We propose to analyze the aperture and ITO layer presence of a modified transverse electromagnetic (TEM) cell. This TEM cell can be used to study the potential effects of microwave electromagnetic fields on biological cells. This modified delivery device allows realtime observation of biological cells during exposure. Microscopic observation is achieved through an aperture in the lower wall of the TEM cell that is sealed with a 700-nm film of the transparent conducting material Indium tin oxide (ITO). To determine the device efficiency, numerical and experimental electromagnetic dosimetry was conducted. For assessing the effect of the aperture on the specific absorption rate (SAR) in the exposed sample, a plastic Petri dish containing cell culture medium, full-wave 3-D electromagnetic simulations and temperature measurements were performed. For 1-W input power, the SAR values obtained at 1.8 GHz in the sample exposed in the TEM cell with the sealed or non-sealed aperture of 20-mm diameter were 1.1 W/kg and 23.6 W/kg, respectively. An excellent homogeneity of the SAR distribution was achieved when the aperture was sealed with the ITO layer. The performance of the delivery system was confirmed by microwave exposure and simultaneous observation of living cells.
Sylvia M. Bardet,
Rodney P. O'Connor,
"Electromagnetic Analysis of an Aperture Modified TEM Cell Including an ITO Layer for Real-Time Observation of Biological Cells Exposed to Microwaves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 149, 193-204, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14053108
1. Lin, J. C., "Studies on microwaves in medicine and biology: From snails to humans," Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 25, 146-159, 2004. doi:10.1002/bem.20004
2. Valberg, P. A., T. E. van Deventer, and M. H. Repacholi, "Workgroup report: Base stations and wireless networks-radiofrequency (RF) exposures and health consequences," Environmental Health Perspectives, Vol. 115, 416-424, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1289/ehp.9633
3. Mason, W. T., Fluorescent and Luminescent Probes for Biological Activity: A Practical Guide to Technology for Quantitative Real-time Analysis, 2nd Edition, Academic Press, New York, 1999.
4. Paffi, A., F. Apollonio, G. A. Lovisolo, C. Marino, R. Pinto, M. Repacholi, et al. "Considerations for developing an RF exposure system: A review for in vitro biological experiments," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, 2702-2714, Oct. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2065351
5. Paffi, A., C. Merla, R. Pinto, G. A. Lovisolo, M. Liberti, C. Marino, et al. "Microwave exposure systems for in vivo biological experiments: A systematic review," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, 1980-1983, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2246183
6. Balzano, Q., C. K. Chou, R. Cicchetti, A. Faraone, and R. Y. S. Tay, "An efficient RF exposure system with precise whole-body average SAR determination for in vivo animal studies at 900 MHz," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, 2040-2049, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.884193
7. Koester, P., J. Sakowski, W. Baumann, H.-W. Glock, and J. Gimsa, "A new exposure system for the in vitro detection of GHz field effects on neuronal networks," Bioelectrochemistry, Vol. 70, 104-114, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.bioelechem.2006.03.039
8. Merla, C., N. Ticaud, D. Arnaud-Cormos, B. Veyret, and P. Leveque, "Real-time RF exposure setup based on a multiple electrode array (MEA) for electrophysiological recording of neuronal networks," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, 755-762, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2100404
9. Moretti, D., A. Garenne, E. Haro, F. Poulletier de Gannes, I. Lagroye, P. Leveque, et al. "In-vitro exposure of neuronal networks to the GSM-1800 signal," Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 34, 571-578, Dec. 2013. doi:10.1002/bem.21805
10. Liberti, M., F. Apollonio, A. Paffi, M. Pellegrino, and G. D’Inzeo, "A coplanar-waveguide system for cells exposure during electrophysiological recordings," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, 2521-2528, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.837155
11. Paffi, A., M. Pellegrino, R. Beccherelli, F. Apollonio, M. Liberti, D. Platano, et al. "A realtime exposure system for electrophysiological recording in brain slices," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, 2463-2471, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.908657
12. Paffi, A., M. Liberti, F. Fratta, F. Apollonio, C. Merla, R. Pinto, et al. "A TEM cell system for in vivo exposure at 2.45GHz," 2012 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1099-1101, 2012. doi:10.1109/EuCAP.2012.6206470
13. Crawford, M. L., "Generation of standard EM fields using TEM transmission cells," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 16, 189-195, 1974. doi:10.1109/TEMC.1974.303364
14. O’Connor, R. P., S. D. Madison, P. Leveque, H. L. Roderick, and M. D. Bootman, "Exposure to GSM RF fields does not affect calcium homeostasis in human endothelial cells, rat pheocromocytoma cells or rat hippocampal neurons," Plos One, Vol. 5, 16, Jul. 2010.
