For the chirp rate and its change rate estimation of cubic phase signal (CPS), conventional algorithms cannot achieve a trade-off between low computational cost and high performance. In this paper, by utilizing the numerical computational method (NCM), effects of Doppler frequency shift are quantified, and the relationships of the optimal signal length with the chirp rate and change rate of chirp rate are obtained. Then a fast parameter estimation algorithm (DMNUFFT), based on dechirp method (DM) and nonuniform fast Fourier transform (NUFFT), is proposed. Compared with existing algorithms, DMNUFFT can achieve high performance with relatively low computational cost. The performance analyses and an application to inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) imaging are shown to validate the effectiveness of DMNUFFT.
1. Peleg, S. and P. Porat, "Linear FM signal parameter estimation from discrete-time observations," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 27, No. 4, 607-616, Jul. 1991.
2. O'Shea, P., "A new technique for instantaneous frequency rate estimation," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 9, No. 8, 251-252, Aug. 2002.
3. O'Shea, P., "A fast algorithm for estimating the parameters of a uadratic FM signal," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 52, No. 2, 385-393, Feb. 2004.
4. Wang, Y. and Y. C. Jiang, "ISAR imaging of a ship target using product high order matched-phase transform," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 6, No. 4, 658-661, Jun. 2009.
5. Wang, Y., "Inverse synthetic aperture radar imaging of manoeuvring target based on range-instantaneous-Doppler and range-instantaneous-chirp-rate algorithms," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 6, No. 9, 921-928, Jul. 2012.
6. Wang, Y. and Y. Jiang, "Inverse synthetic aperture radar imaging of manoeuvring target based on the product generalized cubic phase function," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 8, No. 5, 958-962, Sep. 2011.
7. O'Shea, P., "Improving polynomial phase parameter estimation by using nonuniformly spaced signal sample method," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 60, No. 7, 3405-3414, Jul. 2012.
8. Li, Y., R. Wu, M. Xing, and Z. Bao, "Inverse synthetic aperture radar imaging of ship target with complex motion," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 2, No. 6, 395-403, eb. 2008.
9. Yuan, X., "Direction-finding wideband linear FM sources with triangular arrays," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 48, No. 3, 2416-2425, Jul. 2012.
10. Yuan, X., "Estimating the DOA and the polarization of a polynomial-phase signal using a single polarized vector-sensor," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1270-1282, Mar. 2012.
11. Abatzoglou, T. J., "Fast maximum likelihood joint estimation of frequency and frequency rate," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 22, No. 6, 708-715, Nov. 1986.
12. Wu, L., X. Wei, D. Yang, H. Wang, and X. Li, "ISAR imaging of targets with complex motion based on discrete chirp Fourier transform for cubic chirps," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 50, No. 10, 4201-4212, Oct. 2012.
13. Tao, R., N. Zhang, and Y. Wang, "Analysing and compensating effects of range and Doppler frequency migrations in linear frequency modulation pulse compression radar," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 5, No. 1, 12-22, Jan. 2011.
14. Yasotharan, A. and T. Thayaparan, "Strengths and limitations of the Fourier method for detecting acceleration targets by pulse Doppler radar," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 149, No. 2, 83-88, Apr. 2002.
15. Peng, X., W. Tan, Y. Wang, W. Hong, and Y. Wu, "Convolution back-projection imaging algorithm for downward-looking sparse linear array three dimensional synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 287-313, 2012.
16. Liu, Q., "An accurate algorithm for nonuniform fast Fourier transforms (NUFFT's)," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 18-20, Jan. 1998.
17. Zhang, Y., W. Zhai, X. Zhang, X. Shi, X. Gu, and Y. Deng, "Ground moving train imaging by KU-band radar with two receiving channels," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 493-512, 2012.
18. Park, S. H., J. I. Park, and K. T. Kim, "Motion compensation for squint mode spotlight SAR imaging using efficient 2D interpolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 503-518, 2012.
19. Li, Y., M. Xing, J. Su, Y. Quan, and Z. Bao, "A new algorithm of ISAR imaging for maneuvering targets with low SNR," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 49, No. 1, 543-557, Nov. 2013.
20. Park, S. H., J. H. Lee, and K. T. Kim, "Performance analysis of the scenario-based construction method for real target ISAR recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 137-151, 2012.
21. Park, J. H. and N. H. Myung, "Enhanced and efficient ISAR imaging focusing using the discrete gabor representation in an oversampling scheme," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 227-244, 2013.
22. Golden, S. and B. Friedlander, "Estimation and statistical analysis of exponential polynomial signals," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 46, No. 11, 3127-3130, Nov. 1998.