Dynamic structural color can empower devices with additional functions like spectrum and polarization detection beyond display or imaging. However, present methods suffer from narrow tuning ranges, low throughput, or bulky volumes. In this work, a tunable filter composed of a dichroic metagrating Fabry-Perot cavity and liquid crystal (LC) material is proposed and investigated. By modulating the polarization of the incident light with the LC, the color response can change from blue to green and deep red due to the `mode jumping' effect, with a tuning range of around 300 nm. Besides, we experimentally demonstrate the use of this device as a spectral imager in the visible range. Experimental results show that spectral resolvability can be around 10 nm, with the largest peak wavelength in accuracy of ~5 nm. This approach shows superior performance over traditional liquid crystal tunable filters in low light conditions and indicates the potential of dynamic structural color for miniaturized spectroscopic applications.
1. Yu, Y. F., A. Y. Zhu, R. Paniagua-Dominguez, Y. H. Fu, B. Luk'yanchuk, and A. I. Kuznetsov, "High-transmission dielectric metasurface with 2π phase control at visible wavelengths," Laser & Photonics Reviews, Vol. 9, 412-418, 2015. doi:10.1002/lpor.201500041
2. Yu, N., F. Aieta, P. Genevet, M. A. Kats, Z. Gaburro, and F. Capasso, "A broadband, background- free quarter-wave plate based on plasmonic metasurfaces," Nano Lett., Vol. 12, 6328-6333, 2012. doi:10.1021/nl303445u
3. Ding, F., Z. Wang, S. He, V. M. Shalaev, and A. V. Kildishev, "Broadband high-efficiency half-wave plate: A supercell-based plasmonic metasurface approach," ACS Nano, Vol. 9, 4111-4119, 2015. doi:10.1021/acsnano.5b00218
4. Khorasaninejad, M., W. T. Chen, R. C. Devlin, J. Oh, A. Y. Zhu, and F. Capasso, "Metalenses at visible wavelengths: Diffraction-limited focusing and subwavelength resolution imaging," Science, Vol. 352, 1190-1194, 2016. doi:10.1126/science.aaf6644
5. Zheng, G., H. Muhlenbernd, M. Kenney, G. Li, T. Zentgraf, and S. Zhang, "Metasurface holograms reaching 80% efficiency," Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 10, 308-312, 2015. doi:10.1038/nnano.2015.2
6. Kumar, K., H. Duan, R. S. Hegde, S. C. Koh, J. N. Wei, and J. K. Yang, "Printing colour at the optical diffraction limit," Nature Nanotechnology, Vol. 7, 557-561, 2012. doi:10.1038/nnano.2012.128
7. Cheng, F., J. Gao, T. S. Luk, and X. Yang, "Structural color printing based on plasmonic metasurfaces of perfect light absorption," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 11045, 2015. doi:10.1038/srep11045
8. Sun, S., et al., "All-dielectric full-color printing with TiO2 metasurfaces," ACS Nano, Vol. 11, 4445-4452, 2017. doi:10.1021/acsnano.7b00415
9. Liu, N., M. Mesch, T. Weiss, M. Hentschel, and H. Giessen, "Infrared perfect absorber and its application as plasmonic sensor," Nano Lett., Vol. 10, 2342-2348, 2010. doi:10.1021/nl9041033
10. He, N., et al., "Highly compact all-solid-state beam steering module based on a metafiber," ACS Photonics, Vol. 9, 3094-3101, 2022. doi:10.1021/acsphotonics.2c00848
11. Zhang, X., K. Kwon, J. Henriksson, J. Luo, and M. C. Wu, "A large-scale microelectromechanical-systems-based silicon photonics LiDAR," Natur., Vol. 603, 253-258, 2022. doi:10.1038/s41586-022-04415-8
17. Decker, M., et al., "Electro-optical switching by liquid-crystal controlled metasurfaces," Opt. Express, Vol. 21, 8879-8885, 2013. doi:10.1364/OE.21.008879
18. Driencourt, L., et al., "Electrically tunable multicolored filter using birefringent plasmonic resonators and liquid crystals," ACS Photonics, Vol. 7, 444-453, 2019.
19. Franklin, D., R. Frank, S.-T. Wu, and D. Chanda, "Actively addressed single pixel full-colour plasmonic display," Nature Communications, Vol. 8, 15209, 2017. doi:10.1038/ncomms15209
20. Zou, C., et al., "Electrically tunable transparent displays for visible light based on dielectric metasurfaces," ACS Photonics, Vol. 6, 1533-1540, 2019. doi:10.1021/acsphotonics.9b00301
21. Kim, I., et al., "Stimuli-responsive dynamic metaholographic displays with designer liquid crystal modulators," Adv. Mater., Vol. 32, 2004664, 2020. doi:10.1002/adma.202004664
22. Badloe, T., I. Kim, Y. Kim, J. Kim, and J. Rho, "Electrically tunable bifocal metalens with diffraction-limited focusing and imaging at visible wavelengths," Advanced Science, Vol. 8, 2102646, 2021. doi:10.1002/advs.202102646
23. Kobashi, J., H. Yoshida, and M. Ozaki, "Planar optics with patterned chiral liquid crystals," Nature Photonics, Vol. 10, 389-392, 2016. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2016.66
24. Li, S.-Q., X. Xu, R. Maruthiyodan Veetil, V. Valuckas, R. Paniagua-Dominguez, and A. I. Kuznetsov, "Phase-only transmissive spatial light modulator based on tunable dielectric metasurface," Science, Vol. 364, 1087-1090, 2019. doi:10.1126/science.aaw6747
26. Li, K., J. Wang, W. Cai, H. He, J. Liu, Z. Yin, D. Luo, Q. Mu, D. Gerard, and Y. J. Liu, "Electrically switchable structural colors based on liquid-crystal-overlaid aluminum anisotropic nanoaperture arrays," Opt. Express, Vol. 30, No. 18, 31913-31924, 2022. doi:10.1364/OE.461887
27. Lee, Y., M.-K. Park, S. Kim, J. H. Shin, C. Moon, J. Y. Hwang, J.-C. Choi, H. Park, H.-R. Kim, and J. E. Jang, "Electrical broad tuning of plasmonic color filter employing an asymmetric-lattice nanohole array of metasurface controlled by polarization rotator," ACS Photonics, Vol. 4, 1954, 2017. doi:10.1021/acsphotonics.7b00249
28. Smith, D., D. Vier, T. Koschny, and C. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 71, No. 3, 036617, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.71.036617
29. August, I., Y. Oiknine, M. AbuLeil, I. Abdulhalim, and A. Stern, "Miniature compressive ultra-spectral imaging system utilizing a single liquid crystal phase retarder," Scientific Reports, Vol. 6, 1-9, 2016.
30. Palik, E. D., Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids, Academic Press, 1998.