Two different designs of orthomode transducers for the coming Ku-band receiver of the Italian radio telescope in Medicina are presented and compared, showing design details, describing numerical simulations and discussing manufacturing and test results. Such orthomode transducers provide a tradeoff between low-loss and phase-matching, according to different initial requirements where the final receiver architecture has to be frozen. Both designs show high performance over the operative 13.5-18.1 GHz Ku-band. One of the OMT designs has been fabricated and tested, showing results in very good agreement with simulations.
1. Leal-Sevillano, C. A., J. R. Montejo-Garai, J. M. Rebollar, and J. A. Ruiz-Cruz, "CAD for dual-band polarizers in corrugated rectangular waveguide," 41st European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 822-825, Manchester, UK, Oct. 9-14, 2011.
2. Chang, C., S. Church, S. Tantawi, P. Larkoski, M. Sieth, and K. Devaraj, "Theory and experiment of a compact waveguide dual circular polarizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 211-225, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12072601
3. Boifot, A. M., E. Lier, and T. Schaug-Pettersen, "Simple and broadband orthomode transducer (antenna feed)," IEE Proc. H, Vol. 137, 396-400, Dec. 1990.
4. Tiwari, V. N. and T. Tiwari, "Design and development of orthomode transducer for X-band frequency," 2015 IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-2, Dec. 2015.
5. Ruiz-Cruz, J. A., J. R. Montejo-Garai, C. A. Leal-Sevillano, and J. M. Rebollar, "Development of folded dual-polarization dividers for broadband ortho-mode transducers," Asia-Pacic Microwave Conference (APMC), Vol. 2, 1-3, Melbourne, AU, Dec. 5-8, 2015.
6. Banham, R., L. Lucci, V. Natale, R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, S. Selleri, G. Tofani, and G. Valsecchi, "Electroformed front-end at 100 GHz for radio-astronomical applications," Microwave J., Vol. 48, No. 8, 112-122, 2005.
7. Park, S. G., H. Lee, and Y. H. Kim, "A turnstile junction waveguide orthomode transducer for the simultaneous dual polarization radar," Asia-Pacic Microwave Conference (APMC), 135-138, Dec. 7-10, 2009.
8. Meyer, M. A. and H. B. Goldberg, "Applications of the turnstile junction," IRE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 3, No. 6, 40-45, 1955. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1955.1124990
9. Gentili, G. G., R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "Orthomode transducers," The Wiley Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, K. Chang, Ed., Vol. 4, 3547-3563, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 2005.
10. Uher, U. R. J. and J. Bornemann, Waveguide Components for Antenna Feed Systems: Theory and CAD, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1993.
11. Lucci, L., R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "A stackable constant-width corrugated horn design for high-performance and low-cost feed arrays at millimeter wavelengths," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1162-1165, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2219847
12. Chang, C., S. G. Tantawi, S. Church, J. Neilson, and P. V. Larkoski, "Novel compact waveguide dual circular polarizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 1-16, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121003
13. Navarrini, A. and R. L. Plambeck, "A turnstile junction waveguide orthomode transducer," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 272-277, January 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.860505
14. Srikanth, S. and M. Solatka, "A compact full waveguide band turnstile junction orthomode transducer," XXXth URSI General Assembly and Scientic Symposium, 1-4, Istanbul, TR, Aug. 13-20, 2011.
15. San-Blas, A.-A., F. Perez, J. Gil, F. Mira, V. Boria, and B. Gimeno Martinez, "Full-wave analysis ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 149-158, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11051703
16. Navarrini, A. and R. Nesti, "Symmetric reverse-coupling waveguide orthomode transducer for the 3-mm band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 80-88, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2008943
17. Ruiz-Cruz, J. A., J. R. Montejo-Garai, J. M. Leal-Sevillano, and C. A. Rebollar, "Orthomode transducers with folded double-symmetry junctions for broadband and compact antenna feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 3, 1160-1168, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2794364
18. Virone, G., O. A. Peverini, M. Lumia, G. Addamo, and R. Tascone, "Platelet orthomode transducer for Q-band correlation polarimeter clusters," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 7, 1487-1494, 2014.