It is difficult to determine the feed radiation center and F/D of the reflector impulse-radiating antenna (IRA) in frequencydomain, due to its ultra-wideband (UWB) property. This paper presents an efficient approach to design the reflector IRAs, via evaluating the transient radiation patterns (TRPs) of the feed for some given different radiation centers. Only one time-domain simulation for the feed is needed in this method. Comparing with the global optimization algorithms, our method is fast and reliable in the design of the reflector IRAs.
"A Time-Domain Approach for the Fast Design of Reflector Impulse-Radiating Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 135, 137-149, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12111405
1. Tyo, , J. S., , E. G. Farr, and D. I. Lawry, , "Effect of defocus on the prompt response of a reflector IRA," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 3247-3254, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856322
3. Radasky, W. A., C. E. Baum, and M. W. Wik, "Introductionto the special issue on high-power electromagnetics (HPEM) and intentional electromagnetic interference (IEMI)," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, 314-321, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.831899
4. Ban, , Y.-L., , H.-M. Yuan, J.-H. Chen, J. L.-W. Li, and Y.-J. Wu, "A novel ultra-wideband antenna with distributed inductance for wireless USB dongle attached to laptop computer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2--3, 179-191, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939312800030794
5. Chang, L., C. Liao, L.-L. Chen, W. Lin, X. Zheng, and Y.-L. Wu, "Design of an ultra-wideband power divider via the coarse-grained parallel micro-genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 425-440, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11120517
6. Pancera, , E., , T. Zwick, and W. Wiesbeck, "Spherical fidelity patterns of UWB antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 2111-2119, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2143666
7. Jo, , N.-I., , C.-Y. Kim, D.-O. Kim, and H.-A. Jang, , "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with quadruple-band rejection characteristics using SRR/CSRR structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 5--6, 583-592, 2012. doi:,
8. Zhu, , X., , H. L. Xiong, Q. Yu, and K. C. Yi, "Single link tracking scheme based on UWB localization.," Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 20, No. 6, 1207-1212, 2009.
9. Li, , W.-T. , Y.-Q. Hei, and , "Design of ultrawideband antenna with multiple band-notched characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 7, 942-951, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.710417
10. Chen, Z. , Y.-P. Zhang, and , "Effects of antennas and propagation channels on synchronization performance of a pulse-based ultra-wideband radio system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 115, 95-112, 2011.
11. Li, , B., , Z. Zhou, D. Li, and S. Zhai, , "Effcient cluster identification for measured ultra-wideband channel impulse response in vehicle cabin," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, , 121-147, 2011.
12. Bajracharya, , C., , X. Shu, C. E. Baum, and K. H. Schoenbach, "Target detection with impulse radiating antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 496-499, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2157070
13. Harmer, , S. W., , S. E. Cole, N. J. Bowring, N. D. Rezgui, and D. Andrews, "On body concealed weapon detection using a phased antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 187-210, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112105
14. Mao, S. G., , J. C. Yeh, and S. L. Chen, , "Ultrawideband circularly polarized spiral antenna using integrated balun with application to time-domain target detection," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 1914-1920, 2009.
15. Kumar, P., , C. E. Baum, S. Altunc, J. Buchenauer, X. Shu, C. G. Christodoulou, E. Schamiloglu, and K. H. Schoenbach, "A hyperband antenna to launch and focus fast high-voltage pulses onto biological targets," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1090-1101, 2011.. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2114110
16. O'Halloran, M., , M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Rotating antenna microwave imaging system for breast cancer detection," ProgressIn Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 203-217, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071002
17. Chen, , Y. F., I. J. Craddock, P. Kosmas, M. Ghavami, and P. Rapajic, "Multiple-input multiple-output radar for lesion classiflcation in ultrawideband breast imaging," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, No. 1, 187-201, 2010. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2009.2038975
18. Zanoon, , T. F. , M. Z. Abdullah, and , "Early stage breast cancer detection by means of time-domain ultra-wide band sensing," Measurement Science and Technology,, Vol. 22, No. 1, 114016, 2011. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/22/11/114016
19. Park, , J. H., , H. K. Choi, and S. H. Kim, , "Design of Ku-band reflectarray using hexagonal patch with crossed slots," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 10, 2383-2387, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.27095
20. Schejbal, V., , J. Pidanic, and O. Fiser, , "Broadband approximation of radiation patterns for doubly curved reflector antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 6, 140-146, 2011. doi:10.1109/MAP.2011.6157729
21. Guo, , C., , A. X. Zhang, H. Wu, Y. S. Jiang, and W. B. Wang, "A high-power reflector impulse antenna with dual-tem source," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves,, Vol. 29, No. 9, 832-838, 2008. doi:10.1007/s10762-008-9383-4
22. Lee, K. H., , C. C. Chen, and R. Lee, , "UWB dual-linear polarization dielectric horn antennas as reflector feeds," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 798-804, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891804
23. Lisitsyn, V. P, , "A parabolic antenna for the radiation power UWB pulses on the basis of the satellite dish," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium,, 811, 2006.
24. Baum, , C. E., "Radiation of impulse-like transient fields," Sensor and Simulation Notes, Note 321,, 1989.
25. Yi, , C. L., , S. T. Zhu, Y. J. Fan, and W. F. Xia, "Time-domain method of determining radiation centers of ultra wideband antennas," High Power Laser and Particle Beams,, Vol. 23, No. 5, 1312-1314, 2011.. doi:10.3788/HPLPB20112305.1312
26. Zhang, X. G., , G. Wu, and Y. Zhong, , "The phase optimization of the paraboloidal reflectarray antenna on satellite," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 27, No. 1, 197-202, 2012.
27. Plastikov, , A. N. , N. M. Feizulla, and , "Simulation of array fed scanning reflector antenna with small beam shift step," Journal of Radio Electronics, Vol. 6, 15-15, 2012.
28. Liao, , Y., , P. Xie, and W. Lu, , "Cassegrain dual reflector antenna for UWB high power microwave," High Power Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 19, No. 8, 1329-1332, 2007.
29. Yi, , C. L., , S. T. Zhu, and Y. J. Fan, , "Ultrawide band dual-pulse radiating antenna," High Power Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 22, No. 5, 1081-1084, 2010. doi:10.3788/HPLPB20102205.1081
30. Chen, L. L., , C. Liao, L. Chang, X. Zheng, G. Su, and J. Fang, "A novel ultra-wideband knife-shape TEM horn antenna design for transient application," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology Proceedings, 355-358, 2010..
31. Dib, , N. I., , S. K. Goudos, and H. Muhsen, "Application of Taguchi's optimization method and self-adaptive differential evolution to the synthesis of linear antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122306
32. Li, R., Li, R., L. Xu, X.-W. Shi, N. Zhang, and Z.-Q. Lv, Improved, "Improved differential evolution strategy for antenna array pattern synthesis problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 429-441, 2011.
33. Chen, L.-L., , C. Liao, W. Lin, L. Chang, and X.-M. Zhong, "Hybrid-surrogate-model-based e±cient global optimization for high-dimensional antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 85-100, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11121203