optimal design for dual-band radome wall with alternating layers of staggered composite and kagome lattice structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 122, 437-452, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11101906
24. Frances Monllor, J., , J., , C. Neipp, A. Marquez Ruiz, A. Belendez, and I. Pascual, "Analysis of reflection gratings by means of a matrix method approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, , Vol. 118, 167-183, 2011.
25. Chew, , W., , Waves and Fields in Inhomogenous Media, IEEE, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, , 1995.
26. Corporation, , A., , "HFSS (high frequency structural simulator),"," Suite v11, Pittsburg,, 2009..
27. Jamison, , S., R. McGowan, and D. Grischkowsky, , "Single-mode waveguide propagation and reshaping of sub-ps terahertz pulses in sapphire fibers," Applied Physics Letters, , Vol. 76, 1987, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.126231
28. Chen, , D., H. Chen, and , "Highly birefringent low-loss terahertz waveguide: Elliptical polymer tube," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 11, No. 12, 1553-1562, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310792149623
30. Wang, , K., D. Mittleman, and , "Metal wires for terahertz wave guiding," Nature,, Vol. 432, No. 7015, 376-379, 2004.. doi:10.1038/nature03040
31. Bolivar, , P., , et al., "Measurement of the dielectric constant and loss tangent of high dielectric-constant materials at terahertz frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1062-1066, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809693