A double-layered Vivaldi antenna enclosed by a metallic cylindrical cavity is investigated. The antenna is correlated to the same-size circular horn antenna to exploit the equivalent modal distribution of the Vivaldi-cavity antenna. It is shown that the TM11 and TE11 are the dominant modes and the proposed antenna operates similar to a dual-mode conical horn. The antenna is fabricated and successfully tested. The radiation characteristics, mutual coupling, as well as cross-polarization level are compared to a similarly sized Vivaldi without any metallic enclosure.
"Analysis of a Double-Layered Vivaldi Antenna Inside a Metallic Enclosure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 143, 503-518, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13102105
1. Gibson, P., "The Vivaldi aerial," 9th European Microwave Conference, 101-105, 1979.
2. Lewis, L., M. Fassett, and J. Hunt, "A broadband stripline array element," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium , Vol. 12, 335-337, 1974.
3. Yngvesson, K., D. Schaubert, T. Korzeniowski, E. Kollberg, T. Thungren, and J. A. Johansson, "Endfire tapered slot antennas on dielectric substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1392-1400, Dec. 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143542
4. Gazit, E., "Improved design of the Vivaldi antenna," IEE Proceedings H --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 135, No. 2, 89-92, Apr. 1988. doi:10.1049/ip-h-2.1988.0020
5. Mehdipour, A., K. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Complete dispersion analysis of Vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072904
6. Lai, A., A. Sinopoli, and W. Burnside, "A novel antenna for ultra-wide-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 7, 755-760, 1992. doi:10.1109/8.155739
7. Bai, J., S. Shi, and D. Prather, "Modified compact antipodal Vi-valdi antenna for 4--50 GHz UWB application," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1051-1057, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2113970
8. Simons, R. and R. Lee, "On-wafer characterization of millimeter-wave antennas for wireless applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 1, 92-96, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.740086
9. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact Vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08040601
10. Woten, D., M. Hajihashemi, A. Hassan, and M. El-Shenawee, "Experimental microwave validation of level set reconstruction algorithm ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 230-233, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2036186
11. Maklad, B., C. Curtis, E. C. Fear, and G. G. Messier, "Neighborhood-based algorithm to facilitate the reduction of skin reactions in radar-based microwave imaging ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 39, 115-139, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERB11122208
12. Ostadrahimi, M., S. Noghanian, L. Shafai, A. Zakaria, C. Kaye, and J. LoVetri, "Investigating a double layer Vivaldi antenna design for fixed array eld measurement," International Journal of Ultra Wideband Communications and Systems, Vol. 1, No. 4, 282-290, 2010. doi:10.1504/IJUWBCS.2010.034309
13. Gilmore, C., A. Zakaria, P. Mojabi, M. Ostadrahimi, S. Pistorius, and J. Lo Vetri, "The University of Manitoba microwave imaging repository: A two-dimensional microwave scattering database for testing inversion and calibration algorithms ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 5, 126-133, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1109/MAP.2011.6138442
14. Ostadrahimi, M., P. Mojabi, S. Noghanian, L. Shafai, S. Pistorius, and J. LoVetri, "A novel microwave tomography system based on the scattering probe technique ," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 61, No. 2, 379-390, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TIM.2011.2161931
15. Ostadrahimi, M., P. Mojabi, C. Gilmore, A. Zakaria, S. Noghanian, S. Pistorius, and J. LoVetri, "Analysis of incident field modeling and incident/scattered field calibration techniques in microwave tomography," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 900-903, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2166849
16. Ostadrahimi, M., A. Zakaria, J. LoVetri, and L. Shafai, "A near-field dual polarized TE-TM microwave imaging system," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 3, 1376-1384, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2237181
17. Yang, Y., C. Zhang, and A. Fathy, "Development and implementation of ultra-wideband see-through-wall imaging system based on sampling oscilloscope," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 465-468, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2000829
18. Qu, S., J. Li, Q. Xue, and C. Chan, "Wideband cavity-backed bowtie antenna with pattern improvement," EEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3850-3854, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007395
19. Li, R., B. Pan, A. Traille, J. Papapolymerou, J. Laskar, and M. Tentzeris, "Development of a cavity-backed broadband circularly polarized slot/strip loop antenna with a simple feeding structure ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 312-318, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.915412
20. Ozdemir, T., J. Volakis, and M. Nurnberger, "Analysis of thin multioctave cavity-backed slot spiral antennas," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 146, No. 6, 447-447, 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990429