This work presents a novel comparative modeling scheme for single-ended (SE) through-silicon vias (TSVs) in GSG and GS configurations. Physical scalable models based on the equations developed herein indicate that the use of two symmetric ground TSVs in GSG configuration relatively increases the parasitic capacitance and conductance in the silicon substrate. However, this increase in the parasitic capacitance requires that the parasitic inductance of SE TSV is reduced to maintain the same phase velocity in silicon. According to the modeling results, the GSG configuration has a larger insertion loss than that of the GS configuration because the former has a higher substrate conductance. Nevertheless, when measured using RF coaxial probes, the GSG configuration exhibits a larger measurement bandwidth than the GS configuration. Finally, with the assistance of a double-sided probing system, wideband S-parameter measurement can validate the established equivalent-circuit model of SE TSV in GSG configuration up to V-band frequencies.
"Comparative Modeling of Single-Ended through
-Silicon Vias in GS and GSG Configurations Up to V-Band Frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 143, 559-574, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13101706
1. Al-sarawi, S. F., D. Abbott, and P. D. Franzon, "A review of 3-D packaging technology," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology, Part B: Advanced Packaging , Vol. 21, No. 1, 2-1, Feb. 1998. doi:10.1109/96.659500
2. Kim, D. H., K. Athikulwongse, and S. K. Lim, "A study of through-silicon-via impact on the 3D stacked IC layout," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer-Aided Design, 674-680, Nov. 2009.
3. Zhao, W.-S., X.-P. Wang, and W.-Y. Yin, "Electrothermal effects in high density through silicon via (TSV) arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 223-242, 2011.
4. Liu, E.-X., E.-P. Li, W.-B. Ewe, H. M. Lee, T. G. Lim, and S. Gao, "Compact wideband equivalent-circuit model for electrical modeling of through-silicon via," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 6, 1454-1460, Jun. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2116039
5. Kim, J., J. S. Pak, J. Cho, E. Song, J. Cho, H. Kim, T. Song, J. Lee, H. Lee, K. Park, S. Yang, M.-S. Suh, K.-Y. Byun, and J. Kim, "High-frequency scalable electrical model and analysis of a through silicon via (TSV) ," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 1, No. 2, 181-195, Feb. 2011. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2010.2101910
6. Cheng, T.-Y., C.-D. Wang, Y.-P. Chiou, and T.-L, Wu, "A new model for through-silicon vias on 3-D IC using conformal mapping method," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 6, 303-305, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2195776
7. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Closed form solutions for nonuniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 243-258, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07111502
8. Lamy, Y. P. R., K. B. Jinesh, F. Roozeboom, D. J. Gravvesteijn, Lamy, Y. P. R., K. B. Jinesh, F. Roozeboom, and D. J. Gravvesteijn, "RF characterization and analytical modelling of through silicon vias and coplanar waveguides for 3D integration ," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 33, No. 4, 1072-1079, Nov. 2010. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2010.2046166
9. Lim, T. G., Y. M. Khoo, C. S. Selvanayagam, D. S. W. Ho, R. Li, X. Zhang, G. Shan, and X. Y. Zhong, "Through silicon via interposer for millimetre wave applications," Proc. 61st Electron. Proc. 61st Electron., 577-582, 2011.
10. Kim, H., J. Cho, M. Kim, K. Kim, J. Lee, H. Lee, K. Park, K. Choi, H.-C. Bae, J. Kim, and J. Kim, "Measurement and analysis of a high-speed TSV channel," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 2, No. 10, 1672-1685, Oct. 2012. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2012.2207900
11. Jang, D. M., C. Ryu, K. Y. Lee, B. H. Cho, J. Kim, T. S. Oh, W. J. Lee, and J. Yu, "Development and evaluation of 3-D SiP with vertically interconnected through silicon vias (TSV)," Proc. 57th Electron. Comp. Tech. Conf., 847-852, 2007.
12. Fuchs, C., J. Charbonnier, S. Cheramy, L. Cadix, D. Henry, P. Chausse, O. Hajji, A. Farcy, G. Garnier, C. Brunet-Manquat, J. Diaz, and R. Anci, "Process and RF modelling of TSV last approach for 3D RF interposer," Proc. IEEE Int. Interconnect Tech. Conf. & Mat. for Adv. Metal., 1-3, 2011.
13. Fourneaud, L., T. Lacrevaz, J. Charbonnier, C. Fuchs, A. Farcy, C. Bermond, E. Eid, J. Roullard, and B. Flechet, "Extraction of equivalent high frequency models for TSV and RDL interconnects embedded in stacks of the 3D integration technology ," IEEE Workshop on Signal Propagation on Interconnects, 61-64, May 2011.
14. Lu, K.-C., T.-S. Horng, H.-H. Li, K.-C. Fan, T.-Y. Huang, and C.-H. Lin, "Scalable modeling and wideband measurement techniques for a signal TSV surrounded by multiple ground TSVs for RF/high-speed applications ," Proc. 62nd Electron. Comp. Tech. Conf., 1023-1026, 2012.
15. Lu, K.-C. and T.-S. Horng, "Comparative modeling study of single-ended through-silicon via between the G-S and G-S-G configuration ," IEEE Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 2013.
16. Krupka, J., J. Breeze, A. Centeno, N. Alford, T. Clausen, and L. Jensen, "Measurements of permittivity, dielectric loss tangent, and resistivity of float-zone silicon at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3995-4001, Nov. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.883655
17. Wartenberg, S. A., "Selected topics in RF coplanar probing," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 4, 1413-1421, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809184
18. Lu, K.-C., Y.-C. Lin, T.-S. Horng, S.-M. Wu, C.-C. Wang, C.-T. Chiu, and C.-P. Hung, "Vertical interconnect measurement techniques based on double-sided probing system and short-open-load-reciprocal calibration," roc. 61th Electron. Comp. Tech. Conf., 2130-2133, 2011.
19. Fenero, A. and U. Pisani, "Two-port network analyzer calibration using an unknown `thru'," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 2, No. 12, 505-507, Dec. 1992. doi:10.1109/75.173410
20. Basu, L. Hayden and L. Hayden, "An SOLR calibration for accurate measurement of orthogonal on-wafer DUTs," IEEE Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1335-1338, 1997.
21. Wartenberg, S. A., "Selected topics in RF coplanar probing," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 591, No. 4, 1413-1421, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809184