In the paper, an Illuminating Modes concept is introduced in order to find microstrip antenna parameters - resonant frequency, resonant resistance and radiation pattern. The concept is based on illuminating the rectangular patch by a single normally-incident plane wave. It results in the surface current density induced on the patch which is found by means of two-dimensional Spectral Domain Approach. Then, the resonant frequency, the quality factor, the resonant resistance and the radiation pattern of the analysed antenna are found. Application of Illuminating Mode concept in Spectral Domain Approach effects in analysis simplification and less time consuming calculations with no waste of the accuracy. Exemplary results for several kinds of radiators are presented, showing satisfactory level of agreement with published data.
1. Takahashi, M., T. Arima, and T. Uno, "FDTD analysis of printed antenna on thin dielectric sheet including quasistatic approximation," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 1022-1025, 2004.
2. Li, L. W., S. Gao, and A. Sambell, "FDTD analysis of a dual-frequency microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 155-178, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04121201
3. He, S., Y. Chen, S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "Fast analysis of microstrip antennas over a frequency band using an accurate mom matrix interpolation technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 301-324, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10081107
4. Bahl, I., R. Garg, P. Bhartia, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, London, 2000.
5. Mrkvica, J., J. Zehentner, and J. Machac, "Spectral domain analysis of open planar transmission lines," Microwave Review, Vol. 10, No. 2, 36-42, 2004.
6. Zieniutycz, W., "Application of hybrid radiation modes of a microstrip line in the design of rectangular microstrip antennas," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 145, No. 5, 421-423, October 1998. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19982063
7. Zieniutycz, W., "Hybrid radiation modes of microwave integrated circuit (MIC) lines-theory and application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 299-322, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05072102
8. Marynowski, W., P. Kowalczyk, and J. Mazur, "On the characteristic impedance definition in microstrip and coplanar lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 219-235, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10090301
9. Itoh, T. and W. Menzel, "A full-wave analysis method for open microstrip structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 6, 1191-1196, November 1982.
10. Kataria, N., A. Kedar, and K. Gupta, "Spectral-domain modeling of superconducting microstrip structures: transmission lines and resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 41, No. 1, 55-59, April 2004.
11. Pozar, D., "Input impedance and mutual coupling of rectangular microstrip antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 1, 63-68, January 1981.
12. Wu, Z.-S. and J.-J. Zhang, "Composite electromagnetic scattering from the plate target above a one-dimensional sea surface: taking the diffraction into account," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 317-331, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032902
13. Apostol, M. and G. Vaman, "Plasmons and diffraction of an electro-magnetic plane wave by a metallic sphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 97-118, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09100103
14. Hong, T., L.-T. Jang, Y.-X. Xu, S.-X. Gong, and W. Jiang, "Radiation and scattering analysis of a novel circularly polarized slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1709-1720, 2010.
15. Eom, H. J., Electromagnetic Wave Theory for Boundary-Value Problems, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2004.
16. Qing, A., "Vector spectral-domain method for the analysis of frequency selective surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 201-232, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06091401
17. Jansen, R. H., "The spectral-domain approach for microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 33, No. 10, 1043-1056, October 1985. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1985.1133168
18. Rhodes, D. R., Synthesis of Planar Antenna Sources, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1974.
19. Shevchenko, V. V., Continuous Transitions in Open Waveguides, Prentise Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1973.
20. Harrington, R. R., Time-Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, Toronto, London, 1961.