In this paper, a novel miniaturized nested split-ring resonator (SRR) structure is proposed. The nested SRR structure incorporates multiple split-ring resonators in a compact nested structure, and has more split gaps than the conventional SRR structure. Compared with conventional SRR, this nested SRR has better performance on miniaturization and high-Q value. To verify good characteristics of the proposed resonator structure, a novel resonator-embedded band-pass filter (BPF), which is constructed by four nested resonators, is designed. This novel BPF is very compact and has good in- and out-band performances. The proposed nested SRR unit cell has size of 0.04λg x 0.04λg(λg is the signal wavelength at the 2.4 GHz central frequency of the pass-band). Its stop-bands are extended 0.5~2 GHz at lower band and 2.7~5.4 GHz at upper band with a rejection level of higher than 20 dB, and its 1-dB pass-band is 2.2~2.55 GHz with 1.8 dB optimized insertion loss. The measured and simulated results are well complied with each other.
Zhong Xun Zhang,
"Novel Nested Split-Ring-Resonator (SRR) for Compact Filter Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 136, 765-773, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121306
1. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
2. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
3. Baena, J. D., J. Bonache, F. Martin, et al. "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845211
4. Montero-de-Paz, J., E. Ugarte-Munoz, F. J. Hettaiz-Martinez, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antennas loaded with split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, 2011.
5. Zhang, F., Q. Zhao, J. Sun, J. Zhou, and D. Lippens, "Coupling effect of split ring resonator and its mirror image," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 233-247, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11121808
6. Carbonell, J., E. Lheurette, and D. Lippens, "From rejection to transmission with stacked arrays of split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 215-224, 2011.
7. Nornikman, H., B. H. Ahmad, M. Z. A. Abdul Aziz, M. F. B. A. Malek, H. Imran, and A. R. Othman, "Study and simulation of an edge couple split ring resonator (Ec-Srr) on truncated pyramidal microwave absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 319-334, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12030601
8. Kim, D.-O., N.-I. Jo, H.-A. Jang, and C.-Y. Kim, "Design of the ultrawideband antenna with a quadruple-band rejection characteristics using a combination of the complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 93-107, 2011.
9. Zhang, Q.-L., W.-Y. Yin, S. He, and L.-S. Wu, "Evanescent-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110307
10. Zhou, L., S. B. Liu, X. K. Kong, and Y. N. Guo, "Novel cross-coupled filter design using improved split-ring resonators based on stepped impedance resonator," Microw. and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 9, 1976-1980, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.26169
11. Melik, R., E. Unal, N. K. Perkgoz, B. Santoni, D. Kamstock, C. Puttlitz, and H. V. Demir, "Nested metamaterials for wireless strain sensing," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 2, 450-458, 2010. doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2009.2033391
12. He, X. J., L. Qiu, Y. Wang, Z. X. Geng, J. M. Wang, and T. L. Gui, "A compact thin-film sensor based on nested split-ring-resonator (SRR) metamaterials for microwave applications," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 32, 902-913, 2011. doi:10.1007/s10762-011-9807-4
13. Zhu, J. W. and Z. H. Feng, "Microstrip interdigital hairpin resonator with an optimal physical length," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 12, 672-674, 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.885622
14. Tsai, L. C., "Miniature bandpass filters with stepped-impedance resonators," Microw. and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1167-1170, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26758