In this work, sensor abilities of a chiral metamaterial based on split ring resonators with double splits (SRDS) are demonstrated both theoretically and experimentally in X band range. This study is based on transmission measurements and simulations monitoring the resonance frequency changes with respect to the thickness of the sensing layer and permittivity values. Experimental and simulated results show that the resonance frequency of the chiral metamaterial based SRDS sensor is linearly related to permittivity and the thickness of the sensor layer which creates a suitable approach for sensing environment and organic parameters. When the sensor layer filled with the related material, changes in the tissue temperature, sand humidity and calcium chloride density lead to resonance frequency changes. The physical mechanisms are explained by using both equivalent circuit model and the fundamental sensitivity theorem of chiral sensors. This is the first study as a sensing mechanism based on the chiral metamaterials in X band range.
"Chiral Metamaterial Based Multifunctional Sensor Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 149, 55-67, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14070111
2. Pendry, J. B., "Electromagnetic materials enter the negative age," Physics World, Vol. 14, No. 9, 47-51, 2001.
3. Yang, J. J., M. Huangand, and J. Sun, "Double negative metamaterial sensor based on micro ring resonator," IEEE Sensor, Vol. 11, 2254-2259, 2011. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2011.2132798
4. Yang, J., M. Huang, Y. Lan, and Y. Li, "Microwave sensor based on a single stereo-complementary asymmetric split resonator," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 22, 545-551, 2012. doi:10.1002/mmce.20644
5. Schueler, M., C. Mandel, M. Puentesand, and R. Jakoby, "Metamaterial inspired microwave sensors," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 13, 57-68, 2012. doi:10.1109/MMM.2011.2181448
6. Melik, R., E. Unal, N. K. Perkgoz, B. Santoni, D. Kamstock, C. Puttlitzand, and H. V. Demir, "Nested metamaterials for wireless strain sensing," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 16, 450-458, 2010. doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2009.2033391
7. Cheng, Y., Y. Nie, Z. Cheng, and R. Z. Gong, "Dual-band circular polarizer and linear polarization transformer based on twisted split-ring structure asymmetric chiral metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 263-272, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14020501
8. Cheng, Y., Y. Nie, L. Wu, and R. Z. Gong, "Giant circular dichroism and negative refractive index of chiral metamaterial based on split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 263-272, 2013.
9. Sonsilphong, A. and N. Wongkasem, "Three-dimensional artificial double helices with high negative refractive index," Journal of Optics, Vol. 14, 105103, 2012. doi:10.1088/2040-8978/14/10/105103
10. Wongkasem, N., C. Kamtongdee, A. Akyurtlu, and K. Marx, "Artificial multiple helices: Polarization and EM properties," Journal of Optics, Vol. 12, 075102, 2010. doi:10.1088/2040-8978/12/7/075102
11. Dincer, F., C. Sabah, M. Karaaslan, M. Bakir, and U. Erdiven, "Asymmetric transmission of linearly polarized waves and dynamically wave rotation using chiral metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 227-239, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13050601
12. Sabah, C., H. T. Tastan, F. Dincer, K. Delihacioglu, M. Karaaslan, and E. Unal, "Transmission tunneling through the multilayer double-negative and double-positive slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 293-306, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13013110
13. Ekmekci, E., R. D. Averitt, and G. T. Sayan, "Effects of substrate parameters on the resonance frequency of double-sided SRR structures under two different excitations," PIERS Proceedings, 538-540, Cambridge, USA, Jul. 5-8, 2010.
14. Kriegler, C., "Bianisotropic photonic metamaterials," IEEE Journal of Selectedtopics in Quantum Electronics, 1-15, 2010.
