This paper presents a novel band-notched elliptical slot antenna for Ultra Wide-Band (UWB) communication, which is printed on a dielectric substrate of RT/duroid 6006 with relative permittivity (εr) of 6.0, thickness of 1.27 mm, and fed by an elliptical open ended microstrip line connected to the 50Ω main line. This antenna is designed to be used in frequency band of 3.1-10.6 GHz. Bandnotched characteristics of antenna to reject the frequency band of 5.15-5.825 GHz, which is limited by IEEE 802.11a, is realized by parasitic inverted-U strip attached to the elliptical slot plane. Effects of varying the parameters of parasitic inverted-U strip on performance of proposed antenna have been investigated. The antenna with optimal parameters obtained from parametric study is fabricated and measured. It is observed that the simulation and experimental results have good agreements with each other.
Abdol Aziz Kalteh,
"A Novel UWB Elliptical Slot Antenna with Band-Notched Characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08022603
1. FCC report and order for part 15 acceptance of ultra wideband (UWB) systems from 3.1-10.6GHz, Washington, DC, 2002.
2. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, K. F. Lee, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Microstrip line and CPW fed ultra wideband slot antennas with U-shaped tuning stub and reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 163-182, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05060701
3. Zhang, G.-M., J. S. Hong, B.-Z. Wang, Q. Y. Qin, J. B. Mo, and D.-M. Wan, "A novel multi-folded UWB antenna fed by CPW," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 2109-2119, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783152911
4. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. D. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, November 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598
5. Angelopoulos, S., A. Z. Anastopoulos, D. I. Kaklamani, A. A. Alexandridis, F. Lazarakis, and K. Dangakis, "Circular and elliptical CPW-fed slot and microstrip-fed antennas for ultra wideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 294-297, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.878882
6. Ray, K. P. and Y. Rang, "Ultra wideband printed elliptical monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 4, 1189-1192, April 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.893408
7. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, J. F. Li, and J. L. Guo, "A swallow-tailed wideband planar monopole antenna with semi-elliptical base," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1257-1264, 2007.
8. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, Y. Z. Yin, and W. B. Wei, "Study of the band-notched function for swallow-tailed planar monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 55-65, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072506
9. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, Y. Cheng, and H. Zhu, "Frequency notched ultra-wideband microstrip slot antenna with fractal tuning stub," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 6, 294-296, March 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20058420
10. Wong, K. L., Y. W. Chi, C. M. Su, and F. S. Chang, "Band-notched ultra wideband circular-disk monopole antenna with an arc-shaped slot," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 3, 188-191, May 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20766
11. Su, S. W., K. L. Wong, and F. S. Chang, "Compact printed ultra-wideband slot antenna with a band-notched operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 2, 128-130, April 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20746
12. Ren, W., Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Novel planar monopole UWB antenna with 5-GHz band-notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1645-1652, 2007.
13. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notched frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 237-348, 2008.
14. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 766-768, November 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.858969
15. Kim, K.-H. and S.-O. Park, "Analysis of the small band-rejected antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, June 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.875911
16. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas fed by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091201