The paper presents a methodology to achieve efficient low-profile electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) antennas based on thick EBG unit cells. The EBG cells are composed of thick metal patches separated by narrow high aspect ratio (HAR) gaps, and positioned on a PEC-backed substrate. This approach yields new miniaturized EBG cells with considerably reduced electrical size. The miniaturized cells are employed to demonstrate new compact self-excited EBG resonator antennas with considerably reduced operating frequencies. Full-wave simulations and experimental results demonstrate the design approach.
1. Collins, S. and Y. M. M. Antar, "Antenna size reduction using Yagi-Uda loops and shorted circular patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 3, 855-864, Mar. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.820974
2. Skrivervik, A. K., J. F. Zurcher, O. Staub, and J. R. Mosig, "PCS antenna design: The challenge of miniaturization," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 43, No. 4, 12-27, Aug. 2001. doi:10.1109/74.951556
3. Mosallaei, H. and K. Sarabandi, "Antenna miniaturization and bandwidth enhancement using a reactive impedance substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2403-2414, Sep. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834135
4. Hosseini, M., M. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "Design of a non-uniform high impedance surface for a low profile antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1455-1464, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274291
5. Hosseini, M. and D. M. Klymyshyn, "Radiation properties of EBG textured tall transmission lines and applications: A low profile self-excited EBG resonator antenna," IEEE Antenn. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 276-280, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2188090
6. Alphones, A. and J. Cheng, "Compact interdigitated microstrip bandpass filter with meandered EBGs," European Microwave Conference, 439-443, Singapore, 2009.
7. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817559
8. Klymyshyn, D. M., M. BÄorner, D. Haluzan, E. Gono Santosa, M. Schaffer, S. Achenbach, and J. Mohr, "Vertical high-Q RF-MEMS devices for reactive lumped element circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 11, 2976-2986, Nov. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2079092
9. Jahani, S., J. Rashed-Mohassel, and M. Shahabadi, "Miniaturization of circular patch antennas using MNG metamaterials," IEEE Antenn. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1194-1196, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2098472
10. Sable, N., S. Gharat, J. Bhosale, S. Khobragade, and V. R. Anitha, "Study of Koch monopole fractal antenna," General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, URSI, 1-4, Istanbul, Turkey, Aug. 2011.
11. Toyota, Y., K. Iokibe, R. Koga, A. E. Engin, T. H. Kim, and M. Swaminathan, "Miniaturization of electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structures with high-permeability magnetic metal sheet," IEEE Symp. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 1-5, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Jul. 2007.
12. Chi, P. L., R. Waterhouse, and T. Itoh, "Antenna miniaturization using slow wave enhancement factor from loaded transmission line models," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 1, 48-57, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090452
13. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "Compact angularly stable AMCs utilizing skewed cross-shaped FSSs," Microw Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 4, 781-786, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22280
14. Lamminen, A. E. I., A. R. Vimpari, and J. Saily, "UC-EBG on LTCC for 60-GHz frequency band antenna application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2904-2912, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029311
15. Sievenpiper, D. F., "High-impedance Electromagnetic Surfaces,", PhD thesis, Univ. Calif., LA, USA, 1999.
16. Lin, B.-Q., J. Liang, Y.-S. Zeng, H.-M. Zhang, "A novel compact and wide-band uni-planar EBG structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 1, 37-43, 2008.
17. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A CPS leaky-wave antenna with reduced beam squinting using NRI-TL metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 708-721, Mar. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.916965
18. Coulombe, M., S. Farzaneh Koodiani, and C. Caloz, "Compact elongated mushroom (EM)-EBG structure for enhancement of patch antenna array performances," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1076-1086, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2041152
19. Hosseini, M. and D. M. Klymyshyn, "A low profile efficient leaky-wave antenna composed of high aspect ratio EBG unit cells," IEEE Radio and Wireless Symp., 229-231, Austin, TX, USA, Jan. 20-23, 2013.
29. Hosseini, M. and M. Hakkak, "Characteristics estimation for Jerusalem cross based artificial magnetic conductors," IEEE Antenn. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 58-61, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.917605
21. Merli, F., L. Bolomey, J. Zurcher, G. Corradini, E. Meurville, and A. K. Skrivervik, "Design, realization and measurements of a miniature antenna for implantable wireless communication systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 10, 3544-3555, Oct. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2163763
22. Pozar, D. M. and B. Kaufman, "Comparison of three methods for the measurement of printed antenna efficiency," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 36, No. 1, 136-139, Jan. 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1084