In order to enhance the accuracy of the complex permittivity data employed in Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) techniques, an adaptive cavity setup is presented. The use of moveable walls permits to relax the mechanical constraints on the sample dimensions so that it can be employed also in complicate measurement condition as, for example, in the case of wet samples. Moreover, exploiting the cavity resonance phenomenon, low loss materials, such as some type of marbles, can be accurately evaluated. The numerical characterization, the parametric analyses and the L-band measurement results show the validity and the reliability of this configuration.
1. Olhoeft, G. R., "Electromagnetic field and material properties in ground penetrating radar," Advanced Ground Penetrating Radar, 144-147, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on May 14-16, 2003.
2. Soldovieri, F. and N. Romano, "The mutual interaction between the reconfigurable transmitting and receiving antennas in ground penetrating radar surveys ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14/15, 1919-1928, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932359
3. Cardarelli, E., A. Godio, G. Morelli, L. Sambuelli, G. Santarato, and L. V. Socco, "Integrated geophysical surveys to investigate the Scarsella vault of St. John's baptistery in Florence ," The Leading Edge, Vol. 21, No. 5, 467-470, 2002. doi:10.1190/1.1481255
4. Mandeep, J. S., N. K. Loke, S. I. S. Hassan, M. F. Ain, S. Sreekantan, and K. Y. Cheong, "Investigation of microwave properties of high permittivity ceramic substrate," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14/15, 1873-1882, 2009.
5. Turner, G., A. F. Siggins, and L. D. Hunt, "Ground penetrating radar --- Will it clear the haze at your site?," Exploration geophysics, Vol. 24, 819-832, 1993. doi:10.1071/EG993819
6. Wu, Y., Z. X. Tang, Y. Xu, X. He, and B. Zhang, "Permittivity measurement of ferroelectric thin film based on cpw transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 4, 555-562, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784150272
7. Sambuelli, L., A. Godio, T. J. Guo, and L. V. Socco, Laboratory determination of the dielectric permittivity of building stones in the 0.2-6 GHz band, Proc. of the IV Meeting of the Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society (European Section), 477-480, Barcelona, Spain, September 14-17, 1998.
8. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On measuring the permittivity tensor of an anisotropic material from the transmission coefficients," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 105-116, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08072005
9. Bringhurst, S. and M. F. Iskander, "Thin sample dielectric properties measurement using open-ended coaxial probes and FDTD calculations ," Antennas and Propagation Society, Vol. 4, 1844-1847, June 1995.
10. Kumar, A. and G. Singh, "Measurement of dielectric constant and loss factor of the dielectric material at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 4754, 2007.
11. Rajab, K. Z., K. F. Fuh, R. Mittra, and M. Lanagan, "Dielectric property measurement using a resonant nonradiative dielectric waveguide structure," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 2, 104-107, February 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.842845
12. Akhtar, M. J., L. E. Feher, and M. Thumm, "A waveguide-based two-step approach for measuring complex permittivity tensor of uniaxial composite materials," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 5, 2011-2022, May 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.873623
13. Atanaskovid, A., V. Tasi, and S. Ivkovid, Automatization of the complex dielectric constant measurement, Proc. of the 5th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Service, Vol. 2, 691-694, September 19-21, 2001.
14. Vaccaneo, D., L. Sambuelli, P. Marini, R. Tascone, and R. Orta, "Measurement system of complex permittivity of ornamental rocks in l frequency band," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, No. 11, 2490-2498, November 2004. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.835225
15. Vaccaneo, D., R. Tascone, and R. Orta, Adaptive cavity for complex permittivity measurement of rock materials, Proc. of the 2004 URSI EMTS, Pisa, Italy, May 23-27, 2004.
16. Peverini, O. A., R. Tascone, M. Baralis, G. Virone, D. Trinchero, and R. Orta, "Reduced-order optimized mode-matching CAD of microwave waveguide components," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 1, 311-318, January 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.820893
17. Itoh, T., Numerical Techniques For Microwave and Millimeter-wave Passive Structures, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 1989.
18. Motavali, H. and A. Rostami, "Exactly modal analysis of inhomogeneous slab waveguide using nikiforov-uvarov method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 5/6, 681-692, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784159507
19. Lancellotti, V. and R. Orta, "Guided waves in layered cubic media: Convergence study of a polynomial expansion approach," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 104, No. 5, 2638-2644, November 1998. doi:10.1121/1.423847
20. Essid, C., M. B. B. Salah, K. Kochlef, A. Samet, and A. B. Kouki, "Spatial-spectral formulation of method of moment for rigorous analysis of microstrip structures ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 17-26, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08112706
21. Lin, H., G. Wang, and F. Liang, "A novel unconditionally stable pstd method based on weighted laguerre polynomial expansion," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8/9, 1011-1020, 2009.
22. Torre, A., "The relativistic hermite polynomials and the wave equation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 21-56, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09031604
23. Chen, C. P., M. Y. Chen, J. P. Yu, M. Niu, and D. Xu, Uncertainty analysis for the simultaneous measurement of complex electromagnetic parameters using an open-ended coaxial probe, Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, Vol. 1, 61-65, 2004.