A new design of microwave band pass filter design is presented using metamaterial-inspired Epsilon Near Zero (ENZ) and Mu Near Zero (MNZ) behaviors. These filters are based on waveguide technology. The proposed structure allows us to reduce the number of tunnels normally used for passband filter design by reducing its size. It is also incorporated the half mode concept to the tunnels leading a greater miniaturization. Two Chebyshev filters with two and four-poles were designed, fabricated and measured showing good agreement between simulated and experimental results.
Devata Venkata Bhyrava Murthy,
"Half Mode Microwave Filters Based on Epsilon Near Zero and MU Near Zero Concepts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 113, 379-393, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10100707
1. Hwang, R. B., H. W. Liu, and C.Y. Chin, "A metamaterial-based E-plane horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 275-289, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09050606
2. Gong, Y. and G. Wang, "Superficial tumor hyperthermia with flat left-handed metamaterial lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 389-405, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09091401
3. Jang, G. and S. Kahng, "Design of a dual-band metamaterial band-pass filter using zeroth order resonance," Progress In Electromagntics Research C, Vol. 12, 149-162, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC09122001
4. Navarro-Cía, M., J. M. Carrasco, M. Beruete, and F. Falcone, "Ultra-wideband metamaterial filter based on electroinductive-wave coupling between microstrips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 141-150, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09102106
5. Alù, A., M. G. Silveirinha, A. Salandrinoz, and N. Engheta, "Epsilon-near-zero (ENZ) metamaterials and electromagnetic sources: Tailoring the radiation phase pattern," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 75, No. 15, 155410, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.75.155410
6. Murthy, D. V. B., A. Corona-Chávez, and J. L. Olvera-Cervantes, "A novel epsilon near zero (ENZ) tunneling circuit using microstrip technology for high integrability applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 65-74, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10060202
7. Edwards, B., A. Alù, M. G. Silveirinha, and N. Engheta1, "Reflectionless sharp bends and corners using epsilon-near-zero effects," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 105, No. 4, 044905, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3074506
8. Edwards, B., A. Alù, M. G. Silveirinha, and N. Engheta, "Comparison between ε-near-zero and fabry-perot resonant transmission through waveguide bends and channels," URSI General Assembly, 303, Chicago, IL, USA, Aug. 2008.
9. Edwars, B., A. Alù, M. E. Young, M. Silveirinha, and N. Engheta, "Experimental verification of epsilon-near-zero metamaterial coupling and energy squeezing using a microwave waveguide," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 100, No. 3, Jan. 2008.
10. Garcia, N., M. Munoz, E. V. Ponizovskaya, and M. Nieto-Vesperinas, "Zero permeability materials (ZmuM): A way out of the left handed materials trap,", Cornell University Library, 2010.
11. Jin, Y., P. Zhang, and S. He, "Squeezing electromagnetic energy with a dielectric split ring inside a permeability-near-zero metamaterial," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 81, 085117, 2010. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.81.085117
12. Yang, J., M. Huang, and J. Peng, "Directive emission obtained by Mu and epsilon-near-zero metamaterials," Radioengineering Journal, Vol. 18, 2009.
13. Tassin, P., X. Sahyoun, and I. Veretennicoff, "Miniaturization of photonic waveguides by the use of left-handed materials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 92, 203111, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2936299
14. Oulton, R. F., V. J. Sorger, D. A. Genov, D. F. P. Pile, and X. Zhang, "A hybrid plasmonic waveguide for subwavelength confinement and long-range propagation," Nature Photonics, Vol. 2, 496-500, 2008. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2008.131
15. Abdelaziz, A. F., T. M. Abuelfadl, and O. L. Elsayed, "Realization of composite right/left-handed transmission line using coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 299-315, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09040305
16. Niu, J. X. and X. L. Zhou, "Analysis of balanced composite right/left handed structure based on different dimensions of complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 341-351, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07051802
17. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 2006.
18. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Application of the transmission line theory of left-handed (LH) materials to the realization of a microstrip, `LH line'," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 412-415, Aug. 2002.
19. Wang, Y., Y. Zhang, H. Li, L. He, F. Liu, and H. Chen, "Coupling characteristics between composite right-/left-handed transmission line and conventional transmission line," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 2008. ICMMT 2008, Vol. 4, 1620-1623, Apr. 2008. doi:10.1109/ICMMT.2008.4540773
20. Dong, Y. D. and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide and half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2009, MTT'09, 49-52, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2009.5165629
21. Hong, W., B. Liu, Y. Wang, Q. Lai, H. Tang, X. X. Yin, Y. D. Dong, Y. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application," Proc. Joint 31st Int. Conf. Inf. Millim. Waves 14th Int. Conf. Terahertz Electron., 18-22, Shanghai, China, Sep. 2006.
22. Wang, Y., W. Hong, Y. Dong, B. Liu, H. J. Tang, J. Chen, X. Yin, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 265-267, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.892958
23. Liu, B., W. Hong, Y. Q. Wang, Q. H. Lai, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) 3-dB coupler," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 22-24, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.887244
24. Wang, Z., X. Li, S. Zhou, B. Yan, R. M. Xu, and W. Lin, "Half mode substrate integrated folded waveguide (HMSIFW) and partial h-plane bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 203-216, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011201
25. Lai, Q. H., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, Y. S. Zhang, and K. Wu, "Half-mode substrate integrated waveguide transverse slot array antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 1064-1072, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2015799
26. Ansoft HFSS software, version 11.
27. Lubkowski, G., R. Schuhmann, and T. Weiland, "Extraction of effective metamaterial parameters by parameter fitting of dispersive models," Microwave Optics and Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 2, 285-288, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22105
29. Matthaei, G., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance Matching Networks and Coupling Structures, Artech House, 1980.
30. Liu, C. and K. Huang, "A compact substrate integrated waveguide band-pass filter," PIERS Proceedings, 1135-1138, Cambridge, USA, Jul. 5-8, 2010.
31. Deng, H., "A novel broad bandpass filter with coplanar resonators," 11th IEEE Singapore International Conference on Communication Systems, 2008, ICCS 2008, 630-631, Nov. 2008.
32. Bornemann, J. and S. Y. Yu, "Circular waveguide TM11-mode resonators and their application to polarization-preserving band-pass and quasi-highpass filters," German Microwave Conference 2010, 202-205, Mar. 2010.