This paper investigates Ultra Wide Band (UWB) response of a self-actuated electromagnetic wave shield based on a diode grid both in frequency and time domain. The investigation is first carried out on a shield valid for an incident wave polarized at a specific direction only, then extended to a shield effective for an incident wave polarized at an arbitrary direction. In the frequency domain, two linear analysis methods are used to study the properties of the diode grid over the frequency range from 0.01 to 10 GHz. One method is the microwave network analysis. Another is simulating the diode grid by a linear equivalent circuit instead of a diode. In the time domain, the property of the shield is studied with respect to a broadband impulse, where the diode is described by its SPICE circuit model including the nonlinear property. The results show that the diode grid works well as a self-actuated electromagnetic power selective surface (PSS) in a certain frequency range. The diode grid is strongly frequency dependent. The operating frequency band relies on the reactive elements in the diode grid. In order to extend the operating frequency to a high band, smaller cell size and smaller junction capacitance should be employed.
Qing Huo Liu,
"Ultra Wide Band Response of an Electromagnetic Wave Shield Based on a Diode Grid," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 141, 591-605, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13053004
1. Ulrich, R., "Far-infrared properties of metallic mesh and its complementary structure," Infrared Physics, Vol. 7, 37-55, 1967. doi:10.1016/0020-0891(67)90028-0
2. Christodoulou, C. and J. Kauffman, "On the electromagnetic scattering from infinite rectangular grids with finite conductivity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 2, 144-154, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143803
3. Kikel, A., L. Altgibers, and I. Merritt, "Plasma limiters,", AIAA Paper, AIAA-98-2564, 1998.
4. Mankowski, J. J., D. Hemmert, A. Neuber, and H. Krompholz, "Field enhanced microwave breakdown in a plasma limiter," IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., Vol. 30, No. 1, 102-103, 2002. doi:10.1109/TPS.2002.1003944
5. Yang, G., J. C. Tan, D. Y. Sheng, and Y. C. Yang, "Plasma limiter for protecting against high power microwave," J. Sci. Ind. Res., Vol. 67, 685-687, 2008.
6. Altgilbers, L., S. Balevicius, O. Kiprijanovic, V. Pyragas, E. E. Tornau, A. Jukna, B. Vengalis, and F. Anisimovas, "Fast protector against EMP using electrical field induced resistance change in La Ca MnO thin films," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Pulsed Power Plasma Sci., Vol. 2, 1782-1785, 2001.
7. Barthelemy, A., A. Fert, J. P. Contour, M. Bowen, V. Cros, J. M. DeTeresa, A. Hamzic, J. C. Faini, J. George, J. Grollier, F. Montaigne, F. Pailloux, F. Petroff, and C. Voiulle, "Magnetoresistance and spinelectronics," J. Magn. Magn. Mater., Vol. 242-245, 68-76, 2002. doi:10.1016/S0304-8853(01)01193-3
8. Chang, T. K., R. J. Langley, and E. Parker, "An active square loop frequency selective surface," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 13, No. 10, 387-388, 1993. doi:10.1109/75.242271
9. Sanz-Izquierdo, B., E. A. Parker, J. B. Robertson, and J. C. Batchelor, "Tuning technique for active FSS arrays," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 22, 1107-1109, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.2264
10. Kiani, G. I., K. L. Ford, L. G. Olsson, K. P. Esselle, and C. J. Panagamuwa, "Switchable frequency selective surface for reconfigurable electromagnetic architecture of buildings," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 581-584, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2037772
11. Monni, S., D. J. Bekers, M. van Wanum, R. van Dijk, A. Neto, G. Gerini, and F. E. van Vliet, "Limiting frequency selective surfaces," Proc. 2009 European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 606-609, 2009.
12. Yang, C., P. G. Liu, and X. J. Huang, "A novel method of energy selective surface for adaptive HPM/EMP protection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 112-115, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2243105
13. , , , http://www.wavenology.com/.
14. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2009.
15. , , , HMPS-282x series Datasheet, http://www.avagotech.com/.
16. , , , DMK2308 series Datasheet, http://www. skyworksinc.com.