Minimum side-zone power to center-zone power ratio (MSCR) method is presented to estimate array errors of azimuth multichannel synthetic aperture radar (SAR). Spaceborne azimuth multichannel SAR is one of the most promising candidates for achieving high-resolution wide-swath imaging. However, array errors brought in by instrument influences and aperture position errors need to be compensated. MSCR method is designed to obtain phase error estimates by minimizing side-zone power to center-zone power ratio, where the side-zone and the center-zone indicate the intervals far from and around Doppler centroid respectively. The proposed method achieves significantly improved performance on phase error estimation especially when signal to noise ratio is low. Experiment results confirm the validity and solidity of the method.
1. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07110101
2. An, D. X., Z. M. Zhou, X. T. Huang, and T. Jin, "A novel imaging approach for high resolution squinted spotlight SAR based on the deramping-based technique and azimuth NLCS principle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 485-508, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112110
3. Xu, H., J. Gao, and J. Li, "A variable PRF imaging method for high squint diving SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 215-229, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12112304
4. Chen, J., J. Gao, Y. Zhu, W. Yang, and P. Wang, "A novel image formation algorithm for high-resolution wide-swath spaceborne SAR using compressed sensing on azimuth displacement phase center antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 527-543, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11121101
5. Huang, Y., P. V. Brennan, D. Patrick, I. Weller, P. Roberts, and K. Hughes, "FMCW based MIMO imaging radar for maritime navigation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 327-342, 2011.
6. Currie, A. and M. A. Brown, "Wide-swath SAR," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. --- Radar, Sonar, Navigat., Vol. 139, No. 2, 122-135, 1992.
7. Krieger, G., N. Gebert, and A. Moreira, "Multidimensional waveform encoding: A new digital beamforming technique for radar remote sensing," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 1, 31-46, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.905974
8. Bordoni, F., M. Younis, and G. Krieger, "Ambiguity suppression by azimuth phase coding in multichannel SAR systems," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 50, No. 2, 617-629, Feb. 2012. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2011.2161672
9. Wang, T. and Z. Bao, "Improving the image quality of spaceborne multiple-aperture SAR under minimization of sidelobe clutter and noise," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 3, No. 3, 387-401, Jul. 2006.
10. Gebert, N., "Multi-channel azimuth processing for high-resolution wideswath,", Ph.D. Dissertation, IHE, University of Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany, 2009.
11. Li, Z., Z. Bao, H.Wang, and G. Liao, "Performance improvement for constellation SAR using signal processing techniques," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 42, No. 2, 436-452, Apr. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAES.2006.1642562
12. Yang, T., Z. Li, Y. Liu, and Z. Bao, "Channel error estimation methods for multichannel SAR systems in azimuth," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 10, No. 3, 548-552, May 2013. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2012.2212873
13. Liu, Y., Z. Li, T. Yang, and Z. Bao, "An adaptively weighted least square estimation method of channel mismatches in phase for multichannel SAR systems in azimuth," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 11, No. 2, 439-443, Feb. 2014. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2013.2264771
14. Oppenheim, A. V., R. W. Schafer, and J. R. Buck, Discrete-time Processing, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 1999.
15. Zhang, X. D., Matrix Analysis and Applications, Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, 2004.