In this paper, a directional coupler incorporating the bandpass frequency response characteristic is proposed and characterized. This structure is modified from a conventional branch-line coupler. Two wide open-ended coupled lines are used instead of microstrip branch lines. As such, good restraint performance outside the passband can be achieved. The even-odd mode technique is employed to analyze and synthesize such a coupler. After that, frequency tuning is achieved by modifying the electrical length of the open-ended coupled lines with varactors. Measured results validate the correctness of our theory and design.
Yu Jian Cheng,
"Directional Coupler with Good Restraint Outside the Passband and Its Frequency-Agile Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 135, 759-771, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121009
1. Uchida, , H., , N. Yoneda, Y. Konishi, and S. Makino, "Bandpass directional couplers with electromagnetically-coupled resonators," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., , 1563-1566, 2006.
2. Wang, , W. H., , T. M. Shen, T. Y. Huang, and R. B. Wu, "Miniaturized rat-race coupler with bandpass response and good stopband rejection," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., , 709-712, 2009.
3. Shen, , T. M., , T. Y. Huang, C. F. Chen, and R. B. Wu, "A laminated waveguide magic-T with bandpass filter response in multilayer LTCC," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech. , Vol. 59, No. 3, 584-592, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2104973
4. Wong, , Y. S., , S. Y. Zheng, and W. S. Chan, , "Multifolded bandwidth banch line coupler with fitering characteristic using coupled port feeding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 17-35, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11041401
5. Lin, , C. K. , S. J. Chung, and , "A compact filtering 180 hybrid," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 59, No. 12, 3030-3036, Dec. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2169276
6. Cheng, Y. J., Y. Fan, and , "Compact substrate-integrated waveg-uide bandpass rat-race coupler and its microwave applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 9, 1000-1006, Jul. 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0011
7. Djoumessi, , E., , E. Marsan, C. Caloz, M. Chaker, and K. Wu, "Varactor tuned dual-band quadrature hybrid coupler," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett.,, Vol. 16, No. 11, 603-605, Nov. 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.884905
8. Chen, J.-X., , J. Shi, Z.-H. Bao, and Q. Xue, , "Tunable and switchable bandpass filters using slot-line resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 25-41, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10100808
9. Costa, , F., A. Monorchio, and , "Design of subwavelength tunable and steerable Fabry-Perot/leaky wave antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 467-481, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10111702
10. Lee, , W.-S., H.-L. Lee, K.-S. Oh, and J.-W. Yu, "Switchable distance-based impedance matching networks for a tunable HF system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 128, 19-34, 2012.
11. Martinez-Lopez, , R., , J. Rodriguez-Cuevas, A. E. Martynyuk, and J. I. Martinez Lopez, "An active ring slot with RF mems switchable radial stubs for reconfigurable frequency selective surface applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 128, 419-440, , 2012.
12. Cheng, , Y. J., "Substrate integrated waveguide frequency-agile slot antenna and its multibeam application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 153-168, 2012.
13. Gipprich, , J. W., , "A newclass of branch-line directional couplers," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 589-592, 1993..
14. Fathelbab, , W. M., "The synthesis of a class of branch-line directional couplers," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 56, No. 8, 1985-1994, , Aug. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.927407