In this paper, we present the design, simulation, and measurement of a dual-band metamaterial absorber in the microwave region. Simulated and experimental results show that the absorber has two perfect absorption points near 11.15GHz and 16.01GHz. Absorptions under different polarizations of incident EM waves are measured with magnitude of over 97% at low-frequency peak and 99% at high-frequency peak respectively. Current distribution at the dual absorptive peaks is also given to study the physical mechanism of power loss. Moreover, it is verified by experiment that the absorptions of this kind of metamaterial absorber remain over 90% at the low-frequency peak and 92% at the high-frequency peak with wide incident angles ranging from 0° to 60° for both transverse electric wave and transverse magnetic wave.
"Perfect Metamaterial Absorber with Dual Bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 108, 37-49, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071409
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Phy. Usp, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Xi, S., H. Chen, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental confirmation of guidance properties using planar anisotropic left-handed metamaterial slabs based on S-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 279-287, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08062105
3. Zhou, H., Z. Pei, S. Qu, S. Zhang, J. Wang, Q. Li, and Z. Xu, "A planar zero-index metamaterial for directive emission," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 953-962, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788355289
4. Ramprecht, J., M. Norgren, and D. Sjoberg, "Scattering from a thin magnetic layer with a periodic lateral magnetization: Application to electromagnetic absorbers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 199-224, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08042805
5. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
6. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Multilayer system of lorentz/drude type metamaterials with dielectric slabs and its application to electromagnetic filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 349-364, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09031306
7. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-FED multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08050404
8. Khalilpour, J. and M. Hakkak, "S-shaped ring resonator as anisotropic uniaxial metamaterial used in waveguide tunneling," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 13, 1763-1772, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789566879
9. Hwang, R.-B., H.-W. Liu, and C.-Y. Chin, "A metamaterial-based e-plane horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 275-289, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09050606
10. Wiltshire, M. C. K., J. B. Pendry, I. R. Young, D. J. Larkman, D. J. Gilderdale, and J. V. Hajnal, "Microstructured magnetic materials for RF flux guides in magnetic resonance imaging," Science, Vol. 291, 849-851, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.291.5505.849
11. Gokkavas, M., K. Guven, I. Bulu, K. Aydin, R. S. Penciu, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Experimental demonstration of a left-handed metamaterial operating at 100 GHz," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 73, 193103-1-193103-5, 2006.
12. Lin, X. Q., T. J. Cui, Y. Fan, and X. Liu, "Frequency selective surface designed using electric resonant structures in terahertz frequency bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 21-29, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604724
13. Linden, S., C. Enkrich, M. Wegener, J. F. Zhou, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Magnetic response of metamaterials at 100 Terahertz," Science, Vol. 306, 1351-1353, 2004. doi:10.1126/science.1105371
14. Zhang, S., W. J. Fan, N. C. Panoiu, K. J. Malloy, R. M. Osgood, and S. R. J. Brueck, "Experimental demonstration of near-infrared negative-index metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 95, 137404-1-137404-5, 2005.
15. Dolling, G., M. Wegener, C. M. Soukoulis, and S. Linden, "Negative-index metamaterial at 780nm wavelength," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, 53-55, 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.000053
16. Chamaani, S., S. A. Mirtaheri, M. Teshnehlab, M. A. Shooredeli, and V. Seydi, "Modified multi-objective particle swarm optimization for electromagnetic absorber design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 353-366, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07101702
17. Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "Perfect metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, 2074021-2074024, 2008.
18. Avitzour, Y., Y. A. Urzhumov, and G. Shvets, "Wide-angle infrared absorber based on a negative-index plasmonic metamaterial," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, 045131, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.79.045131
19. Hao, J., J. Wang, X. Liu, W. J. Padilla, L. Zhou, and M. Qiu, "High performance optical absorber based on a plamonic meamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 96, 251104, 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3442904
20. Tao, H., C. M. Bingham, A. C. Strikwerda, D. Pilon, D. Shrekenhamer, N. I. Landy, K. Fan, X. Zhang, W. J. Padilla, and R. D. Averitt, "Highly flexible wide angle of incidence terahertz metamaterial absorber: Design, fabrication, and characterization," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 78, 241103(R), 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.78.014426
21. Rozanov, K. N., "Ultimate thickness to bandwidth ratio of radar absorbers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 8, No. 48, 1230-1234, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.884491
22. Kazemzadeh, A. and A. Karlsson, "Capacitive circuit method for fast and efficient design of wideband radar absorber," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2307-2314, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2024490
23. Wang, B., T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Wide-angle and polarization-independent chiral metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 80, 0331081-0331083, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.80.085309
24. Zhu, B., Z. Wang, C. Huang, Y. Feng, J. Zhao, and T. Jiang, "Polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber with wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 231-239, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011110
25. Lagarkov, A. N., V. N. Kisel, and V. N. Semenenko, "Wide-angle absorption by the use of a metamaterial plate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 35-44, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07111809
26. Wang, J. F., S. B. Qu, Z. T. Fu, H. Ma, Y. M. Yang, X.Wu, X. Xu, and M. J. Hao, "Three-dimensional metamaterial microwave absorbers composed of coplanar magnetic and electric resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 15-24, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09012003
27. Wen, Q. Y., H. W. Zhang, Y. S. Xie, Q. H. Yang, and Y. L. Liu, "Dual band terahertz metamaterial absorber: Design, fabrication, and characterization," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 95, 241111-1-241111-3, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3213561
28. Han, T. C., X. H. Tang, and F. Xiao, "The petal-shaped cloak," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 2055-2062, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932511
29. Luo, Y., J. Zhang, H. Chen, B.-I. Wu, and L.-X. Ran, "Wave and ray analysis of a type of cloak exhibiting magnified and shifted scattering effect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 167-178, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09070805
30. Cheng, Q., W. X. Jiang, and T.-J. Cui, "Investigations of the electromagnetic properties of three-dimensional arbitrarily-shaped cloaks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 105-117, 2008.
31. Zhao, J., Y. Feng, B. Zhu, and T. Jiang, "Sub-wavelength image manipulating through compensated anisotropic metamaterial prisms," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 18057-18066, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.16.018057