In this paper, a novel dual-band RF-harvesting RF-DC converter with a frequency limited impedance matching network (M/N) is proposed. The proposed RF-DC converter consists of a dual-band impedance matching network, a rectifier circuit with a villard structure, a wideband harmonic suppression low-pass filter (LPF), and a termination load. The proposed dual-band M/N can match two receiving band signals and suppress the out-of-band signals effectively, so the back-scattered nonlinear frequency components from the nonlinear rectifying diodes to the antenna can be blocked. The fabricated circuit provides the maximum RF-DC conversion efficiency of 73.76% and output voltage of 7.09 V at 881 MHz and 69.05% with 6.86 V at 2.4 GHz with an individual input signal power of 22 dBm. Moreover, the conversion efficiency of 77.13% and output voltage of 7.25 V are obtained when two RF waves with input dual-band signal power of 22 dBm are fed simultaneously.
1. Marincic, A. S., "Nikola tesla and the wireless transmission of energy," IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 101, No. 10, 4064-4068, Oct. 1982.
2. Ali, M., G. Yang, and R. Dougal, "A new circularly polarized rectenna for wireless power transmission and data communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 205-208, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.851004
3. Monti, G., F. Congedo, D. De Donno, and L. Tarricone, "Monopole-based rectenna for microwave energy harvesting of UHF RFID systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 31, 109-121, 2012.
4. Huang, W., B. Zhang, X. Chen, K. Huang, and C. Liu, "Study on an S-band rectenna arrays for wireless microwave power transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 747-758, 2013.
5. Park, J. Y., S. M. Han, and T. Itoh, "A rectenna design with harmonic-rejecting circular-sector antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 52-54, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.827889
6. Ren, Y. J. and K. Chang, "New 5.8-GHz circularly polarized etrodirective rectenna arrays for wireless power transmission," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2970-2976, Jul. 2006.
7. Olgum, U., C. C. Chen, and J. L. Volakis, "Investigation of rectenna array configurations for enhanced RF power harvesting," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 262-265, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2136371
8. Shinohara, N. and H. Matsumoto, "Experimental study of large rectenna array for microwave energy transmission," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 3, 261-268, Mar. 1998. doi:10.1109/22.661713
9. Chaudhary, G., P. Kim, Y. Jeong, and J. H. Yoon, "Design of high efficiency RF-DC conversion circuit using novel termination networks for RF energy harvesting system," Microwave Opt. Techno. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 10, 2330-2335, Oct. 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.27087
10. Gao, Y. Y., X. X. Yang, C. Jiang, and J. Y. Zhou, "A circularly polarized rectenna with low profile for wireless power transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 41-49, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL09111805
11. Shao, X., B. Li, N. Shahshahan, N. Goldsman, T. S. Salter, and G. M. Metze, "A planar dual-band antenna design for RF energy harvesting applications," International Semicon. Device Research Symposium, 1-2, 2011.
12. Li, B., X. Shao, N. Shahshahn, N. Goldsman, T. S. Salter, and G. M. Metze, "Antenna-coupled dual band RF energy harvester design," International Semicon. Device Research Symposium (Student Paper), 1-2, 2011. doi:10.1889/1.3621270
13. Suh, Y. H. and K. Chang, "A high-efficiency dual-frequency rectenna for 2.45- and 5.8-GHz wireless power transmission," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 7, 1784-1789, Jul. 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.800430
15. Ren, Y. J., M. F. Farooqui, and K. Chang, "A compact dual-frequency rectifying antenna with high-orders harmonic-rejection," IEEE Trans. Anten. Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 2110-2113, Jul. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.900275
16. Pavone, D., A. Buonanno, M. D'Urso, and F. Corte, "Design considerations for radio frequency energy harvesting devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 31, 19-35, 2012.
17. Chang, S. H., W. J. Liao, K. W. Peng, and C. Y. Hsieh, "A Franklin array antenna for wireless charging applications," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 4, 340-344, 2010. doi:10.2529/PIERS090904050641
18. Zhang, J. W., X. Y. Zhang, Z. L. Chen, K. Y. See, C. M. Tan, and S. S. Chen, "On-chip RF energy harvesting circuit for image sensor," IEEE 13th Int. Sympo. Integ. Circuit, 420-423, 2011.
19. Lin, P. M. and L. O. Chua, "Topological generation and analysis of voltage multiplier circuits," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems, Vol. 24, No. 10, 517-530, Oct. 1977. doi:10.1109/TCS.1977.1084273
20. Park, S., H. Choi, and Y. Jeong, "Microwave group delay time adjuster using parallel resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 17, No. 2, 109-111, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.890331
21. Mbombolo, S. E. F. and C. W. Park, "An improved detector topology for a rectenna," IEEE Microwave Workshop Series Innovative Wireless Power Transmission, 23-26, 2011.
22. Riviere, S., F. Alicalapa, A. Douyere, and J. D. Lan Sun Luk, "A compact rectenna device at low power level," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 16, 137-146, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10071604
23. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Edition, 415-416, Wiley, New York, 2012.