This paper investigates the properties of the on-wafer coupled interconnects built in a 0.18 μm CMOS technology for RF applications. A SPICE compatible equivalent circuit model is developed. The proposed model is an extension of a 2-Ⅱ equivalent circuit model for single-line interconnects by adding two coupling components. The model parameters are extracted from four-port S-parameter simulation results through a calibrated electromagnetic (EM) simulator, i.e. HFSS. The accuracy of the model is validated from 500 MHz to 20 GHz.
Kiat Seng Yeo,
Wei Meng Lim,
Manh Anh Do,
Chirn Chye Boon,
"A SPICE Compatible Model of on-Wafer Coupled Interconnects for CMOS Rfics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 102, 287-299, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10010608
1. Avinash, S., B. N. Joshi, and A. M. Mahajan, "Analysis of capacitance across interconnects of low-K dielectric used in a deep sub-micron CMOS technology ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 189-196, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07112802
2. Xia, L., R.-M. Xu, and B. Yan, "LTCC interconnect modeling by support vector regression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 67-75, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06120503
3. Xie, H., J. Wang, R. Fan, and Y. Liu, "Study of loss effect of transmission lines and validity of a spice model in electromagnetic topology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 89-103, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08121605
4. Gazizov, T. R., "Far-end crosstalk reduction in double-layered dielectric interconnects," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 43, No. 4, 566-572, 2001. doi:10.1109/15.974636
5. Kumar, R., S. C. Rustagi, K. Kang, K. Mouthaan, and T. K. S. Wong, "Characterization and modeling of CMOS on-chip coupled interconnects ," 37th European Solid State Device Research Conference, 159-162, Sep. 2007.
6. Arz, U., D. F. Wiliams, D. K. Walker, and H. Grabinski, "Asymmetric coupled CMOS lines --- An experimental study,"," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2409-2414, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.898991
7. Zheng, J., Y. Hahm, V. K. Tripathi, and A. Weisshaar, "CAD-oriented equivalent circuit modeling of on-chip interconnects on lossy silicon substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 9, 1443-1451, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.868993
8. Zheng, J., V. K. Tripathi, and A. Weisshaar, "Characterization and modeling of multiple coupled on-chip interconnects on silicon substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 10, 1733-1739, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.954777
9. Agarwal, K., D. Sylvester, and D. Blaauw, "Modeling and analysis of crosstalk noise in coupled RLC interconnects," IEEE Trans. Computer-aided Design, Vol. 25, No. 5, 892-901, 2006. doi:10.1109/TCAD.2005.855961
10. Kumar, R., K. Kang, S. C. R. Rustagi, K. Mouthaan, and T. K. S. Wong, "SPICE compatible modelling of on-chip coupled interconnects ," Electron. Lett. , Vol. 43, No. 9, 19-20, 2007.
11. Shi, X., J. Ma, K. S. Yeo, M. A. Do, and E. Li, "Equivalent circuit model of on-wafer CMOS interconnects for RFICs," IEEE Trans. VLSI Syst., Vol. 13, No. 9, 1060-1071, 2005. doi:10.1109/TVLSI.2005.857177
12. Shi, X., J. Ma, K. S. Yeo, M. A. Do, and E. Li, "Complex shaped on-wafer interconnects modeling for CMOS RFICs," IEEE Trans. VLSI Syst., Vol. 16, No. 7, 922-926, 2008. doi:10.1109/TVLSI.2008.2000445
13. Shi, X., K. S. Yeo, J. Ma, M. A. Do, and E. Li, "Sensitivity analysis of coupled interconnects for RFIC applications," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 48, No. 4, 607-613, 2006. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2006.884417
14. Dreyfus, G., Neural Networks: Methodology and Applications, Springer, 2005.