15. Zhao, J. X., H. M. Lu, and J. Deng, "Dosimetry and temperature evaluations of a 1800MHz TEM cell for in vitro exposure with standing waves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 487-510, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11091204
16. Iftode, C. and S. Miclaus, "Design and validation of a TEM cell used for radiofrequency dosimetric studies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 369-388, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12081306
17. Kohler, S., R. P. O’Connor, V. Thi Dan Thao, P. Leveque, and D. Arnaud-Cormos, "Experimental microdosimetry techniques for biological cells exposed to nanosecond pulsed electric fields using microfluorimetry," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, 2015-2022, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2252917
18. Yasin, T., R. Baktur, and C. Furse, "A comparative study on two types of transparent patch antennas," 2011 XXXth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium,, 1-4, 2011. doi:10.1109/URSIGASS.2011.6050441
19. Sato, H., H. Fujikake, T. Murashige, H. Kikuchi, T. Kurita, and F. Sato, "A4-sized flexible ferroelectric liquid-crystal displays with micro color filters," Journal of the Society for Information Display, Vol. 13, 461-468, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1889/1.1973983
20. Beaupre, S., J. Dumas, and M. Leclerc, "Toward the development of new textile/plastic electrochromic cells using triphenylamine-based copolymers," Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 18, 4011-4018, Aug. 2006. doi:10.1021/cm060407o
21. Zhao, L., Z. B. Zhou, H. Peng, and R. Q. Cui, "Indium tin oxide thin films by bias magnetron RF sputtering for heterojunction solar cells application," Applied Surface Science, Vol. 252, 385-392, Oct. 2005. doi:10.1016/j.apsusc.2005.01.033
22. Bourry, M., M. Sarret, and M. Drissi, "Novel ITO alloy for microwave and optical applications," 48th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 1, 615-618, 2005.
23. Lee, C.-T., C.-M. Lee, and C.-H. Luo, "The transparent monopole antenna for WCDMA and WLAN," IEEE Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference, WAMICON’ 06, 1-3, 2006.
24. Pakorn, P., S. Porntheeraphat, A. Klamchuen, and J. Nukeaw, "ITO thin films prepared by gas-timing RF magnetron sputtering for transparent flexible antenna," 2nd IEEE International Conference on Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems, NEMS’ 07, 647-650, 2007.
25. Colombel, F., X. Castel, M. Himdi, G. Legeay, S. Vigneron, and E. M. Cruz, "Ultrathin metal layer, ITO film and ITO/Cu/ITO multilayer towards transparent antenna," IET Science Measurement & Technology, Vol. 3, 229-234, May 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-smt:20080060
26. Neveu, N., M. Garcia, J. Casana, R. Dettloff, D. R. Jackson, and C. Ji, "Transparent microstrip antennas for CubeSat applications," 2013 IEEE International Conference on Wireless for Space and Extreme Environments (WiSEE), 1-4, 2013. doi:10.1109/WiSEE.2013.6737542
27. Moisescu, M. G., P. Leveque, J.-R. Bertrand, E. Kovacs, and L. M. Mir, "Microscopic observation of living cells during their exposure to modulated electromagnetic fields," 19th Biannual International Symposium on Bioelectrochemistry and Bioenergetics, 9-15, Toulouse, France, 2007.
28. Kohler, S., N. Ticaud, M.-M. Iordache, M. G. Moisescu, T. Savopol, P. Leveque, and D. Arnaud-Cormos, "Setup for simultaneous microwave heating and real-time spectrofluorometric measurements in biological systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 229-240, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER13110703
29. Kohler, S., P. Jarrige, N. Ticaud, R. P. O’Connor, L. Duvillaret, G. Gaborit, et al. "Simultaneous high intensity ultrashort pulsed electric field and temperature measurements using a unique electrooptic probe," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 22, 153-155, 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2185840
30. Kohler, S., T. D. T. Vu, P. T. Vernier, P. Leveque, and D. Arnaud-Cormos, "Characterization of a TEM cell-based setup for the exposure of biological cell suspensions to high-intensity nanosecond pulsed electric fields (nsPEFs)," 2012 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1-3, Montr´eal, Canada, 2012.
31. Granqvist, C. G. and A. Hultaker, "Transparent and conducting ITO films: New developments and applications," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 411, 1-5, May 2002. doi:10.1016/S0040-6090(02)00163-3
32. Yasin, T., R. Baktur, and C. Furse, "A study on the efficiency of transparent patch antennas designed from conductive oxide films," 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 3078-3080, 2011.
33. Kuster, N. and F. Schonborn, "Recommended minimal requirements and development guidelines for exposure setups of bio-experiments addressing the health risk concern of wireless communications," Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 21, 508-514, 2000. doi:10.1002/1521-186X(200010)21:7<508::AID-BEM4>3.0.CO;2-F
34. Yang, H. and S. Lee, "A variational calculation for higher order mode cutoff frequencies of a symmetrical strip line by conformal mapping," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 32, 449-452, Mar. 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10206
35. Tsitsos, S., A. A. P. Gibson, and A. H. I. McCormick, "Higher-order modes in coupled striplines — Prediction and measurement," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, 2071-2077, Nov. 1994. doi:10.1109/22.330121