A compact and low-correlation multiple input multiple output antenna system covering 1710-2690 MHz band for wireless communication standards is proposed. It comprises two identical elements with coupled feeding plate and radiating strip, and each element has a volume of 24.5×15×1.2mm3. Simulated and measured results show that it has good potentials for high-band-only mobile phone. 45% bandwidth (based on S11 < -6 dB), -20 dB isolation, over 70% efficiency and less than 0.15 correlation coefficient are achieved in the frequency ranging from 1710 MHz to 2690 MHz. Several key parameters are also discussed in this study to better understand the antenna principles.
1. Godara, L. C., " Handbook of Antenna in Wireless Communications," CRC Press, 2001.
2. Sesia, S., I. Toufik, and M. Baker, LTE, the UMTS Long Term Evolution: From Theory to Practice, John Wiley, New York, 2009.
3. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 6, No. 3, 311-335, 1998. doi:10.1023/A:1008889222784
4. Krairiksh, M., P. Keowsawat, C. Phongcharoenpanich, and S. Kosulvit, "Two-probe excited circular ring antenna for MIMO application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 417-431, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09091607
5. Yu, X. H., L.Wang, H.-G.Wang, X.Wu, and Y.-H. Shang, "A novel multiport matching method for maximum capacity of an indoor MIMO system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 67-84, 2012.
6. Sharawi, M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "Isolation improvement in a dual-band dual-element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013.
7. Bhatti, R. A., S. Yi, and S. O. Park, "Compact antenna array with port decoupling for LTE-standardized mobile phones," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat. Lett., Vol. 8, 1430-1433, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2040677
8. Kim, J., M. Han, C. Lee, and J. Choi, "Dual band MIMO antenna using a decoupling network for WLAN application," ICACT2011, 624-627, 2011.
9. Yu, Y., G. Kim, J. Ji, and W. Seong, "A compact hybrid internal MIMO antenna for LTE application," EuCAP2010, , 1-2, 2010.
10. Gong, Q., Y.-C. Jiao, and S.-X. Gong, "Compact MIMO antennas using a ring hybrid for WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2--3, 431-441, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794362939
11. Park, G., M. Kim, T. Yang, J. Byun, and A. S. Kim, "The compact quad-band mobile handset antenna for the LTE700 MIMO application," APSURSI'09, 1-4, 2009.
12. Ge, Y., K. P. Esselle, and T. S. Bird, "Compact diversity antenna for wireless devices," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 2, 52-53, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20056633
13. Wang, X., Z. Du, and K. Gong, "A compact dual-element antenna array for adaptive MIMO system," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 2, 348-351, 200. doi:10.1002/mop.24044
14. Shin, Y. S. and S. O. Park, "spatial diversity antenna for WLAN application," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 6, 1290-1294, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22414
15. Hong, S. J., K. H. Chung, J. W. Lee, S. W. Jung, S. S. Lee, and J. H. Choi, "Design of a diversity antenna with stubs for UWB applications," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1352-1356, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23389
16. Chou, H.-T., H.-C. Cheng, H.-T. Hsu, and L.-R. Kuo, "Investigations of isolation improvement techniques for multiple input multiple output (MIMO) WLAN portable terminal applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 349-366, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08090905
17. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron Lett., Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
18. Karaboikis, M., C. Soras, G. Tsachtsiris, and V. Makios, "Compact dual-printed inverted-F antenn diversity systems for portable wireless devices," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 3, No. 1, 9-14, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.825106