Cellular communications using high altitude platforms will predominate the existing conventional terrestrial or satellite systems. Radio coverage of HAPs is an important issue that affect the cellular system design, therefore a deep analysis of the HAP cell footprint will be presented in two coverage models and the cell parameters are also deduced for subsequent cellular design. In the design stage, a cell generating algorithm is introduced to define their locations more accurate. When deploying the cellular system with such algorithm, the cells have proper overlap and interspacing.
1. Thornton, J., D. Grace, C. Spillard, T. Konefal, and T. C. Tozer, "Broadband communications from a high-altitude platform: the European HeliNet programme," Electronics & Communications Engineering Journal, No. 6, 2001.
2. Hadhoud, M., M. Dessouky, M. Nofal, and Y. Albagory, Twodimensional switched-beam smart antennas for stratospheric platform cellular communications, Proceeding of The IEEE International Conference on Software, 9-14, 2001.
3. El-Jabu, B. and R. Steele, "Cellular communications using aerial platforms," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 50, No. 5, 686-700, 2001. doi:10.1109/25.933305
4. Thornton, J., D. Grace, M. H. Capstick, and T. C. Tozer, "Optimizing an array of antennas for cellular coverage from a high altitude platform," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 2, No. 3, 484-492, 2003. doi:10.1109/TWC.2003.811052
5. Dessouky, M., M. Nofal, H. Sharshar, and Y. Albagory, Modeling and investigating the rotational motion effects of the high altitude platforms, 22nd National Radio Science Conference (NRSC 2005), 15-17, 2005.
6. Dessouky, M., M. Nofal, H. Sharshar, and Y. Albagory, Optimization of beams directions for high altitude platforms cellular communications design, 23rd National Radio Science Conference (NRSC 2006), 15-17, 2006.
7. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05112801
8. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. DeNatale, M. Pastorino, and A. Massa, "Linear antenna synthesis with hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 1-22, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03121301