A novel multiband, dual-polarization, beam-switched dual-antenna design, covering some LTE and WLAN bands, has been proposed for indoor base stations. The proposed design consists mainly of dual modified monopole antennas. The horizontal antenna consists of four printed monopole elements, and the control circuit using p-i-n diodes has been implemented for feeding to each monopole element. The vertical monopole antenna beam patterns are controlled by reconfigurable frequency selective reflectors (RFSR) technique. The p-i-n diodes have been utilized for switching mechanism to feed the four RFSR. The measured and simulated results indicate that the antenna system possesses multiband and dual polarization. It has been observed from the simulated and measured reflection coefficients |S11| that the presented dual antenna system supports both LTE (1.7-2.1 GHz) and WLAN (2.5 GHz and 5.8 GHz) band frequencies. Moreover, the radiation characteristics show dual-polarization behaviors of the presented antenna system and beam switching states suitable for small cell indoor-base stations.
Rao Shahid Aziz,
"A Design of Multiband, Dual-Polarization, Beam-Switchable Dual-Antenna for Indoor Base Stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 149, 147-160, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14073103
1. Matsunaga, M. and T. Matsunaga, "A dual-polarization single-layered antenna for GPS and ISM bands," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, 2012.
2. Ping, S. L., H. Trigui, S. Dean, and Y. Bing, "Low pro¯le multibeam dual polarization antenna array with compensated mutual coupling," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, 2012.
3. Isenlik, T., M. M. Bilgic, K. Yegin, and M. Ciydem, "GSM/UMTfi dual polarization base station antenna design," General Assembly and Scientific Symposium (URSI), 1-4, 2011.
4. Bao, Z., Z. Nie, and X. Zong, "A broadband dual-polarization antenna element for wireless communication base station," IEEE Asia-Paci¯c Conf. on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP), 144-146, 2012.
5. Wang, S., H. Arai, H. Jiang, and K. Cho, "A compact orthogonal dual-polarization combined antenna for indoor MIMO base station," International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 1-3, 2012. doi:10.1109/ANTEM.2012.6262297
6. Liu, X., S. He, H. Zhou, J. Xie, and H. Wang, "A novel low-profile, dual-band, dual-polarization broadband array antenna for 2G/3G base station," IET International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, 1-4, 2006.
7. Wu, Z., J. Pan, S. Hu, S. Wen, and D. Yang, "Design of a novel dual polarization wideband base station antenna," International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ISPACS), 1-4, 2010.
8. Nguyen, V. A., M. H. Jeong, M. T. Dao, and S. O. Park, "Four-port beam reconfigurable antenna array for pattern diversity system," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 10, 1179-1186, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2011.0606
9. Tarn, I. Y. and S. J. Chung, "A novel pattern diversity reflector antenna using reconfigurable frequency selective reflectors," IEEE Trans. Ant. & Pro., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3035-3042, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2028606
10. Ko, C. H., I. Y. Tarn, and S. J. Chung, "A compact dual-band pattern diversity antenna by dual-band recon¯fiurable frequency-selective reflectors with a minimum number of switches," IEEE Trans. Ant. & Pro., Vol. 61, No. 2, 646-654, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2225011
12. Saunders, S. R., Antenna and Propagation for Wireless Communication System, Wiley, New York, 1999.
13. Dossche, S., J. Romeu, and S. Blanch, "Representation of the envelope correlation as a function of distance and frequency for a two-port antenna system," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Vol. 2, 1728-1731, 2004.
14. Vaughan, R. G. and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 36, 149-172, 1987. doi:10.1109/T-VT.1987.24115
15. Karaboikis, M., C. Soras, G. Tsachtsiris, and V. Makios, "Compact dual-printed inverted-F antenna diversity systems for portable wireless devices," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 9-14, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.825106