In this work, near infrared filtering properties in a transmission narrowband filter are theoretically investigated. The filter is a defective photonic crystal of (LH)ND(HL)N, where N is the stack number, L is SiO2, H is InP, and defect layer D is an extrinsic semiconductor of n-type silicon (n-Si). It is found that there are multiple transmission peaks within the photonic band gap (PBG) as the defect thickness increases. The filtering position can be changed by varying the doping density in n-Si. That is, the peak (channel) wavelength is blued-shifted when the doping density increases. In the angle-dependent filtering property, the channel wavelength is also blued-shifted as the angle of incidence increases for both TE and TM waves. These filtering properties are of technical use in the applications of semiconductor optoelectronics.
"Near Infrared Filtering Properties in Photonic Crystal Containing Extrinsic and Dispersive Semiconductor Defect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 137, 359-370, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13010107
1. Orfanidis, S. J., Electromagnetic Waves and Antennas, Rutger University, 2008, www.ece.rutgers.edu/∼orfanidi/ewa.
2. Choudhury, P. K. and W. K. Soon, "TE mode propagation through tapered core liquid crystal optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 449-463, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10021104
3. McPhail, D., M. Straub, and M. Gu, "Optical tuning of threedimensional photonic crystals fabricated by femtosecond direct writing," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 87, 091117, 2005. doi:10.1063/1.2037862
4. Halevi, P., J. A. Reyes-Avendano, and J. A. Reyes-Cervantes, "Electrically tuned phase transition and band structure in a liquidcrystal-infilled photonic crystal," Physical Review E, Vol. 73, R040701, 2006.
5. Bermann, O. L., Y. E. Lozovik, S. L. Eiderman, and R. D. Coalson, "Superconducting photonic crystals," Physical Review B, Vol. 74, 092505, 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.74.092505
6. Wu, C.-J., C.-L. Liu, and W.-K. Kuo, "Analysis of thicknessdependent optical properties in a one-dimensional superconducting photonic crystal," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 1113-1122, 2009.
7. Lyubchanskii, I. L., N. N. Dadoenkova, A. E. Zabolotin, Y. P. Lee, and Th. Rasing, "A one-dimensional photonic crystal with a superconducting defect layer," Journal of Optics A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 11, 114014, 2009. doi:10.1088/1464-4258/11/11/114014
8. Lin, W.-H., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Terahertz multichanneled filter in a superconducting photonic crystal," Optics Express, Vol. 18, 27155-27166, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.027155
10. Hu, C. A., J.-W. Liu, C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-L. Yang, "Effects of superconducting thin film on the defect modes in a heterostructure photonic crystal," Solid State Communications, Vol. 157, 54-57, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.ssc.2012.12.022
11. Wu, C.-J., J.-J. Liao, and T. W. Chang, "Tunable multilayer Fabry-Perot resonator using electro-optical defect layer," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 4, 531-542, 2010.
12. Qi, L.-M. and Z. Yang, "Modified plane wave method analysis of dielectric plasma photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics esearch, Vol. 91, 319-332, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09022605
13. Tian, H. and J. Zi, "One-dimensional tunable photonic crystals by means of external magnetic fields," Optics Communications, Vol. 252, 321-328, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2005.04.022
14. Halevi, P. and F. Ramos-Mendieta, "Tunable photonic crystals with semiconducting constituents," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 85, 1875-1878, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.85.1875
15. Halevi, P., A. S. Sanchez, and E. Galindo-Linares, "Tuning and switching of spontaneous emission in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Optics Communications, Vol. 269, 351-355, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2006.08.010
16. Galindo-Linares, E., P. Halevi, and A. S. Sanchez, "Tuning of one-dimensional Si/SiO2 photonic crystals at the wavelength of 1.54mm," Solid State Communications, Vol. 142, 67-70, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.ssc.2007.01.018
17. King, T.-C., Y.-P. Yang, Y.-S. Liou, and C.-J. Wu, "Tunable defect mode in a semiconductor-dielectric photonic crystal containing extrinsic semiconductor defect," Solid State Communications, Vol. 152, 2189-2192, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.ssc.2012.10.004
18. Hung, H.-C., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Enhancement of near-infrared photonic band gap in a doped semiconductor photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 219-235, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12010311
19. Hung, H.-C., C.-J. Wu, T.-J. Yang, and S.-J. Chang, "Analysis of tunable multiple-filtering property in a photonic crystal containing strongly extrinsic semiconductor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 14-15, 2089-2099, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311798072009
20. Tan, C., G. Fan, T. Zhou, S. Li, and H. Sun, "Preparation of InP-SiO2 3D photonic crystals," Physica B, Vol. 363, 1-6, 2005.
21. Ghosh, R., K. K. Ghosh, and R. Chakraborty, "Narrow band filter using 1D periodic structure with defects for DWDW systems," Optics Communications, Vol. 289, 75-80, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2012.10.001
22. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley & Sons, Singapore, 1991.
23. Tolmachev, V. A., A. V. Baldycheva, K. Berwick, and T. S. Perova, "Influence of fluctuations of the geometrical parameters on the photonic band gaps in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 285-302, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020109
24. Wu, C.-J., T.-J. Yang, C. C. Li, and P. Y. Wu, "Investigation of effective plasma frequencies in one-dimensional plasma photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 521-538, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12030505
25. Dai, X., Y. Xiang, and S. Wen, "Broad omnidirectional reflector in the one-dimensional ternary photonic crystals containing superconductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 17-34, 2011.
26. Mouldi, A. and M. Kanzari, "Design of microwave devices exploiting fibonacci and hybrid periodic/fibonacci one dimensional photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 40, 221-240, 2012.
27. Zhang, H. F., S. Liu, X.-K. Kong, B.-R. Bian, and X. Zhao, "Properties of omnidirectional photonic band gaps in fibonacci quasi-periodic one-dimensional superconductor photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 40, 415-431, 2012.
28. Pierret, R. F., Semiconductor Device Fundamentals, Addison-Wesley, Massachusetts, 1996.
29. Hsu, H.-T., M.-H. Lee, T.-J. Yang, Y.-C. Wang, and C.-J. Wu, "A multichanneled filter in a photonic crystal containing coupled defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 379-392, 2012.