15. Wang, B., "Chiral metamaterials: Simulations and experiments," Journal of Optics A, Pure and Applied Optics, Vol. 11, No. 11, 114003-114013, 2009. doi:10.1088/1464-4258/11/11/114003
16. Tretyakov, S., A. Sihvolaand, and L. Jylha, "Backward-wave regime and negative refraction in chiral composites," Photonics and Nanostructures Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 2, No. 2-3, 107-115, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.photonics.2005.09.008
17. Chen, T., S. Liand, and H. Suun, "Metamaterials application in sensing," Sensors, Vol. 12, 2742-2765, 2012. doi:10.3390/s120302742
18. Soukoulis, C. M., S. Lindenand, and M. Wegener, "Negative refractive index at optical wavelengths," Science, Vol. 315, No. 5808, 47-49, 2007. doi:10.1126/science.1136481
19. Aydin, K., I. Bulu, K. Guven, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Investigation of magnetic resonances for different split-ring resonator parameters and designs," New J. Phys., Vol. 7, 168-182, 2005. doi:10.1088/1367-2630/7/1/168
20. Ekmekci, E. and G. T. Sayan, "Multi-functional metamaterial sensor based on a broad-side coupled SRR topology with a multi-layer substrate," Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing, Vol. 110, No. 1, 189-197, 2013. doi:10.1007/s00339-012-7113-1
21. Hendry, E., T. Carpy, J. Johnston, M. Popland, R. Mikhaylovskiy, A. J. Lapthorn, S. M. Kelly, L. D. Barron, N. Gadegaard, and M. Kadodwala, "Ultrasensitive detection and characterization of biomolecules using superchiral fields," Nature Nanoletters, Vol. 5, 783-787, 2010. doi:10.1038/nnano.2010.209
22. Meng, F., Q. Wu, D. Erni, K.Wu, and J. C. Lee, "Polarization-independent metamaterial analog of electromagnetically induced transparency for a refractive-index-based sensor," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 10, 3013-3022, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2209455
24. Anker, J. N., W. Paige, O. Lyandres, C. Shah, J. Zhao, and R. V. Duyne, "Bio sensing with plasmonic nanosensors," Nature Materials,, Vol. 7, 442-453, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1038/nmat2162
25. Link, S. and M. A. El Sayed, "Spectral properties and relaxation dynamics of surface plasmon electronic oscillations in gold and silver nanodots and nanorods," J. Phys. Chem. B., Vol. 103, 8410-8426, 1999. doi:10.1021/jp9917648
26. Haes, A. J. and R. P. Duyne, "A nanoscale optical biosensor: Sensitivity and selectivity of an approach based on the localised surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy of triangular silver nanoparticles," J. Am. Chem. Soc., Vol. 124, 10596-10604, 2002. doi:10.1021/ja020393x
27. Jung, L. S., C. T. Campell, T. M. Chinowsky, M. N. Mar, and S. S. Yee, "Quantitative interpretation of the response of surface plasmon resonance sensors to adsorbed film," Langmuir, Vol. 14, 5636-5648, 1998. doi:10.1021/la971228b
28. Barbillon, G., "Plasmonic nanostructures prepared by soft UV nanoimprint lithography and their application in biological sensing," Micromachines, Vol. 3, 21-27, 2012. doi:10.3390/mi3010021
29. Withayachumnankula, W., K. Jaruwongrungseeb, A. Tuantranontc, C. Fumeauxa, and D. Abbotta, "Metamaterial-based microfluidic sensor for dielectric characterization," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 189, 233-237, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.sna.2012.10.027
30. Vishvakarma, R. B. and C. S. Raid, "Measurement of complex dielectric constant of sand and dust particles as a function of moisture content," European Microwave Conference, Vol. 23, 568-570, 1993.
31. Zheng, Y., G. Meyer, M. Lanagan, A. Dinesh, and C. Jiping, "A study of watersorption effects on the microwave dielectric properties," Materials Letters, Vol. 95, 157-159, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.matlet.2012.12.112
32. Yang, J., M. Huang, H. Tang, J. Zeng, and L. Dong, "Metamaterial sensors," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 637270, 2013.
33. Factorova, D., "Temperature dependence of biological tissues complex permittivity at microwave frequencies," Advances in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 7, 354-357, 2008.
34. Baker, J., E. Vanzura, and W. Kissik, "Improved technique for determining complex permittivity with the transmission/reflection method," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 38, 1096-1103, 1990. doi:10.1109/22.57336
35. Faktorova, D., "Microwave nondestructive testing of dielectric materials," Advances in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 5, 230-233, 2006.