Two new compact planar triple-mode resonators embedded with inductive or capacitive cross coupling are proposed for bandpass filter design. Both resonators consist of a shorted half-wave ring. In the first resonator, two shorted half-wave sections with inductive coupling are connected to the shorted via of the ring. In the second, two quarter-wave sections with capacitive coupling are connected. The inductive coupling is realized by a short grounded high-impedance segment, and the capacitive coupling is implemented by an interdigital capacitor. When both the inductive and capacitive coupling coefficients are properly realized, a transmission zero can be created at designated position in either upper or lower stopband. The shorted ring is accommodated inside the area of the other two resonance sections so that a compact area can be achieved. As compared with a conventional dual-mode ring resonator filter, the proposed resonators use only 46.7% and 22.5% in area. Two triple-mode resonator bandpass filters are fabricated and measured to validate the ideas. Measurement results have good agreement with the simulation responses.
"New Compact Triple-Mode Resonator Filter with Embedded Inductive and Capacitive Cross Coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 135, 435-449, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12112101
1. Kundu, , A. C., I. Awai, and , "Control of attenuation pole frequency of a dual-mode microstrip ring resonator bandpass filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 6, 1113-1117, Jun. 2001. doi:10.1109/22.925499
2. Wei, , C.-L., , B.-F. Jia, Z.-J. Zhu, and M.-C. Tang, "Design of different selectivity dual-mode filters with E-shape resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 517-532, 2011.
3. Kuo, , J.-T. , C.-Y. Tsai, and , "Periodic stepped-impedance ring resonator (PSIRR) filter with a miniaturized area and desirable upper stopband characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1107-1112, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.864121
4. Chen, , C.-H., , C.-S. Shih, T.-S. Horng, and S.-M. Wu, "Very miniature dual-band and dual-mode bandpass filter designs on an integrated passive device chip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 461-476, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11080105
5. Zhu, L., , S. Sun, and W. Menzel , Ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filters using multiple-mode resonator, IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 796-798, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.859011
6. Wang, , H., , Q.-X. Chu, and J.-Q. Gong, "A compact wideband microstrip filter using folded multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 5, 287-289, May 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2017591
7. Chiou, , Y.-C., , J.-T. Kuo, and E. Cheng, "Broadband Quasi-Chebyshev bandpass filter with multimode stepped-impedance resonators (SIRs)," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 8, 3352-3357, Oct. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.879131
8. Wong, , S. W. , L. Zhu, and , "Quadruple-mode UWB bandpass filter with improved out-of-band rejection," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett.,, Vol. 19, No. 3, 152-154, Mar. 2009.. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2013735
9. Chiou, , Y.-C., J.-T. Kuo, and , "Planar multiband bandpass filter with multimode stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 129-144, 2011..
10. Ma, , K., , K. C. B. Liang, R. M. Jayasuriya, and K. S. Yeo, "A wideband and high rejection multimode bandpass filter using stub perturbation," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 1, 24-26, , Jan. 2009.. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2008554
11. Shen, , W., , X.-W. Sun, and W.-Y. Yin, , "A novel microstrip filter using three-mode stepped impedance resonator (TSIR)," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 774-776, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2033495
12. Lugo, , C., J. Papapolymerou, and , "Planar realization of a triple-mode bandpass filter using a multilayer configuration," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 2, 296-301, , Feb. 2007.. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.889148
13. Srisathit, , K., , A. Woraphishet, and W. Surakampontorn, "Design of triple-mode ring resonator for wideband microstrip bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.,, Vol. 11, No. 58, 2867-2877, Nov. 2010.. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2078295
14. Cho, , C. S., , J. W. Lee, and J. Kim, "Dual- and triple-mode branch-line ring resonators and harmonic suppressed half-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 11, No. 54, 3968-3974, Nov. 2006.. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.884688
15. Lok, , U.-H., , Y.-C. Chiou, and J.-T. Kuo, "Quadruple-mode coupled-ring resonator bandpass filter with quasi-elliptic function passband," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 3, 179-181, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.916782
16. Lin, , T.-W., , J.-T. Kuo, and S.-J. Chung, , "New triple-mode ring resonator bandpass filter with source-load coupling," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 2011.
17. Ho, M.-H., P.-F. Chen, and , "Suspended substrate stripline bandpass filters with source-load coupling structure using lumped bandpass ¯lters with source-load coupling structure using lumped," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 519-535, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11102502
18. Kuo, , J.-T., S.-W. Lai, and , "New dual-band bandpass filter with wide upper rejection band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 371-384, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112304
19. Cameron, , R. J. M., C. M. Kudsia, and R. R. Mansour, , Microwave Filters for Communication Systems, Wiley, New Jersey, 2007.