The transition behavior of the k-surface of a lossy anisotropic indefinite slab is investigated. It is found that, if the material loss is taken into account, the k-surface does not show a sudden change from hyperbola to the ellipse when one principle element of the permittivity tensor changes from negative to positive. In fact, after introducing a small material loss, the shape of the k-surface can be a combination of a hyperbola and an ellipse, and a selective high directional transmission can be obtained in such a slab.
5. Smith, D. R. and D. Schuring, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in media with indefinite permittivity and permeability tensors," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 90, 077405, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.90.077405
6. Garrett, C. G. B. and D. E. McCumber, "Propagation of a gaussian light pulse through an anomalous dispersion medium," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 1, 1970. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.1.305
7. Dolling, G., C. Enkrich, M. Wegener, C. M. Soukoulis, and S. Linden, "Simultaneous negative phase and group velocity of light in a metamaterial," Science, Vol. 312, 892-894, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1126021
9. Sun, J., W. Sun, T. Jiang, and Y. Feng, "Directive electromagnetic radiation of a line source scattered by a conducting cylinder coated with left-handed metamaterial," Microwave Opt. Technol Lett., Vol. 47, No. 3, 274-279, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21145
10. Wu, B.-I., et al., "Anisotropic metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance directivity," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 4, 680-683, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21441
11. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmas in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 1996. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.76.4773
12. Parazzoli, C. G., R. B. Greegor, K. Li, B. E. C. Koltenbah, and M. Tanielian, "Experimental verification and simulation of negative index of refraction using Snell's law," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 90, 107401, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.90.107401
13. Podolskiv, V. A. and E. E. Narimanov, "Strongly anisotropic waveguide as a non-magnetic left-handed system," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 71, 201101, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.71.201101
14. Zhong, Y., et al., "Reflection and refraction on the boundary of left-handed material with a hyperbolic dispersion relation," Chin. Phys. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 5, 2006.
15. Grzegorczyk, T. M., M. Nikku, X. Chen, B.-I.Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Refraction laws for anisotropic media and their application to left-handed metamaterial," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 2005.
16. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, Wiley and Sons, 1986, 1990, EMW Publishing, 2000, 2005.
17. Jacob, Z., L. V.Alekseyev, and E. Narimanov, "Optical hyperlens: Far-field imaging beyond the diffraction limit," Optics Express, Vol. 14, No. 18, 8247-8256, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.008247
18. Salandrino, A. and N. Engheta, "Far-field subdiffraction optical microscopy using metamaterial crystals: Theory and simulation," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 74, 075103, 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.74.075103
19. Liu, Z., H. Lee, Y. Xiong, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, "Far-field optical hyperlens magnifying sub-diffraction-limited objects," Science, Vol. 315, 2007.
20. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322585
21. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322620
22. Wongkasem, N., A. Akyurtlu, and K. A. Marx, "Group theory based design of isotropic negative refractive index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 295-310, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06062103
23. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Combination of Mls, Ga & Cg for the reduction of Rcs of multilayered cylindrical structures composed of dispersive metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 227-253, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07120803
24. Zainud-Deen, S. H., A. Z. Botros, and M. S. Ibrahim, "Scattering from bodies coated with metamaterial using FDFD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 279-290, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112803
25. Lagarkov, A. N., V. N. Kisel, and V. N. Semenenko, "Wideangle absorption by the use of a metamaterial plate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 35-44, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07111809
26. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic scattering from two eccentric metamaterial cylinders with frequency-dependent permittivities differing slightly each other," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 23-34, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112906
27. Liu, S.-H., C.-H. Liang, W. Ding, L. Chen, and W.-T. Pan, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through a slab waveguide of uniaxially anisotropic dispersive metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 467-475, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07071905
28. Weng, Z.-B., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Design and experiment of one dimension and two dimension metamaterial structures for directive emission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 199-209, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07010301
29. Guo, Y. and R. M. Xu, "Planar metamaterials supporting multiple left-handed modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 239-251, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06113001
30. Hudlicka, M., J. Machac, and I. S. Nefedov, "A triple wire medium as an isotropic negative permittivity metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 233-246, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06102703