A wide analysis of left-handed material (LHM) spheres with different constitutive parameters has been carried out employing different integral-equation formulations based on the Method of Moments. The study is focused on the accuracy assessment of formulations combining normal equations (combined normal formulation, CNF), tangential equations (combined tangential formulation, CTF, and Poggio-Miller-Chang-Harrington-Wu-Tsai formulation, PMCHWT) and both of them (electric and magnetic current combined field integral equation, JMCFIE) when dealing with LHM's. Relevant and informative features as the condition number, the eigenvalues distribution and the iterative response are analyzed. The obtained results show up the suitability of the JMCFIE for this kind of analysis in contrast with the unreliable behavior of the other approaches.
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics USPEKI, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
3. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A positive future for double-negative metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1535-1556, April 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845188
4. Chew, W. C., "Some reflections on double negative materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 1-26, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04032602
5. Moss, C. D., T. M. Grzegorczyk, Y. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Numerical studies of left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 315-322, 2002. doi:10.2528/PIER02052409
6. Dong, Z. G., S. N. Zhu, H. Liu, J. Zhu, and W. Cao, "Numerical simulations of negative-index refraction in wedge-shaped metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E Stat. Nonlin. Soft Matter Phys., Vol. 72, No. 1, 016607, 18-21, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.72.016607
7. Kantartzis, N. V., D. L. Sounas, C. S. Antonopoulos, and T. D. Tsiboukis, "A wideband ADI-FDTD algorithm for the design of double negative metamaterial-based waveguides and antenna substrates," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 43, No. 4, 1329-1332, April 2007. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2006.891007
8. Mautz, J. R. and R. F. Harrington, "Electromagnetic scattering from a homogeneous material body of revolution," Arch. Elektron. Uebertraeg., Vol. 33, 71-80, 1979.
9. Ylä-Oijala, P. and M. Taskinen, "Application of combined field integral equation for electromagnetic scattering by dielectric and composite objects ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1168-1173, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842640
10. Ylä-Oijala, P., M. Taskinen, and S. Järvenpää, "Surface integral equation formulations for solving electromagnetic scattering problems with iterative methods," Radio Sci., Vol. 40, No. 6, RS6002, 2005. doi:10.1029/2004RS003169
11. Ylä-Oijala, P., M. Taskinen, and J. Sarvas, "Surface integral equation method for general composite metallic and dielectric structures with junctions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 81-108, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04071301
12. Wang, S., X. Guan, D.-W. Wang, X. Ma, and Y. Su, "Electromagnetic scattering by mixed conducting/dielectric objects using higher-order MoM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 51-63, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06092101
13. Ylä-Oijala, P., "Numerical analysis of combined field integral equation formulations for electromagnetic scattering by dielectric and composite objects ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 19-43, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08032501
14. Ergül, Ö. and L. Gürel, "Comparison of integral-equation formulations for the fast and accurate solution of scattering problems involving dielectric objects with the multilevel fast multipole algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 1, 176-187, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2009665
15. Cui, Z., Y. Han, Q. Xu, and M. Li, "Parallel MoM solution of jmcfie for scattering by 3-D electrically large dielectric objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 12, 217-228, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERM10042607
16. Smith, D. L., L. N. Medgyesi-Mitschang, and D. W. Forester, "Surface integral equation formulations for left-handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 27-48, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04032203
17. Liu, Y. A. and W. C. Chew, "Stability of surface integral equation for left-handed materials," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 1, 84-89, February 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20050338
18. Rivero, J., J. M. Taboada, L. Landesa, F. Obelleiro, and I. García-Tuñón, "Surface integral equation formulation for the analysis of left-handed metamaterials ," Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 15, 15876-15886, July 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.015876
19. Ergül, Ö. and L. Gürel, "Efficient solutions of metamaterial problems using a low-frequency multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 81-99, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071104
20. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Method, IEEE Press, NY, 1993.
21. Van de Hulst, H. C., Light Scattering by Small Particles, Reprinted by Dover Publication, NY, 1981.
22. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142818
23. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, John Wiley, NY, 1983.
24. Mätzler, C., MATLAB function for Mie scattering and absorption, Research Report 2002-08, Institut für Angewandte Physik, Universitas Bernensis, 2002.
26. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "Wave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Phys. Rev. E Stat. Nonlin. Soft Matter Phys., Vol. 64, No. 5, 056625, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.64.056625
27. Sheng, X. Q., J. M. Jin, J. M. Song, W. C. Chew, and C. C. Lu, "Solution of combined-field integral equation using multi-level fast multipole method for scattering by homogeneous bodies," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1718-1726, Nov. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.736628
28. Saad, Y. and M. Schultz, "GMRES: A generalized minimal residual algorithm for solving nonsymmetric linear systems," SIAMJ. Sci. Statist. Comput., Vol. 7, No. 15, 856-869, 1986. doi:10.1137/0907058
29. Lloyd, T. W., J. M. Song, and M. Yang, "Numerical study of surface integral formulations for low-contrast objects," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 4, 482-485, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.862062
30. Ylä-Oijala, P. and M. Taskinen, "Improving conditioning of electromagnetic surface integral equations using normalized field quantities," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 1, January 2007.